Sour Wheat?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by EvolutionAles, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Trying to make a fermented and carbed wheat sour. So I've already brewed a plain wheat ale and naturally carbed it in the bottle. There are two cases of this beer leftover and it's just boring so why not experiment? Is it possible to take the bottled beer and pour it in a secondary fermenter, add some fresh fruit and brett? Am I attempting the impossible? Has anyone does this before? So many questions and possibilities!

2. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (545) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

I've done something like this before. A few pointers. Make sure you flush the containers receiving the beer with CO2 before and after. Leave room for fermentation to kick back up if adding fruit. Be aware that you will have to go slow, as you pour the fermented and carbed beer into the new container it will foam up and you will have to wait for it to die down. Also be aware that this might not work, you could end up with more beer you don't want to drink, or something great. Brett and fruit will not create a "sour" beer, only fruity and funky. For a sour and funky beer you will need Lacto and Pedio, which you would want to add along with the Brett (dregs from a commercial sour beer) and let it go for awhile before adding the fruit.

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (775) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I think you might dissolve a lot of 02 into the beer as you are pouring it out of the bottles. So premature oxidation is a possibility, unless the brett can use it all. (Don't know, not a brett expert.)

4. I would be concerned about oxidation. Hopefully OldSock will chime in with his thoughts.

Cheers!

5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I used to get on the brett doesn't mean sour bandwagon, however some strains do produce an acidic flavor. Wlp670 throws a bit of acid for sure.

6. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (545) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

True. I do remember reading that some of the Brett strains produce acetic acid. So I guess if the OP wants a slightly tart beer using the correct Brett strain might help, but if he wants a truly sour beer, he would need bacteria at work with the Brett.

7. Oxidation is my biggest worry, but I do want a truly sour beer and not just some tartness.