1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sours for Dummies Two Hints and Hauls

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by merc7186, Apr 11, 2013.

1. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

I like the state you mention, but dislike the "business address" part

2. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (350) New York Dec 5, 2010

This was the first year I did it...and probably my last. It got very expensive and I think I am going to join the Crooked Stave Society next year.

3. Somebody has beer. Hopefully PZALE gives it to the rightful owner;)

4. A box was delivered just outside of our nations capital a couple hours ago.

5. jonallan

jonallan Aficionado (130) Indiana Apr 27, 2012

Received. Will open and post haul tonight. Thanks!!!

VonZipper and emottram like this.
  6. My target lives in a state with mulitple professional sports teams they have at least one team in the NHL and/or NBA playoffs.

I will probably be shipping towards the end of the month. Hoping to pick up 1 or 2 more sours then a few more extras.

7. Thanks again! Loving this Supplication tonight

[​IMG]

8. your other target is going to have to start liking shitty beers.

9. I'm starting to get nervous. Did everything arrive in one piece?

10. Finally received this box Tuesday after it sitting at the post office for almost two weeks because someone failed to do their job.

Thanks to my sender, whoever it may be. Not trying to be ungrateful, but to be honest, I was a bit disappointed about the sours. Fantastic box overall and if I was in the states there would be no disappointment. Besides the Terra Icognito (I can't wait to try this), the other three sours are shelf turds over here. Sorry, but I was looking forward to American sours.

Sours:
    Hannsens Oude Kriek 750
    Lindemans Cuvee Rene 750
    Terra Incognito 750
    Rodenbach (Original) 330
    [​IMG]

On the other hand, the extras were pretty awesome and made up for any disappointment with the sours. I can't get any of these over here and am always looking for more.
    Founders Breakfast Stout - perma want
    Backwoods Bastard - perma want
    DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus - never had, can't wait
    Victory Swing Session - looking forward to trying this
    Weyerbacher Insanity - absolutely love barleywines, awesome!
    21st Amendment Sneak Attack - interesting, never had a saison in a can
    Heady Topper -super perma want, you have no idea, love this stuff

[​IMG]

Thanks for the box. Please don't take it the wrong way, because you definitely put together a great haul. Cheers!

Bjohnston likes this.
  11. russwbeck

russwbeck Savant (440) Virginia Aug 3, 2010

[​IMG]

Ladies and gentlemen, my porch (or, more accurately, mail room) has been destroyed by innuendobrewskiman63.

The Sour:
    Jester King Funk Metal
    Weyerbacher Sour Black
    Jolly Pumpkin Le Roja
    Cascade Kriek
    Cascade Apricot
    Captain Lawrence Rosso E Marrone
    Framboise Max
    Allagash FV13

The SWAG:
    Allagash Glass
    Alchemist Stemless Globe

The Extras:
    Jack's Abby The ABCs
    Jack's Abby Barrel Aged Framinghammer Baltic Porter
    Founders KBS (2013?)

Still stunned at this box. I cannot wait to pop open some of these bad boys this weekend.

12. ufmj

ufmj Savant (405) Florida Feb 15, 2013

Success!

merc7186 and BrownAleMale like this.
  13. jonallan

jonallan Aficionado (130) Indiana Apr 27, 2012

[​IMG]

Yup, package arrived in tact.

Lost Abbey Red Poppy Ale
    Hanssens Oude Gueuze
    Cisco Monomoy Kriek
    Cascade Kriek 2008
    GI Bourbon County Cherry Rye
    CCB Hunahpu

Thanks again emottram!

14. You're very welcome. I had a hard time tracking down sours that you didn't already have or have access to, so I tried to make up for it with the Huna and Cherry Rye :D It was pretty tough to part with those as they are two of the best stouts I've tasted this year, but after seeing the porch destruction you sent in the BIF I had to pay it forward. I think the beer karma worked well for me considering the bomb I got from Hindsight.
    Enjoy!!

15. jmarsh123

To my sender, I'll be out of town from 5/24-5/27 and again from 5/31-6/3 Please ensure the package does not arrive during either of those windows.

16. Glad you're happy with everything. Unless I missed one, I think the only one you have reviewed is the KBS, which I figured you wouldn't be upset with getting one anyway. And yes its 2013. I hope you enjoy everything.

merc7186 likes this.
  17. Dropped off over 225 ounces of goodness today..should be arriving to someones front porch in five days. Said porch owner has a zip code that adds up to 23.

18. Kwaide

Kwaide Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 11, 2012

So by a twist of fate My Target Now knows who they are. I just recieved a box from him today and holy crap. super pumped. His box along with Trade beers and extras will be dropped off tomorrow. looking like its going to be a long day for the FedEx man, cause this shit is heavy. Thanks for the trade and amazing Box Ufmj. Wanted to thank you publicly so everyone knows what a kick ass trader this guy is.

BrownAleMale and ufmj like this.
  19. russwbeck

russwbeck Savant (440) Virginia Aug 3, 2010

I will never complain about more KBS! I've had the FV13, but only on-tap as I missed out on the bottles down here. Very excited.

