1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Southern Tier Creme Brulee: Who likes?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mhksuccess, Jan 9, 2013.

1. I'm not a fan of drinking this beer, BUT I think it would be amazing if someone made a cake or cupcakes with it!
  2. I think it's great for what it is. A self styled creme brûlée milk stout. It certainly delivers on the nose if less on the tatse. But I couldn't have a whole bottle and I only want it a couple time a year.
  3. Love this beer, the smell is the best part, nowhere near as sweet as the nose would indicate in my experience. I've only had one full bottle to myself since ST doesn't distribute to CA. Got to have about 4 oz. at tasting last year, enjoyed every drop.
  4. Diabeetus in a bottle
    Momar42 likes this.
  5. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

This is the first, and only beer, that I've had so far where the first taste had me going 'hell yeah', and 4oz later I was literally dry heaving. This beer can really deliver an unreal range of emotion, lol.
  6. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Love it. Not all the time, but when the mood hits I love it
  7. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

ISO: Southern Tier Creme Brulee
  8. This beer makes me nuts, I want to love it - the nose on it is freaking amazing, and it's not even the sweetness that bothers me that much. It's just that they captured the burnt essence and really made it have a long lasting overly bitter aftertaste for my palate. I actually found it to be a lot more bitter than Choklat (which I love).

As others said, gotta give ST credit for hitting the target with the intended flavor profile though. That cow on the front sure isn't there to throw off your expectations.
  9. anteater

anteater Advocate (500) Oregon Sep 10, 2012

this was a very disappointing beer for me.. paid $5-7 for a 10z and didn't even want to finish it
  10. I think this is clearly a desert sipper and not a beer one just opens to drink as any other stout, even the average imperial. Some people would never like this beer because of the flavor/sweetness, but I think the real problem is that if you open this beer alone you will probably wish you hadn't. It's too sweet and too big to consume by yourself. Unless I've seen it or Choklat on draft I have always shared. It's perfect in small portions. 22oz in one sitting is a bit much, and I can think of many beers that are that way for me.
  11. Belial

Belial Aficionado (205) Illinois Aug 9, 2005

i do not like the beer. i LOVE it
    hahaha you were probably thinking i actually disliked the beer because of what i said first.
    fearfactory likes this.
  12. Someone should start a 'most polarizing beer thread', just so that this beer could be mentioned and get one million likes. As for me, I am at the pole of undrinkable. It genuinely makes me sick to think about this beer. It tastes like drinking maple syrup while being hooked up to a refined sugar IV.
  13. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

Hmm. I'd like to try it with Pumking. That sounds delightful.
  14. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

I think 4oz tastings of this is perfect. It's a great beer, but it can be overwhelmingly sweet in high amounts.
  15. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

I love Creme Brulee. It's one of the beers I drink most. I have absolutely no problem killing a bottle of it by myself.
    Hotmetal1 likes this.
  16. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

It should only be sold with an insulin chaser.
  17. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

I like it. I can polish off bomber no problem.
  18. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Haven't drank mine yet. (I'll do my honest review and then keep my mouth shut, I guess.)
  19. bcostner1

bcostner1 Savant (255) Tennessee Sep 8, 2010

It's awful
  20. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I love it, for about half a glass.
  21. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Savant (450) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Such a polarizing beer, shame this thread wasn't done as a poll.

I can dig it in small doses. Never bought a bomber, but got a 16oz growler fill a while back which got me three servings over three nights.

Some people do absolutely love this one, though. When the 2012 batch came in to my store we had a couple buy two cases of it. That's a LOT of Creme Brulee and a good chunk of change too!
    palmdalethriller likes this.
  22. for what they were trying to accomplish, they nailed it. If anyone has had a few of their blackwater series, you had to know what you were in for... right?
  23. trombacco

trombacco Aspirant (25) New York Aug 17, 2012

You should definitely stock up, if you can find it. They have taken those 3 off of their website completely.

They said they are not doing away with the Blackwater Series, so I think they are going to try some new ones, to replace the Oat, Javah and Mokah
  24. I'm a big fan. Glad to see there's a lot of others on here as well. And yeah, it's polarizing. Yeah, it's crazy sweet. But I'm a Creme Brulee junky. It's my favorite dessert, and I treat this beer as dessert. Probably not something I'd order at a bar with dinner, but I could (and have) drank an entire bomber myself after a good meal and been happy.

Not saying I want this beer every night (I don't want any Imperial Stout every night), but it's one of my favorites to have once a year or so.
  25. I wouldn't drink the whole thing alone because it is too sweet for that, but as a one glass beer I really enjoy it. It's like a rich dessert that you wouldn't want a ton of because it's just too much in large quantities.
  26. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Some places rim the glass (that's what she said) with graham crackers when blended with Pumking. You would swear someone put pumpkin pie in a blender. Like someone said earlier tho: 3/4 Pumking, 1/4 CB. It's THAT overpowering.
  27. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (385) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

its ok to split a bomber 3 ways IMO
  28. I tried a sip or two of my girlfriend's bottle and thought it was just ok. She really liked it though. I don't think I could drink a whole glass of this.
  29. Romulux

Romulux Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 28, 2008

One of my very few drainpours. "May" be tolerable split 22 ways.
  30. I love it but it's no doubt a dessert beer best shared by 3-4 people (per bomber).
  31. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (620) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

It's a bit rich, I can barely finish a bomber alone. I have to be in the mood to drink it all, so I have like 2 bottles in the cellar.

I will say.. a year on them makes them way more drinkable.

I normally like to pour a glass, and then give my wife the rest. She makes homemade Stout Creme Brulees with it. Turns out friggin awesome, since the beer already has the flavor your are making when you make a creme brulee.

That way I get the beer one night, and the next time, I have a bangin' ass homemade creme brulee for desert.
  32. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I think it is terrific. It's creme brulee in a bottle.
    Has to be shared for sure.
  33. It was way too sweet for me. It tasted fantastic but I couldn't sit through another bomber again.
  34. It's the best creme brulee flavored beer that I have ever had. I have only had 1 by the way.
  35. I can handle it in small doses, along with the rest of the series. If it were to ever go away, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
  36. Wow, that sucks. Creme Bruleee was okay but I'd definitely rather have Mokah or Jahva stick around rather than it.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  37. look, beer should tast like beer, last night i had something that tasted like Chocolate Peanut Butter....jeeze, what is this world coming to, sweet baby jesus?

Whats next, a beer made with seaweed, hemp seeds, black & white sesame seeds, tangerines, schezuan peppercorns, and dried hot peppers?
  38. there's your problem right there. amazing how this thread got stretched out to three pages.
  39. Why is this a problem because the beer was so bad that I could not drink the whole 22oz and wish there was less. The problem lies that the beer is just horrible and hence the reason I did not finish and drain pour.