1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Southeast VA Tasting Group - Tasting Info and Beer News

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by Hanzo, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

We have outgrown the private chat system. So we will be discussing our next tasting October 21st 2012 at 1pm in Williamsburg Virginia here. For those of you not in the conversation already, that do not know the BA members address that is hosting BM me as I do not want to post his info publicly.

The theme is Octoberfest/Pumpkin beers. If you plan on attending this is the spreadsheet to let us know what you are bringing so we can avoid duplicates.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmSfCJG0gZp5dHM4dUFmcjM4cVFSYUFLb0JjUFRaTUE#gid=0

richardflyr likes this.
  2. Someone asked about upcoming beer festivals. Here are a couple:

Saturday, October 6, 2012 - 12:00pm - 5:30pm
    The craft beer festival will feature a multitude of craft beers, live music, local art displays and more. Admission to Gordon Biersch’s Arts & Drafts is free and open to the public. The event will use spaces from inside the Sandler Center and on the Outdoor Plaza. Additional beverages will be for sale and Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant will be on site providing food for purchase. Attendees will be able to purchase a pass for unlimited sampling for $25 beginning at 12pm until 5:30pm. VIP tables are available for pre-reservation by contacting Christine Layne at [email protected]. Advance tickets are available at Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant in Town Center or at the Sandler Center Box Office. For more information, please contact the Sandler Center Box Office (757-385-2787) visit the Sandler Center Box Office, or visit Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant.

The Virginia Beach Craft Beer Festival is being held October 20 and 21st in 2012. You’ll find the gates and ticket booths located on 24th Street Park Virginia Beach, VA 23451. The festival is scheduled to open at 1pm and run until 6pm. Which means you can watch the sunset rolling in while you are finishing up the last of the samples. The contact numer for those wishing to know more is (800) 822–3224.

3. richardflyr

richardflyr Savant (340) Virginia Jul 28, 2009

Hey I heard about this yesterday. If you're on Facebook, there is a Hampton Roads Beer Forum where local happenings are posted: http://www.facebook.com/groups/123883821015494/

Attention all fans of the Blue Talon Bistro, Trellis Restaurant and DoG Street Pub: October 6th & 7th downtown Williamsburg will be buzzing with the clamor that is An Occasion for the Arts, the region's most phenomenal art show. During the hubbub, Chef Everett's various houses convene under a tent on Prince George Street to host An Occasion for Taste. From 11am until 4pm both Saturday & Sunday, you can have unlimited food, wine, spirits & beer tastings for less than the cost of a decent dinner. Tickets are $25 for one day and $35 for both available at bluetalonbistro.com.

Founders Breakfast Stout
    Starr Hill Cryptical
    Port City Revival
    O'Connor Mild Child & Punkelweiss
    St. George Erdbeeren
    Alewerks Bourbon Barrel Porter
    Bold Rock Virginia Apple Cider
    and Fat Head Head Hunter IPA (yes, really).

4. bushycook

bushycook Aficionado (240) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

To the Beerclubformen guy from the other thread: The women don't get to vote, huh? Sounds delightful. Read your blog, and I'm all for political incorrectness, but you guys sound like a bunch o' fuckin' morons. Good thing you don't like the Birch, definitely wouldn't want be in your company.

5. Hanzo

I haven't read anything on their site.... But they don't like The Birch? I don't see how that's possible. As for women voting, I guess they are just keeping with the club name. At least they allow them to attend.

6. bushycook

bushycook Aficionado (240) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

Yes, something about prissy "unpronounceable euro-zone beers". IDK, whatever.

7. richardflyr

Also apparently you can just go and buy a pint and forgo the $25 ticket. I am going to check it out on Saturday, and definitely get a pint of Head Hunter.

8. Hanzo

If I wasn't driving up to the Skins game Sunday I probably would have checked it out (if they had a later game I might have made a detour). Been wanting to try Head Hunter. Drink one for me!

9. richardflyr

Can and will do!

10. ksurkin

ksurkin Savant (250) Virginia Jan 9, 2009

im a VA BA. the BC4M loves me. i hate the birch. ipso facto, the BC4M hates the birch. but seriously, the birch really is not what we needed here in norfolk. "why yes, i'll have a microwaved pretzel with my $9, 6oz pour of beer geek breakfast that's only 2 years past it's prime. oh, and please have a hipster steal my seat when i get up to make a phone call. sweet, thanks." and yes, that really has happened. twice. or the last time i ever set foot in the place.

11. richardflyr

So I got the $25 ticket today. The $5 ticket was for one pint ish glass, or unlimited pours of beer, wine and food for $25. It was a good time. Unlimited pours of Alewerks Bourbon Barrel Porter and Head Hunter IPA (from a bottle, not draft). The food was tasty.

They also had some Whiskey if you are into that also.

They are doing it again tomorrow in Willliamsburg from 11 to 4. I would recommend it if you make it up to Williamsburg. I got my money's worth of $25 for sure!

There seemed to be plenty of BBP and FBS left at the end. Their glassware was gone though, do it might be all plastic tomorrow.

