1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sours in the Chicago area

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by yock, Jan 30, 2013.

1. yock

yock Aficionado (205) Indiana Jun 22, 2005

I've recently started drinking sours lately and other than Goose Island's Juliet, haven't really seen many around. Does anyone know of some breweries in the Chicago/NW Indiana area that make some good sours? Thx.

2. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (455) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

see jolly pumpkin's entire lineup

Envelopes and Mothergoose03 like this.
  3. readbaron

readbaron Savant (345) Illinois May 12, 2010

Jolly Pumpkin is your best bet for local sours

You can also find a lot of tasty belgian sours:
    Tilquen
    3 fonteinen
    Lambickx
    Peturs aged pale
    Rodenbach Grand Cru

If leelanau golden ale is around, that's another good one (contract brewed by jolly pumpkin)

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  4. yock

I'm going to the MI WInterbeerfest in Grand Rapids next month. Maybe Jolly Pumpkin will bring some sours because I don't think I can get Jolly Pumpkin in Indiana liquor stores.

5. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Monks Cafe is a decent sour, and pretty readily available. Keep an eye out for New Holland Blue Sunday on your way up to Winter Beer Fest...

6. I'm not sure what stores you go to, but I'm pretty sure we (Indiana) get Jolly Pumpkin's whole lineup. That being said, I've only really noticed La Roja on shelves as one of their sours (mainly because I don't know what their other sours are) but LR has seemed to dry up lately. Good luck searching.

7. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (235) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

Madame Rose

8. Anything that you find from JP will be sour or funky. They don't make anything else that I know of. But they will have different degrees of sourness between their offerings.

9. yepbye2

yepbye2 Aficionado (175) Illinois Feb 23, 2011

Cisco Lady of the Woods. It won gold at GABF in 2012 too.

10. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Pricey at $5-$6 per bottle, but Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge should be available and is mighty tasty.

BrownAleMale and mbockstruck30 like this.
  11. I just bought a 4 pack for 21.99 but oh so good!

12. Pipeworks is killing it with their Berliners.

rmalinowski4 and beelzebubbles like this.
  13. bertram

bertram Savant (350) Illinois Dec 18, 2010

I'd second this recommendation - great sour.

14. Pipeworks Berliners as mentioned above, Cisco sours of any kind are awesome, trade for Russian River, buy some Cascade online.

also don't count out the overseas sours.. Giraridin Black Label, St Louis Gueuze fond Tradition, Boon Oude Gueuze, Hannssens, Tilquin, Drie Fonteinen, Rodenbach Grand Cru....

15. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

I don't think Timmerman's Oude Gueuze has been mentioned... great beer for the price, reminiscent of beatification. Just don't buy their fruit beers.

16. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Timmemans Oude Geuze too

EDIT: See Mike's comment above

17. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I was aware it won the gold at GABF, and I just had it a couple of nights ago for the first time. Solid, but fairly underwhelming. I'll have to revisit it.

18. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Big recommendation for ordering directly from Cascade. They've got my shipping address memorized I'm sure.

clarkw42 and jegross2 like this.
  19. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

Flower Child was my Favorite of PW's Berliners to Date!

20. yock

Will definitely hit up New Holland on my way up to the fest next month. I love the recommendations. I needed to be more specific. What Chicagoland/NW Indiana breweries are making any sours? Got the PW and GI/Madame Rose recommendation noted. Thanks

21. readbaron

readbaron Savant (345) Illinois May 12, 2010

Every once in a while two brothers does a sour, but only askew has been tasty.

22. yock

Yeah, I'm looking for a brewery that's close that I can go to and sit down and drink a sour. I had an awesome BA blackberry sour at the UP fest in Marquette last September but can't remember who made it, Blackrocks maybe? There's suppose to be a brewery opening up in Hobart, IN called THe Devils Trumpet that will specialize in sours, but information is lacking on their progress. I patiently wait.....

23. If you're in Chicago and interested in trying sours, pencil this in: http://www.smallbardivision.com/?p=1823 . And yes, I just ruined the event for everyone. Deal with it! :p

As for other breweries in/around Chicago making sours, I think they have all been named. The Goose Island brewpub has been putting out more and more sours/wilds and they might fill growlers.

24. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

This thread makes me realize there's a huge opportunity for this kind of brewery in Chicago. Of all the breweries in planning I haven't seen one with an all-sour business model, hope we'll eventually get one.

yock likes this.
  25. Also, they're not made locally, but the sours/wilds from The Bruery are fantastic. I'm not seeing as much Oude Tart these days, but Tart of Darkness is still pretty common. And if you really want to relax and drink several glasses of sours, head up to Hopleaf. Probably the best option for finding at least 2-3 (if not more!) sours/wilds on tap (to say nothing of what might be available in bottles). Again, it's not necessarily anything locally made but they're still worth trying.

26. 0zzzie19

0zzzie19 Aficionado (130) Illinois Dec 20, 2008

No mention of Duchesse De Bourgogne?