1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Southern Tier Creme Brulee: Who likes?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mhksuccess, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

I enjoy the beer quite a bit, but I rather share it that have the whole bottle. That said, I love vanilla beers, so I love this

2. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

Sweet Georgia Brown...that is a diabetic coma in a glass!

3. In an amazing development, there are people who like chocolate but do not like vanilla and vice versa. Probably applies to most beers in general.

4. Nomad08

Nomad08 Aspirant (25) Pennsylvania Nov 23, 2012

Well with a name this beer has , no surprises on taste. Love it.

5. I've tried it twice and decided it's not for me. Got through most of a bomber by myself, but poured the last mouthful or two.

6. It's a must try beer. Couldn't drink it everyday though. Be sure to have some friends around if your cracking a bomber.

7. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

That beer is atrociously fucking bad. I'm pretty sure it made me a diabetic for a few weeks.

BobZ and EyePeeAyBryan like this.
  8. In small doses, I really enjoy it. I generally split a bottle 3 ways and that's plenty for me.

9. Saying this beer tastes like creme brulee is like saying purple drink tastes like grapes. Da fuq is wrong with you people?

kmello69 likes this.
  10. Liked it and split with my wife. I do have a sweet tooth but i found they nailed the flavor they were going for.

11. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

I love it, but like others have said, in very small doses and it works great a blender to achieve a certain flavor in other brews.

I remember the first time I had it. I split a bomber into 2 pint glasses and shared with my son. The first sip was heaven which transitioned to gagging on sweetness.

12. No question, the worst beer I've ever had.

13. I like it a lot, but I can appreciate a 12 oz. pour at a bar more than a bomber at home. The richness can be pretty damn maddening.

14. Not something I could drink that often, but when then the mood strikes, nothing else will do.

15. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (700) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

I like it, I usually pick up a bottle each year that it comes out. I prefer this one over the others so I'm glad to see it's gonna be around again.

16. this beer is awesome in a 6oz pour and nails the flavors exactly of what creme brule should taste like, and being that the store i work at ALWAYS sells out and i have customers asking for it months after its gone they need to make more of it.

17. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

Funny but my buddy LOVES Pumking and as much as I have shared with him more great brews he loves this! So much in fact in all seriousness when it comes out again he WILL be taking 10-15 cases of it!

fujindemon74 likes this.
  18. He should try Rumpkin...

19. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

I will! If I can find it in NJ when it comes out again!

20. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

undrinkable to me but others like it I guess. That said, I like pumking in small doses and thought choklat was really good.

21. It's garbage. I will never give ST anymore of my money.

22. darthvaderno.jpg

That's really disappointing. I absolutely love Oat. Mokah was also very good.

BMitch and fujindemon74 like this.
  23. Tut

Tut Savant (400) New York Sep 23, 2004

The taste of Creme Brulee would gag a maggot!

24. how did they capture the "burnt" flavor?

25. Oat was one of the best imperial oatmeal stouts that you didn't have to use a harpoon to land.
    I know it can still be found on shelves, but I used the past tense becasue I'm beyond disappointed that ST has decided to put it on the Backburner :confused:

26. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

This is and Choklat are easily two of my favorite stouts ever. I polish off a bomber of these by myself whenever I get one.

27. Its like dessert in a glass. If you split it with someone its pretty good, if you drink the whole bottle you'll probably be done for awhile.

28. You want to try disgusting? Try Rogue Maple Bacon Donut. I wouldn't dip my balls in it

elgiacomo likes this.
  29. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Creme Brulee smells exactly like this shampoo i used to use.

30. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

We've got a few kegs of Oat here, it is delicious to say the least, without a doubt.

ST is quite consistent, I'm guessing those of you who don't like it just obviously have a different palate than those who it was intended for.
    Though I have yet to try it, and probably wouldn't buy any based on half the people here not liking it. But if somebody offered me a glass I would take a sip.

31. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

Some folks here sure seem keen on talking in hyperbole. The worst beer ever? Really? That's just plain silly and borderline ignorant to say. But I reckon this is the interwebs and some folks love to flame/ hate.

With that out of the way, I love the stuff. I buy several bottles every year and have tried as it much as 18 months old and it's still fantastic. I've drank bombers myself on numerous occasions but most often split between 2 or 3 people.

I can completely see how it may be too sweet for many people and that some folks just don't dig on it's flavor profile but it is a well made dessert beer that I'd be upset if ST stopped making.

Hotmetal1 likes this.
  32. Where did you read about the hiatus? Do I have to go stock up on my Mokah?

33. I think the Creme Brulee is decent enough for a split a bottle for a dessert beer. Tasted and smelt like liquid werther's candy. I have a Oat in my fridge to try this weekend. Love the Mokah, and the Choklat and Jahva are decent enough.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  34. loved it. i finished a bomber of it myself over the holidays

35. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

I like a goblet of CB but a bottle for me is a bit much....

36. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Atrocious.

37. Check this thread.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/blackwater-series.59380/#post-797827

I'd be surprised if Oat wasn't exactly what you want an imperial oatmeal stout to be.
    Considering how easy it's been to obtain & not being uber expensive, it was my goto oatmeal stout.
    YMMV, but again I think you will be quite pleased.

38. I don't like it can't drink it. Too sweet for me.
    My brother loves it and can't get enough.

39. Lerxst

Lerxst Savant (415) Florida Jun 17, 2005

Like it when I'm in the mood for a dessert beer but definitely not an everyday beer for me.

My favorite bar offers this in a 6 oz. pour (priced accordingly) and I find that's just right.