12. Anybody attending the VB Craft Festival on the 20-21st? I'll be there on the 20th. It looks like they will have some pretty decent brews.

13. Just checked it out online . The brewery lineup looks real similar to the fest tonight in Norfolk . http://www.beachstreetusa.com/festivals/craft-beer-festival
    Don't think I'm gonna make it to that one either . Might go up to Lynnhaven Pub tonight . I just called and they have some good stuff on tap . FBS , DFH 120 , DFH Bitches Brew , Alewerks Pumpkin and others . Plus a great bottle selection .

14. Hanzo

Ok, looking at the sheet, we still only have four (plus the host of course). I guess this one is going to be a little smaller turnout.

15. Kwaide

Kwaide Aficionado (225) Virginia Jul 11, 2012

I might get to check out the beer fest this weekend. But looking forward to the Sunday tasting. If someone could shoot me an email of the address again that would be fantastic. Waidewk@yahoo. If its only gonna be 5 of us then I may edit my selection and bring a couple more interesting beers.

16. Hanzo

Email sent.

This may be sacrilegious to have something distracting on TV during a tasting, but any chance I can get the Redskins/Giants game on TV? Totally forgot it was a 1pm game.

17. I wouldn't have a problem with it . Beer and football go along anyhow . Looks like I can make it Sunday now but I would like to catch a ride . I live in Va. Beach but can meet anywhere on the south side . Will throw in for gas . Hopefully I will see you guys there .

18. riotinmyskull

riotinmyskull Savant (290) Virginia Dec 15, 2011

FYI- not tasting related but i guess this is also our local thread as well...smartmouth brewing will be tapping their first keg tonight at the public house in norfolk. it'll be their saison (alter ego).

19. Hanzo

Nice, always happy to see another local brewery. If they are just now opening I'll assume it will be a while before they start bottling?

20. riotinmyskull

no plans to bottle yet. they knew the law would pass to allow breweries to have a tasting room so that was included in their construction plans. tasting room should open early to mid november and they'll have 3 year round beers on tap for growler fills.

check their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/SmartmouthBeer

21. One of my good buddies brews for Smartmouth. Hung out at the brewery last week and tried the Alter Ego, definitely a tasty saison. They will also be at the VB Craft Beer Festival this weekend. I'll be there Sunday, anyone else going?

22. Not sure if I'm going or not. Right now, I'm planning on the wine fest. More convenient for me.

23. So do beer this weekend and then do the Chesapeake Wine Fest next weekend. Boom.

24. richardflyr

Ladies and gentlemen, the final tally from the tasting this afternoon.

I know the first picture is a bit odd, it was the panorama and my phone was complaining I was "too fast"

A good time was had by all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Head-high and LambicKing like this.
  25. riotinmyskull

who brought the DayTime and where'd they get it?

26. Hanzo

What is the loon next to Rose de Gambrinus?

Looks like a nice line up....still bummed I couldn't make it.

27. richardflyr

Grand Cru Bruocsella (but you already know that, having found out by other means).

You'll just have to make the next one! Speaking of the next one, any ideas of when/where?

28. Kwaide

Kwaide Aficionado (225) Virginia Jul 11, 2012

hey I just posted in the last thread, But I have made a closed facebook group for us to post in. it may be a little easier for us and certianly myself since there is not yet an app for BA and I do a lot of things on my phone as of late. but if you would like to Join friend me on the bookface and I will add you in.

29. Surly Wet is damn delicious. I'm trying to get more. Getting 2 packages from Cali (Pliny, Lost Abbey, Bruery, Alaskan) and one from Florida (cigar city) this week, and another from Cali and one from Illinois (Three Floyds) the following week, so I vote on another get together soon.

30. riotinmyskull

soo....does anyone have the scoop on Lagunita's Brown Shugga? anyone seen it? know when to expect it? i know it's already in richmond...just wondering when it would reach hampton roads.

31. Hanzo

Haven't seen or heard anything about Brown Shugga yet. Didn't they also make Daytime IPA or something that we never got either?

32. riotinmyskull

yep...and richmond already has them both so i'm starting to worry.

33. Hit up Grape and Gourmet and Oceana Package store and didn't see it.

34. Hanzo

What the hell is Oceana Package store? I'm going to assume on base, but I just want to make sure I am not missing a beer store in the area.

35. Total Wine says estimated Nov delivery but of course it could always be there sooner.

36. Yes. On base. They carry some quality beers, and every now and then I'll find something you can't find anywhere else in the area. I will be quite sad next June when my military ID expires :(

37. Head-high

Head-high Aficionado (140) Virginia Jun 15, 2012

Need to check Chip's in Moyock. They seem to get more/different Lagunitas in NC than VA.

38. Empire's a possibility too. They seem to stay on top of new releases.

39. dnolan36

dnolan36 Initiate (0) Virginia Nov 5, 2008

Not trying to intrude on your party but I like what you all are doing here. I recently started a tasting group with a fellow BA down here in south western Virginia. If any of your folks ever make it to the left part of the state and are looking to drink some beers let me know and I can get a few others to join in as well.

Hanzo, LambicKing and Head-high like this.
  40. Right on, our beer brother