Southeast VA Tasting Group - Tasting Info and Beer News

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Hanzo, Oct 5, 2012.

1. And Epic Imperial Sout as well. I talked to Danny the beer man, and he was enjoying a St. George Spring Lager at the Porch (actually his 3rd). He was really impressed. May try to pick up some this weekend.

On another note: Damn, I keep missing these "steal the glass nights" at Birch. Tonight is a New Belgium glass (if you buy a Lips of Faith).

2. Cowcatcher Milk Stout is available at Smartmouth tasting room. I think it should have been named "Cowtipper," but what the heck.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (965) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Cowcatcher? What are those guys thinking?

4. hornsup

hornsup Savant (370) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

Had idjit by dugges at the birch last night and it was fantastic. They just overwhelmed me with the amount of imports. I've stuck to domestic craft brews for the most part

5. richardflyr

richardflyr Savant (435) Virginia Jul 28, 2009 Verified

The Birch is its own special animal. Filled with wonders and delights from far away lands.

Hanzo likes this.
  6. riotinmyskull

riotinmyskull Savant (300) Virginia Dec 15, 2011

goddamnit looks like i missed sucaba....insanity better show up around here. i need my barrel-aged barleywine fix.

7. Hanzo

The Birch should offer small sampler flights. I'll be honest, more than half the stuff they throw on tap I've never heard of so it would be nice to know what you are getting yourself into before even ordering a half pour of whatever for beteen $4-$5.

LambicKing likes this.
  8. They listen to me. I'll suggest that. ;)

9. Hanzo

Nice. I don't see Ben enough or go in there enough to have any pull. All I know if I would crush a sampler flight if I went there....I'm thinking something Russian River sized.

[​IMG]

10. Bon Vivant in Smithfield lists it on their current beer list. I'll call tomorrow to check. If they have it, I can run by tomorrow if anyone needs a bottle.

11. hornsup

Met up with head high earlier today at Let's Talk Wine and he said that Alewerks is brewing a second wave of Bitter Valentine and that's scheduled to come to the southside this time.

I'm assuming most of you are on the list for sucaba at LTW since I walked in blind as a newborn bat and got turned away for one since there's a waiting list.. :(

12. Hanzo

Last year I bought three Sucaba right off the shelf at Let's Talk Wine....but I am afraid that honey hole has been discovered. :mad:

But what can ya do....

13. Heading to Birch tonight for some Tilquin, Idjit, maybe Baladin Noel "Z" Barrel if anyone's around.

14. riotinmyskull

a big thanks to beer-a-lot...
    [​IMG]

Beer-A-Lot, Hanzo and richardflyr like this.
  15. richardflyr

richardflyr Savant (435) Virginia Jul 28, 2009 Verified

Quick heads up, at this Sundays tasting we will be taking preorders for our groups branded tasting glasses and group membership card (perk of card to be revealed at tasting). Price will be $10 for the combo and the glass and card will be available for pick up starting at the April 7th tasting (location TBD). We'll also have extras on sale in the future in case you miss the preorder.

**Purchase is completely optional and membership card is not required to attend group events.

Cheers!

(a photoshopped version of what the glass will look like)
    [​IMG]

16. My designated D backed out so won't be able to meet today. Have fun and be safe.

17. Hanzo

Had a great time yesterday and a huge thanks to the folks at St. George for not only hosting us but giving us a tour of the brewery, dropping some knowledge on us and letting us try a bunch of their beers (even some experimental ones!).

For those that pre-ordered glasses I ordered the glasses this morning and am just awaiting the artist proof before they start production.

LambicKing likes this.
  18. Sorry to miss the event. Glad you guys had a good time. Anything tasted that the rest of us should be on the look out for?

19. Hanzo

Oddly enough the two that are sticking out in m head are Lady of the Woods and Smuttynose Baltic Porter.