20. fiedler84

fiedler84 Savant (300) Pennsylvania Dec 23, 2011

I just need one more bottle to round out a 12 bottle shipper and this ship is sailing south......

21. Edit: Box due to land 5/23

22. merc7186

My second target is going to have to wait for two more weeks before his box gets shipped out. There is a certain beer that gets made 3x per week that I am having someone pick up for me, to add to his/her box.

To my senders, Im bored....give me some hints.

23. My target has been pretty quiet in this thread.

My planned trip to Belgium didn't happen, but it doesn't stop me from getting some of the "common" loons and other nice sours. Box will go out next week pending a last minute beer run to Belgium.

24. fiedler84

fiedler84 Savant (300) Pennsylvania Dec 23, 2011

Just send a box of swag to my sender courtesy of a brewery from my home state. Box is heading to someone who hasn't posted in this thread in the previous 5 days.

25. I have 8 beers acquired for my target so far. I'm waiting for 1 trade to come through and I have to get down too the big city and pick up the swag, then the box/s will be on the way.

26. I've been setting aside all the interesting bottles I've been finding, and I realized today that I probably have more than I can actually reasonably pack and ship. Planning to pack up about 200 oz of sours tomorrow. Unfortunately only 12 oz or so are wants - the sour scene in Western PA is pretty dismal. Hopefully it will still be interesting, there will be a couple mini-verticals and a few things that I was able to find while in Chicago a few weeks ago that are out of distro here. Hint #3 (I think?) - this box is heading south.

27. Just sent my box out. Heading due west of Pa.
    Final hint;
    when filling in the zip code, I had a momentary battle with dislexia and almost sent my package to a town called Vevay

28. Kwaide

there is a Box Landing tmrw in NJ. left PA today

ufmj likes this.
  29. jmarsh123

Hmmm never heard of that town. My package also went out today to the same state as the person sending to me.

30. Kwaide

well shit, I was bored this morning and looking thru past posts, and I noticed that my target said something about poping his sour Kriek, and I think I forgot to put a damn Kriek in the box. that would have put it over the 50 lbs mark and made it the biggest box I have sent. but either way that should be landing today and fingers crossed it all makes it ok.

31. Kwaide

MJ, I think you need to head home and take care of that cold your coming down with. The meds should be arriving any time now.

ufmj likes this.
  32. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

My target updated his WANTs since I last looked. Screw you target you might just get what I send :sad:

33. Well I dropped my box off today. Weighed in at just about 30 pounds, which was as much beer as I could stuff into the largest box I could find. I can't imagine how you could fit 50 pounds of beer into one box.

After looking again at my target's address I realized that my Hint #2 about a Widespread Panic show in his town was wrong. :oops: I had the state right, but for some reason had the city wrong in my mind. Anyway, the show referred to took place 103 miles from my target's address. Rookie mistake.

Is it weird to use street view to give hints in these things? Hint #4: My target (and it appears all his neighbors) has an impeccably landscaped lawn.

RendoMike likes this.
  34. Weird, maybe, but it's the way of the times. I do it, can't lie. I know my target has a nice beer shop right down the street from his house.

outoffocus likes this.
  35. ufmj

Have no fear, brother. There was, indeed, a Kriek inside one of the two boxes that were situated upon what I believe used to be my porch...

[​IMG]
    (Sours)
    - Petrus Aged Pale
    - De Dolle Oerbier
    - Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Unfiltered)
    - Oude Gueuze Tilquin à L'Ancienne
    - Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien '06
    - The Bruery Rueuze
    - Fantôme De Noel
    - Lips Of Faith - Transatlantique Kriek

[​IMG]
    (Extras)
    - DFH WWS '11
    - FFF Zombie Dust
    - CCB Florida Cracker
    - Foothills Bourbon Barrel-Aged People's Porter
    - Williamsburg AleWerks Bourbon Barrel Porter
    - Austin Beerworks Fire Eagle IPA
    - Bell's Two Hearted Ale
    - Lazy Magnolia Timber Beast

Just like ThreeFishes did in my very first BIF, Kwaide has demonstrated to me the actions of a true Beer Advocate.

Prost!

36. I really hope there is a lighting fixture store next to that beer shop...

37. Dear target,

Your box is complete, but I still have to wait to ship because I'm pretty sure it is gonna take my whole next paycheck to get this haul shipped, but you have been warned.

Sincerely, the guy who is about to fuck up your porch.

merc7186 likes this.
  38. merc7186

...where is the Unlike button on this thing??? LOL.

39. Kwaide

Happy to do it. Did the trade beers make it OK as well. I was running out of space when packing boxes and didnt really determine what the extras for the trade and the extras for the bif were but either way I hope I got you some beers you will really enjoy and maybe have not had or not had much of. I had to send the Bon Chien as it is probably my favorite beer ever. I still have not opened my bottle of 06 but I hear its drinking fantastic right now.

40. ufmj

Oh yeah...everything arrived safe & sound.