1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

South African Microbreweries?

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Chrisheartsbeer, Jun 13, 2012.

1. So yeah, I'm in the beautiful country of South Africa for another 5 days (now in Joburg). I'm going to be hitting up a couple of microbreweries on Friday and Saturday. Anyone with any insight about the emerging industry here? They just had a nice beer fest about 2 weeks ago. Shame I couldn't be here.

If you have any thoughts or advice on specific bottle shops, I'd appreciate it.

~C
  2. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

I'd love info too, heading there in october. I did just read an article about the beautifying of joburg a couple weeks ago, and it mentioned beer as well. I'll dig for it.
  3. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

4. crusian

It mentions the Braamfontein neighborhood multi story gourmet food market on saturdays where people gather and drink local brews...
  5. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

The last BA mag had a whole article on South African beer. Can't remember if they mentioned bottle shops or not however.
  6. See if you can find beers from a craft beer company called &Union. I don't call them a brewery as I believe their beers are brewed in Germany - but branded and sold by &Union. They're based in Cape Town, where they have a craft beer bar. Check their website for more details, including where to find their beers:
    http://www.andunion.com/
    It looks like there are places in Jo'burg that sell them....
  7. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

I think I still have it at home, Ill see what I can find. Maybe scan it and upload it for him.

Cheers!
  8. Actually - their full name might be Brewers & Union, although they aren't currently listed on BA. I'm a bit confused about who they are and where the brewerie(s) are actually based.
  9. Thanks for these nuggets. I did enjoy a Mitchell's (sp.) whilst in Cape Town. English Style Ale. Very smooth and nice. They've been around for awhile here so they are like the Sam Adams of SA (loosely compared).
  10. Wow, I cannot believe I missed this thread!

Andunion beers are dreadful!!!! They are no better than macro lager crap!!!
  11. They sell Darling beers there, very nice brews!
  12. I tried to add them, but they were not accepted, I also do not actually know where they are based!
  13. crusian

what do you you mean they were not accepted? Seems odd, maybe because you didnt have enough info on them? cool about Darling, I will hit that place up when I go. Any other info would be greatly appreciated if you have any about anything else too!!

edit, some quick searching came up with this for brewers and union:
    110 Bree street
    Cape Town, South Africa 8000
  14. Yeah, this location is already listed on BA but only as a bar/restaurant in Cape Town. I don't think anything is brewed there; in fact I read somewhere that Brewers & Union beers are brewed in Germany/Belgium. But it could be that the Cape Town location is the 'owner' of the brand. Who knows?
  15. I added the place, with as much info as I could find about them, but never got a notification that they were added to BA. I think it is because they brew in germany but seem to be located in SA.
  16. crusian

found this, seems to say they are imported also... and there is some more beer info in it:
    http://www.21thingstodo.co.za/?p=528
  17. I know the beers are also sold quite widely in the UK.
  18. Yup - I first noticed them a while ago in the York Wine & Beer shop. Hadn't seen them there before, and the modern labelling caught my eye. At first I thought they were German due to the names and styles; it wasn't until I got home and looked them up that I realised they were from SA. But even then it's not entirely clear where they come from....
  19. crusian

best I can gather is they are owned by: Collective São Gabriel, and they contract brew out of germany...
  20. Vishnu

Vishnu Initiate (20) May 24, 2012

Hi Guys

We are a retail outlet in ZA which we acquired in October 2011. We decided that one of our differentiating factors will be beer. We currently have about 60 types of beer from Greece, India, China, Thailand, UK, Belgium, Germany, Mauritius, Denmark and this is growing at every opportunity. We are in Randparkridge, Gauteng. My email address is [email protected] and the store number is +27117953222. When you are in ZA look us up or give us a call. If we cannot assist you for whatever reason be assured that we will point you in the right direction.

I believe Brewers and Union is made in Germany but has some South African connection. Do not know what it is yet but I will find out. The distributor here is Nicholson Smith.

Will check it out and post my findings.

Cheers!
  21. I will post a list within the next few days of beer related destinations in SA.

If you are traveling to SA, feel free to message me for advice or if you'd like to organize a tasting :D
  22. aschwab

aschwab Savant (475) Texas Mar 3, 2009

23. HopAG and Thehuntmaster like this.
  24. beerpirates

beerpirates Savant (425) Belgium May 4, 2010

Can you stil post the list of the best beerdesitnations in SA ?
    And what brewerie's shops or bars there are on the way from point A to point B ?
    Iike that we know when we are close to a place of intrest ;)
  25. Ah it seems I forgot to do that :p

Are you visiting SA?
  26. I see Home Bru already posted a link to his list of SA breweries above. Check it out!

Feel free to contact me with any queries :)
  27. I made a long list with contact information and also a map http://homebru.net/sa-craft-breweries/. Contact the breweries before visiting.

Not that many bars on the list but in CT I would recommend going to Banana Jam Café, BeerBar on Long, Wembley Tap (opening 24th Oct) ... and a few more...
  28. Banana Jam is a great place to go. Got to try a bunch of great stuff. Mitchell's Brewery didn't have anything that wowed me, but it was pretty solid and a fun place on weekends.

Cape Brewing has a great tour, especially if you go to the distillery and winery next door. They also happen to have some of the best beers I tried in SA (second only to Devil's Peak, their IPA was fantastic).

Didn't get to tour Devil's Peak unfortunately, but I got to try their beers at The Old Biscuit Mill. There were at least 8 different brewery stands, got to try some very good stuff (even one brewery from Namibia, can't remember the exact name).
  29. Camel Thorn from Namibia?
  30. Possibly. I remember they had a roiboos beer. Their stuff was interesting but nothing great.
  31. All the Camelthorn I have had sucked. I dont rememeber seeing a rooibos beer though. It could be something new though!
  32. Camelthorn made a Rooibos beer not long after Christian Skovdal Andersen was there brewing "his" (Bierwerk) rooibos beer. I thought their Bokbeer was OK!
  33. Ah okay nice. I have never seen any bierwerk beers in stores. Id love to try them!
  34. Bierwerk: When brewed at Boston (in Cape Town) they where available there. Ask the Camelthorn stand at Neighbourgood Market (Old Biscuit Mill, Cape Town) if they could take some Bierwerk beers to SA.
  35. Hahaha everything good is in Cape Town! I seriously need to move!