Sours. Secondary aging vs bottling early

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by rll52485, Dec 12, 2012.

1. rll52485

rll52485 Disciple (65) New York Dec 12, 2010

I brewed my first Sour Red in October. I fermented and secondaried it so it can do it's sour thing. But I was wondering, what if I bottle it while the yeast is still fresh enough to condition it on it's own instead of waiting a year and reyeasting? Will this negatively affect the souring process? Could I just secondary for 2 months and bottle condition for 10+ months?

2. I think this probably not possible. What was your FG before the bugs? what are you adding for souring? brett and pedio (and maybe lacto not sure about this) are going to keep eating sugars (and hence realizing CO2) for a long time. only a couple of points is enough too fully carbonate a beer so unleast your beer finished below 1.002 I think you just have to wait for at least 8 month or a year. the more the better. make sure the gravity is stable for several weeks and then bottle. don't rush things with sours. I'm no expert and only have sour beers by accident but all i have read said that you just have to be patient. i have been seating on one for a year and a half and now finally seems to be ready. tastes great, will be bottling this weekend. just be patient. I can even believe soon i'll have 5 gallons of sour beer.

this being said, there are methods to make faster wild/sour beer. this blog is a great resource: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/

this particular article is very helpful.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2009/11/brewing-sour-beer-at-home.html

3. oach

oach Aficionado (190) Illinois Jul 8, 2009 Verified

Brett and especially pedio and lacto take much longer to do "their" thing than does sach. They will continue to do their things long after sach would stop. That said, if the gravity isn't low enough and you bottle, you will be creating some swell bottle bombs. Let it sit and ride it out.

pweis909 likes this.
  4. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (695) Texas Jul 14, 2009 Verified

As stated above your biggest issue would be the amount of sugar that needs to be metabolized by the bugs to produce acid+alcohol+CO2. I think it only takes a .003 drop in gravity to carbonate a bottle, which is not enough to sour a beer.