South Beach Bar and Grill , OB San Diego

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by eagles7251, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eagles7251

eagles7251 Zealot (658) Sep 29, 2009 New Jersey

Heading out to San Diego next week and was told this place has great fish tacos. Anyone know where I can find an updated tap list? Their website says tap list updated 7/12/13.

thanks!

2. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2006 California

That is the most up to date you will get. The tacos are good, but they are quite an Americanized version even compared to the Rubios style. You won't find whales on tap, but they generally have at least a few Ballast Point beers on tap. Get your fish tacos then walk down the street to Pizza Port for the best taplist in OB. Newport Pizza usually has some good beers too and decent pizza, although I don't recommend someone from Jersey bothering with pizza in SD.

Get some bottles to go from Olive Tree Market up on Sunset Cliffs Blvd. Have fun!

LSUPT, swolepeer and Xul like this.
  3. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

You'll get better fish tacos at the nearby Oscar's, IMHO.

South Beach has long been overrated.

LSUPT likes this.
  4. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2006 California

Great view in the new upstairs bar at least!

5. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

Of course - it's an excellent tourist place, and a good place to hang out. You just can't go there thinking that you'll get more than a perfunctory tap list and a decent (but hardly earth shattering) fish taco.

6. willbids

willbids Initiate (138) Aug 9, 2013 California

Last comment is exactly right. Its a great place to feel like you are in San Diego- excellent view upstairs, decent fish taco, solid tap list but with nothing rare or unique. Its overrated if you're expecting the best of the best, but can be a fun spot. Can also get pretty crowded weekends and early evenings.

7. rrryanc

rrryanc Pundit (884) May 19, 2006 California

To be fair, if you've never had fish tacos before - and especially not grilled fish/shark/ceviche tacos, it might be pretty earth shattering.

For a reasonable beer list and delicious fish tacos, I'd suggest The Fish Shop in PB. They usually have some nice stuff in bombers and the fish there is super fresh and delicious. Also, oysters.

8. eagles7251

eagles7251 Zealot (658) Sep 29, 2009 New Jersey

Really appreciate the advice, thanks!!!

9. MiScusi

MiScusi Pooh-Bah (1,741) Feb 12, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah

I LOVE fish tacos and I don't understand why people like these so much. PB Fish Shop is WAYYYY Better and it's had Societe The Publican on tap for like the last month. Doesn't even matter what else is on tap.

And in terms of South Beach Bar being good for having that "San Diego feel"... ok, I get that, but EVEN better in my opinion is PB Shore Club because it has the upstairs beach view that SBBG has, but the fish tacos are better. Tap list is a push (both places have stuff like Ballast Pale and Sculpin, Racer 5, Green Flash, at the least)

10. Xul

Xul Pooh-Bah (2,115) May 18, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My office is just a few blocks from PB Fish Shop, I've eaten there quite a few times, and I honestly don't understand the hype their tacos get. Their fish is definitely high quality and well cooked, and as whole, the food is good, but the tacos just don't do it for me. I've tried various combinations of fish and seasoning including their award winning TKO, and I'm always left mildly disappointed. Is there a fish/seasoning combo that I haven't yet stumbled upon?

11. rrryanc

rrryanc Pundit (884) May 19, 2006 California

I love Shore Club (met my gf in line there), but the fish tacos there are unequivocally not better than the ones at South Beach. And if you're going to go to Shore Club, and you're not getting a Redbull Vodka Slushy there, then you're doing Shore Club wrong.

Because the fish there is so good, I like little to no seasoning on my fish. Sometimes the teriyaki is good too, depending on the type of fish.

12. MiScusi

MiScusi Pooh-Bah (1,741) Feb 12, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah

heh, I don't know.... I guess fish tacos are very subjective. Personally I love everything they make but I always just get lemon butter seasoning, nothing too crazy. Took my parents there and they loved it, but they went to Bluewater a few weeks later and said that place was even better.

13. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (1,050) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Trader

If you're going to be in PB, hit up Cali Kebab, Ciro's, and TapRoom.

LSUPT likes this.
  14. sandiego67

sandiego67 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2008 California

Make sure you tip the "urban campers" who occupy every corner.

swolepeer and Eriktheipaman like this.
  15. HopHead84

HopHead84 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,144) Nov 29, 2006 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Same. I like the fish, but the fish incorporated into their tacos is never great. Everyone at work raves about it and so we will continue to go.

16. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 California

Shore Club is full of douchbag bros.

MiScusi likes this.
  17. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Zealot (603) Jun 30, 2009 California

For me the best fish tacos in SD are at TJ Oyster Bar. Though you'd have to go to Bonita where there isn't much else to see, especially when it comes to beer.

18. LSUPT

LSUPT Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2011 California

All good suggestions. Pb fish shop tko tacos are pretty good, but their grilled fish sandwiches are where it's at and oyster night is awesome but packed. Also, everything on the menu went up in price between 2 and 3 bucks recently. Not a deal breaker but definitely not the value it used to be (7.50 for a snapper sandwich and fries!). Haven't been to the ob location but oscars smoked fish taco is by far the best fish taco I've ever had, and their sauces are excellent. Rubios isn't bad either especially on taco Tuesday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.