1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Southeast VA Tasting Group - Tasting Info and Beer News

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by Hanzo, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Oh damn he was talking about Charlotte NC, lol.
    bryanole27 likes this.
  2. montman

montman Savant (250) Virginia Mar 10, 2009

Off topic a bit but FYI TW Chesapeake had bolt cutter today, a few bottles left as of this afternoon
  3. Head-high

Head-high Aficionado (140) Virginia Jun 15, 2012

All gone now.
  4. Hanzo

Why does Sunday feel so far away? Argh!

From the sheet and people bringing friends this looks to have a big turnout.

As far as structure goes, for those that were at the tasting at Let's Talk Wine, should we have it where one bottle is cracked, glasses are mustered and equal amounts are poured, then rinse and repeat bottle by bottle? It seemed like at the Wanna B's tasting it was kind of a wild west free for all, which doesn't work with a larger group when dealing with splitting single bombers/750s.

Thoughts?
  5. richardflyr

richardflyr Savant (340) Virginia Jul 28, 2009

I agree with you Mike - we should do a one at a time, with a designated pour-er*. I think that prevents people from over-pouring their samples like SOME people I know... ;)

It might make things run a bit slower though, as we wait for some people to finish up a few samples. But I think it would be much more organized.

*not it
  6. Hanzo

I vote host pours :p

Is ten minutes in between samples reasonable? I mean I don't want this to be super strict or rush people, but we'll have a good amount of beers to get through. Also, are we deciding on the fly about order of opening, or should we wait till everyone is there with their beers and map out an order?
  7. richardflyr

I don't know if assigning a time would work - someone would have to watch the clock, or set a timer. That's too much, and it would fall by the wayside. Some would definitely take less than 10 minutes. I say we work through them, and if we don't get to all of them, we don't get to all of them!

As for the order of opening, I say we try to plan ahead a bit, but nothing too formal. I think our process the last tastings have worked well.

On the subject of time, when do we open beers? In my experience, we don't open beers until we think most people have shown up, maybe 20 to 30 minutes after the formal start time. Should we start a bit earlier, and have those arriving late catch up?
  8. Hanzo

I'm ok with a little buffer (maybe 15min) before the first bottle is cracked. Gives people time to settle in and do introductions, set food out etc.
  9. I vote no on that . Actually I will pour some . Maybe the person that brought the beer pours it . We will figure it out .
    1:30 sounds like a good official start time but you can come a bit earlier . I invited the owner of Lynnhaven Pub but he said that was too early . I might grab a bottle or a growler from there Saturday . They still have Tart of Darkness in the cooler .

So it's this Sunday at 1:30 at my place in Viginia Beach . If anyone needs details send me a message .
  10. Hanzo

A big thanks to Larry (Maltytasker) for hosting us yesterday. I very much enjoyed hanging out with you guys and sharing some awesome beers. I look forward to the next one!

[​IMG]
  11. richardflyr

Thanks again Larry! Some great beers were definitely shared. Thanks everybody for bringing such awesome beers!

I really liked the sharpie mark at the 2oz line, I think that worked really well. It helped a lot when I was pouring beers, that's for sure.

A good time was had by all.
  12. Hanzo

Yes, very smooth this time with the 2oz marks and good pace on the ~25 bottle spread. Lots of variety too, I kind of like the themeless approach.
  13. Yeah , that was a lot of fun . And semi organized too . Didn't take too long too decide what was next either .Lots of good beers . Anyone have another white chocolate ? :) I'm ready for the next one .
  14. Hanzo

Ok, I'd like to propose Sunday Jan 6th 2013 as the next tasting date. Location: TBD, theme: I think anything funky/sour was the idea tossed around.

Thoughts?
  15. StoutSeth

StoutSeth Savant (265) Virginia Sep 24, 2010

I'm in for Jan 6th. As long as we start around 1:30 like last time
  16. richardflyr

I think I am game for Jan 6. That may change though.
  17. Hanzo

So we will shoot for the 6th of January. During this tasting we'll also be talking about what to call our group. A few members have been requesting we come up with something we can put on our members only jackets. =)

Any thoughts on location? We could see if Wanna B's would be up for hosting again, they were fantastic hosts.
  18. I normally live around these here parts but I'm on a 2-year hiatus up in VT/MA/NH through 2014. Anywho, I'm back for a couple of weeks ... If anyone would like to do an IP for a Bolt Cutter let me know. I know this area went through them with a quickness. Also, if anyone wants to meet up for a beer, let me know ..
  19. Head-high

Welcome home. To be clear, you have a Bolt Cutter for trade or are you searching for one?
  20. I have ... sorry, was not clear in the least
  21. Head-high

Gotcha. Good luck.

The first of Jan. The Birch in Norfolk is having "43 hours of Darkn". Lots of good Stouts to be had. Some BAs are going. As it gets closer we'll pick a day. You should make down for a beer then.
  22. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Welcome back Brandon...how's beer/life in MA?

I'll look for pricing on auto mechanic shirts while Mike checks out jackets. :) Some naming options already available: HRBT - Hampton Roads Beer Tasters/Team/Troop/Toolbags, VAG - Virginia Alers Group/Guild (this one was already not popular with some), SEVA - Southeast Virginia Alers. Ideas are welcome...
  23. Oh you know how the beer is up in MA .... the distro is just absolutely retarded. My favorite brewery up in MA no doubt though was Jacks Abby. I drank the shit out of Hoponius Union. I'm there a few times next year so I can still indulge a bit but that'll be the one beer I miss when my time is done. How you doin bro?
  24. Hanzo

Fixed that for you. ;)
  25. Hanzo

Ok, HRBT is taken by these guys http://www.hrbts.org/

So we'll have to come up with something else. VAG is a little much IMO, unlike the BCFM I plan on getting some ladies involved in this, and while some won't mind I am sure some would.
  26. Head-high

True, but it's funny!
  27. Hanzo

How about

Hampton Roads Craft Beer Council?

HRCBC

Sounds formal and serious though, don't know if that is what we are going for.
  28. Head-high

Virginia Beer Guild - VBG

Nice and simple. If you wanted to be more specific just add Southern - SVBG

I like the way that sounds, but again, I never go so it's up to you guys.
  29. StoutSeth

StoutSeth Savant (265) Virginia Sep 24, 2010

What about Tidewater Beer Guild?
  30. Hanzo

Guild sounds like we are going to play World of Warcraft.

I am ok with the Virginia Beer part, if we switch out guild, unless everyone else likes guild. How about Society?

How about VCBS - Virginia Craft Beer Society

Hell our name would fit in perfect as it sounds like a beer acronym.
  31. Head-high

I like VCBS.
  32. Hanzo

That's two votes VCBS!
  33. LambicKing

Great to hear! Things good here...even better with good beer. I'm no expert but I think that all rhymed.
  34. LambicKing

Somehow I like anything with "Federation" in it, but VCBS works.

"Doesn't Founders make that?"
  35. Hanzo

Think of it this way, if we can stick with VCBS and get a local brewery to make it we can cash in on trades.
    FT: vCBS ISO: Whales!

I don't dislike Federation though.
    LambicKing likes this.
  36. LambicKing

I'm cool with VCBS.
  37. Head-high

So you poo poo on guild because it's too gamer/sci-fi but you get behind federation? Captain's Log, Stardate 2258.42 - Hanzo is inconsistent.

;-)
    ncaudle and Hanzo like this.
  38. Hanzo

Beer Guild of the United Federation of Planets
    Head-high likes this.
  39. Hanzo