1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Southeast VA Tasting Group - Tasting Info and Beer News

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by Hanzo, Oct 5, 2012.

1. We might not have ladies as members, but all of our wives are free to join us in our weekly tastings

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Right, I just meant I'd like our group to seem as inviting as possible, of course no matter what we name it our wives/gfs would tag along, but I wouldn't mind some other women coming in on their own. Just didn't want to scare off any ladies thinking we are a guy only group.

richardflyr likes this.
  3. StoutSeth

StoutSeth Savant (285) Virginia Sep 24, 2010

Regardless of the name we select... I think we need to start up the Google doc for the next tasting...

4. Head-high

Head-high Aficionado (150) Virginia Jun 15, 2012

Nice avatar Seth, You're all growns up.

5. Hanzo

6. StoutSeth

StoutSeth Savant (285) Virginia Sep 24, 2010

I know I'm including quotes in my post (or at least hoping this works) and everything.

7. riotinmyskull

riotinmyskull Savant (300) Virginia Dec 15, 2011

added myself to the doc...hopefully i'll actually make it this time! :)

8. Hanzo

So six people on the sheet? Who are we missing? I know we have a little over a week before the tasting but even if you don't know what you intend to bring at least throw your name on the sheet so we can get a general head count.

Thanks!

9. riotinmyskull

fyi - 2013 bigfoot has arrived at whole foods and grape and gourmet

anybody heard when lagunitas sucks will be arriving?

10. Hanzo

Haven't heard about Sucks yet. I hope it isn't like DayTime IPA and just doesn't show up for no apparent reason.

G&G also had 2013 Ruthless Rye in.

11. bushycook

bushycook Savant (265) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

We got plenty of Sucks last year, both batches, so I'm hoping we don't get screwed.

12. Been awhile since I checked posts. Yes to VCBS (although the United Federation of... was a close second!), 6 Jan and WannaBs. Really like the open theme idea. I'll sign up on the sheet.

13. Scratch WannaBs-- I had old information for the 6 Jan 13 tasting. Check with Hanzo on the location.

Hanzo likes this.
  14. Hanzo

15. Hanzo

Just did some fuzzy math and if you were to bring in 12 bombers\750s to cellar there from home you'd be looking at $200 for the first year (includes corkage fee) for this service. Wowzers that's a lot.

16. Happy New Years guys . Yeah , sounds kind of pricy . Doesn't sound like its worth it unless it gave you better access to special releases .

17. Hanzo

Ok, well that tasting was a smashing success. Think we topped out at 17 people. I think Seth made a great suggestion that going forward we'll use all standardized glasses (perhaps even logo branded tasters for our group with oz levels) so we can better control pours, I know we were running into some issues with that many people involved but I still think it went well.

We didn't really discuss the name, so unless someone really hates Virginia Craft Beer Society I think we should go with that.

For an emblem, well....does anyone know how to do any graphic design? Something that would look cool on a hat\shirt\glass would be awesome.

I know we already have like ten facebook groups going in various places but I am going to make the VCBS one just for those of us that have been to one of our tastings before. (if you are on facebook let me know so I can add you to the group)

18. riotinmyskull

FYI- Newport News Total Wine has Lagunitas Sucks - just grabbed a case and a half :)

Hanzo and Head-high like this.
  19. Hanzo

Nice, been waiting for this area to get it!

20. montman

montman Savant (270) Virginia Mar 10, 2009

Stopped by VB and Ches TWs this week neither had Sucks guess I was too slow. It seemed to be readily available last year, maybe more is comIng.

21. Head-high

Too fast imo.

22. montman

montman Savant (270) Virginia Mar 10, 2009

Hopefully you're right, perhaps all the area tw's get it in at different times.
    On the plus side if anyone wanted Founders imperial stout or didn't get their fill of Cafe Royale it's in vb tw.

23. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

As of this morning, TW NN still had cases of Sucks. Lots. But they're out of Cafe Royale.

24. riotinmyskull

quick question...how hard is it find cantillon around here? and when i say cantillon i mean ANY cantillon....?

25. Hanzo

Very hard, they rarely come available and when they do they are gone in minutes/hours. And it is never advertised, it is a matter of being in the loop or knowing someone that knows someone that knows someone.

Are you just looking to try Cantillon for the first time? We've had Loons at tastings before.

26. riotinmyskull

even regular Cantillon Gueuze?

27. Hanzo

Yup, I managed to get two 375ml Classic Gueuze recently, but I happened to be in the right place at the right time.

28. riotinmyskull

VB total wine has about 4 bottles right now. just wanted to let everyone know but i wasn't sure if that was normal or not...don't know too much about loons.

29. Hanzo

Haha, that happens to be one of the places I picked up my bottles at, I wonder if they are from the same case. When I got mine they had a one bottle limit, I may head back there today.

30. riotinmyskull

Lagunitas Sucks is available at Whole Foods and Grape and Gourmet

31. Hanzo

Nice...

32. First stop was Total Wine Hilltop . Grabbed a six of Brown Shugga and 1 bottle of the Cantillon Gueuze . Sweet ! Next stop Whole Foods . No Sucks in bottles yet . Ordered a pint of Perpetual . Happy hour only $3 ! About a third way through Snow days kicked so they put Sucks on . They gave me a sample of Sucks . Had to order a pint . Great stuff . Will go back for bottles tomorrow .

33. Hanzo

Since we talk about more than just our tastings and it is no longer 2012 I had them change the title of the tread to be less specific.

So who all will be at the Birch tonight for some Black Note?!

I'm so excited!

34. Head-high

I'll be there at 4:50.

35. Hanzo

Ok, it's that time again, next tasting is scheduled for 1pm Sunday February 10th at Lynnhaven Pub. Theme is big stouts but feel free to bring some other styles to break things up. Here is the sign up sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmSfCJG0gZp5dHM4dUFmcjM4cVFSYUFLb0JjUFRaTUE#gid=5

Also here is a FAQ for our tasting group, please read this if you have not been to one of our tastings before.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15r4fz3NpPf7rWBMQkwWPKu6Rp-n1EeKhDt1msoArwms/edit

LambicKing likes this.
  36. Hanzo

For you seasoned veterans of Lynnhaven Pub, they sell food correct? If that is the case I think we should just order food there as a thanks for them hosting our event. Thoughts?

37. They have some but it will be early and the bartenders will probably want to taste beer instead of fixing food . We can buy some beer though and can maybe work something out on food . Will post more from home

38. hornsup

hornsup Savant (350) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

Whats the deal with these tastings? (already read the rules) Sounds like something I'd like to get in on...If the ring leader could PM thatd be great

39. This will be tasting number 6 . They have been alot of fun . We have a fairly solid group that's come together but we probably could add another . The last one had about 15 show up but that included the hosts and a couple of friends .
    Ideally we would like 10 - 12 to keep the pours from getting too small . We do know that everyone can't make them all so we probably have some room for newcomers . Give Hanzo a shout if ya don't hear from him . ( ring leader )

40. hornsup

hornsup Savant (350) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

I'd be willing to fill in when theres room...doesnt have to be a full time gig as the schedule doesnt allow it alot