South Dakota Breweries?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Coolrewl, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Coolrewl

Coolrewl Zealot (90) South Dakota Mar 23, 2013

Looking around I haven't seen much if any for South Dakota breweries. I've heard there are a couple out in West River, but...
    I love drinking local, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, especially in East River I'd appreciate it.

Cheers!

2. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (860) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Crow Peak is the only one that I know of that is distributing although there could be a couple of new ones now. Crow Peak's Pile O' Dirt Porter is a very good beer IMO. Should be able to find it at most good beer stores in the state I would think.

3. jkwikkel

jkwikkel Aficionado (245) Iowa Mar 18, 2008

There's Heist in Brookings, but I think that's it.

4. StarRanger

StarRanger Savant (270) North Dakota Nov 27, 2006 Subscriber

Brookings has Heist Brewing and Wooden Legs Brewing coming soon.

Custer has Bitter Esters Brewhouse

Rapid City has Firehouse Brewing with Six Degrees Brewing and Badlands Brewing in planning stages.

Sioux Falls has a Granite City and Monks House of Ale Repute is putting in brewing equipment.

Spearfish has Crow Peak Brewing

Watertown has Dempsey's Brewery, Pub & Restarurant

darky, Chaz and Coolrewl like this.
  5. Coolrewl

Monk's Brewery - that should be awesome. I'm just surprised that a craft brewery hasn't set up shop in Sioux Falls yet. Just glad that we have Monk's and GSFW to offer such great craft/artisan beer selection until we get a local fully operating brewery of our own.
    I'll have to visit the ones out in Rapid when I get out west again. Does the Crow Peak distribute to Sioux Falls?
    Cheers!

6. StarRanger

StarRanger Savant (270) North Dakota Nov 27, 2006 Subscriber

I would think so since we can get cans of Crow Peak in Fargo, I would assume it would be available in Sioux Falls.

Chaz likes this.
  7. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (860) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Yes, I've gotten it there before.

8. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (195) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

I hope SF get some local breweries, feel a little wierd going to GC for "a local craft" when visiting.

9. Coolrewl

I found the Crow Peak, GSFW carries it and so do the Hy-vees, just never noticed it before. Of course the Hy-vee employees there generally don't know/don't care. Such a shame.
    GSFW thankfully does care. I just asked for South Dakota breweries and the lady led me right to Crow Peak. I'm so looking forward to moving back to SF. The Growlers at GSFW are pretty decently cheap and they rotate out the stock, so should be nice going in there. I like that they are taking the initiative to play around with the beers as well. I was told they are taking an Odell IPA keg and adding more hops to it.

Cheers!

10. Coolrewl

Amen! GC isn't a local craft really since its a chain. SF is a big enough town, its about time to get a local brewery to develop flavors based on the waters of the Big Sioux River.

11. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (450) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

There was Sioux Falls Brewing. Company 15-20 years ago, there were a brew pub down by the falls. Still got a growler from them. No idea whst happened to them

12. jkwikkel

jkwikkel Aficionado (245) Iowa Mar 18, 2008

I think they closed before I could legally drink...

13. Did Sick N Twisted Brewing ever open? I think it was planned to be part of the Naked Winery... not sure exactly. Hill City might be a little farther west than you're looking for.

14. Coolrewl

Just picked up a growler from Monks, and even the little liquor store near me has growlers. Fogies I think was the name. Had some Crow Peak on tap for the growlers, will have to try em out.