1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Southeast VA Tasting Group - Tasting Info and Beer News

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by Hanzo, Oct 5, 2012.

1. riotinmyskull

riotinmyskull Savant (290) Virginia Dec 15, 2011

chip's actually already has SN's narwhal. i asked them about brown shugga via facebook and they haven't got it yet.
  2. riotinmyskull

anyone been to Trader Joe's in the past couple days? I hear the 2012 Vintage Ale is available.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Smartmouth's tasting room is opening this weekend and they are giving free tours, anyone thinking of heading down there and taking a little looksee? I know they only have three beers available but I am thinking I still want to stop in and check it out.

4:30-7pm Fri
    Noon-7pm Saturday
  4. It is. Picked up a bottle from the Va Beach store. Big endcap up front, 4.99 as usual.
  5. Hanzo

Tried Smartmouth's Murphy's Law Amber last night at Ynot....eh, it was very meh but I understand that they need an entry level approachable beer for the masses.
  6. Head-high

Head-high Aficionado (140) Virginia Jun 15, 2012

Yeah I though it was smart of them to have a Fat Tire style beer that would appease the majority. I'm looking forward to trying the IPA and Saison. :fingerscrossed:
  7. Hanzo

Their Saison was on point, a fantastic example of the style, nothing crazy just super solid.
    Head-high likes this.
  8. StoutSeth

StoutSeth Savant (265) Virginia Sep 24, 2010

Holy crap, I just found this group... never messed with the forums on here before, but I'm up in Hampton and would love to be a part of the next tasting...
  9. richardflyr

richardflyr Savant (340) Virginia Jul 28, 2009

Welcome aboard! We need to figure out the details of the next tasting for sure.
  10. riotinmyskull

just to piggyback on this...i'll be going on saturday but i have no idea what time (probably at noon). growlers (the actual growler itself) will be $5...not sure about fills but i'm sure they'll be around $10-12. not sure if they'll accept other brewery's growlers. pint glasses are $5, snifters are $7 and tap handles are $30.
  11. Hanzo

Speaking of our next tasting, was thinking possibly the 2nd of December? Thoughts?
  12. Will try to get by SM late afternoon.
  13. Goin to Lynnhaven Pub tonight . They are having a firkin of Beach Brewing's new Barleywine . Will ask again about having a tasting there . They had the SM saison on tuesday . It maybe still be on tap . I'm hoping they will get the IPA soon .
  14. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Excellent...another dude on this side of the water. Those southerners were starting to get on my nerves.
    SierraDeuce and SethCaddell like this.
  15. Head-high

Anybody have Smartmouth's IPA? Would love to hear how it is.
  16. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Dec 2 sounds good to me...ideas on where? Theme?
  17. Hanzo

I have a growler of it I picked up from Whole Foods. Will be trying it out tonight.

Maltytasker is trying to get us in at Lynnhaven Pub. I vote for a free for all theme.
  18. riotinmyskull

19. Hanzo

From all the pictures I've seen they look like they have a very nice tasting room. Can't wait to make it out there.
  20. Head-high

Yeah looks nice. Man I hope they put out quality brew. We're hurting for a good local brewery.
    LambicKing likes this.
  21. Hanzo

I am anxious to hear about Beach Brewings Blackfin barley wine. I think Maltytasker tried it last night.
  22. Had a snifter of it last night . Got to keep the glass too ! I liked it . Was very strong , Bourbon Barrel Aged and 12% . Tasted more like a strong ale than a barleywine to me . Not much of a hop presence . Got better as it warmed up .
    Not sure what bottles are going for but I will pick some up . Nice first effort .

Didn't ask about the tasting . Will do so soon . If we can't work it out with them we could always stop by for a couple and then go over to my place to open bottles . 2 blocks away . Either way works for me .
  23. abrahm

abrahm Aspirant (40) Virginia May 26, 2011

I missed the Sept tasting because I went up to VT. I missed the Oct tasting because I was out in southern CA. I'll be around for this next one!
  24. Head-high

Had the Rule G tonight. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. For an IPA billed as west coast style I got very little citrus out of it. Not a lot in the nose either. Was hoping to try the Saison but didn't get to.
  25. Hanzo

Rule G was pretty good. I mean it doesn't have the gusto to keep up with the big boys, but compared to some of the other local brews I think it holds its own for sure.
  26. Went to SM tasting room yesterday. Place was packed. Cool people. Beers were solid. A good time was had by all.
  27. StoutSeth

I'm up for the Dec 2nd date...
  28. Hanzo

G&G just got some Imperial Biscotti Break in and Whole Foods has Narwhal finally in. Good beer news day for sure.
  29. Looks like I'll be at the Grape tomorrow.
  30. StoutSeth

Called Whole Foods and they don't have any Narwal. Is it gone already? Holy cow
  31. Hanzo

I guess I should have mentioned it was the Whole Foods in Virginia Beach.
  32. StoutSeth

That's the one I called. I wonder if the guy didn't know what he was looking for...
  33. Hanzo

From the picture on Facebook they had almost a pallet of it, so no way they sold it all. Whoever you talked to must had not known what was what.
  34. StoutSeth

They called back today. 4 packs for somewhere around 10 buck apiece. Not too bad. Total Wine in Newport News is supposed to have Narwal in next week, fyi.
  35. Head-high

TW in Chesapeake has a tower of Narwal. Maybe 5 cases.
  36. Grape and Gourmet received their shipment of SN today . Narwal and Estate Ale . Haven't tried the Narwal yet but I'm trying the Estate Ale now . Real fresh and tasty . They also had the Beach Brewing Blackfin BB Barleywine .
  37. Hanzo

Ok, it has been set in stone. The next tasting will be Sunday, December 2nd, 1pm at Maltytaskers house in Virginia Beach. There is no theme, we are going to roll wild card this time. We'll see if LambicKing will make us another spreadsheet so we can avoid duplicates of beer/food/supplies. If you are not in our tasting groups BM convo please BM one of us to get Maltytaskers address if you are interested in coming.
  38. How far are you guys from Charlotte?
  39. Hanzo

Google tells me Charlotte, VA is about 3-3.5 hrs from the Virginia Beach, VA area.
  40. Charlotte NC is about 6 hours away from here .