20. From Smartmouth:

"Notch 9 Double IPA - Releasing Thursday, March 7
    Notch 9 gets its unusual name from the 8 throttle notch positions on a locomotive, with each one delivering progressively more power. Notch 9 ratchets it higher. It is an unfiltered double IPA with a citrusy aroma from a crazy amount of dry-hops. As it flows over your tongue, you'll sense grapefruit and pine. It washes down with a dry crisp finish. Incredibly smooth and straw in color, it delivers the goods on strength. SRM (Color): 6, OG: 1.077, IBU: 105, ABV (Alc %):9.1%, HOPS:Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial, Falconer’ Flight 7C’s."

21. Hanzo

While I've enjoyed a couple of their brews I'm still looking for Smartmouth to wow me. Perhaps this new DIPA will do that.

22. I'm looking forward to fresh Bitter Valentine more but I do hope this is one I'll like . Will probably try it at Lynnhaven Pub soon .

23. Head-high

Head-high Aficionado (195) Virginia Jun 15, 2012 Verified

C'mon Smartmouth, make us a good one! I'm pullin' for ya.

LambicKing likes this.
  24. If you are still looking for Bitter Valentine, I have it at Six in Hampton. I'll be there slingin' drinks all night tomorrow... And Friday... And Sunday.

Hanzo and Beer-A-Lot like this.
  25. Hanzo

Nice. The south side is supposed to be getting some soon. I'm not from that side of the water but several of the people in this thread are. I'm assuming Six is a bar? How's your tap/bottle list? Is it on site only or do you sell to go?

26. I'm assuming Six is a Little Bar Bistro, like Empire and Crackers. If they have a beer list like Empire, I'm there. Great Belgian and U.S. craft selection.

27. Total Wine has Lagunitas WTF in case anyone's interested. They also have a big selection of Weinstephaner beers (Vitus, Hef, Korbinian, etc.). A lot of beer (Bigfoot and others) are still $2 off the 4/6 packs.

28. riotinmyskull

FYI- Founder's All Day IPA is hitting our markets this year and is available at TW and Whole Foods. I highly recommend checking this session IPA out. I had a couple in OBX last summer and it's a fantastic brew.

29. riotinmyskull

just got back from smartmouth...bad news folks. this might be the worst DIPA i've ever had in my life. seriously. unbalanced. buried by simcoe (lots of cat pee smell). boozy. way too bitter. not hoppy enough. just not good at all. you could piss in bitter valentine and it'd still be better than this. you've been warned.

sidenote: i also had cowcatcher and that was quite pleasant. reminded me of duck-rabbit's milk stout.

30. On tap at Birch too.

31. Sorry to hear that. I hope it's just growing pains.

32. Hanzo

I'm still holding out hope, Simcoe may be my favorite hop and I am semi-ok with overbalanced bitterness.

33. riotinmyskull

i would like someone else's opinion just to make sure i'm not losing my mind.

34. montman

montman Savant (435) Virginia Mar 10, 2009 Verified

Wow, the worst DIPA you've ever had? That is disappointing to hear, I was excited to try this one. Still have to check it out for myself but still.

35. Our tasting glasses have arrived! If you are interested and weren't at the last tasting to preorder shoot us a message or see us at the next tasting and we'll tell you how you can snag one.

[​IMG]

36. StoutSeth

StoutSeth Savant (310) Virginia Sep 24, 2010 Subscriber

Incase anyone hasn't seen this yet, Legend Brewing is the subject of a documentary that the production company is trying to raise funds for. I know Legend isn't creating the most innovative or sought after beer, but being around for 20 years is pretty impressive for a craft brewery.

http://igg.me/at/legendbeer

37. Hanzo

They look like they are miles away from getting funded....I just don't care enough about Legend to pull the trigger, I mean I don't dislike them, I'm just indifferent.

Side note, Devil's Backbone showing up in our area is pretty cool. I actually quite like their Vienna Lager.

38. hornsup

Kevin got some Biscotti Break in today too if anyone was able to make it over there along with about 3-4 Devil's BB brews

39. riotinmyskull

KBS shown up around here yet?

40. Head-high

Head-high Aficionado (195) Virginia Jun 15, 2012 Verified

From what I've read on here we won't see it until the end of April. And then, don't blink.