1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Southern Tier DOB?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hoptimus-Prime, Feb 26, 2013.

1. I am a little confused by this abbreviation... Date of birth, or Drink on or by? I only ask because I was at a local store and was debating buying a bomber of Un-Earthy when I checked the date. I assume naturally that it is Date of birth, the only problem was is that it was dated 3/01/13. Either I am confused by the abbreviation or these things get delivered by Dr. Emmit Brown in a Delorian or I am looking at a bottle that doesn't yet exist. A little misleading honestly, considering people looking at this beer in April will still assume it is somewhat fresh. No disrespect to the brewery intended, I love their Stouts, but the Bottled on date for IPAs should be on point.

2. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I would guess its date of birth. Perhaps it's European format and is really 01/03/13? Haven't had any southern tier products for awhile so I'm not familiar with their dating

3. Fairly certain Southern Tier's DOB = Date of Birth and their labels are in the US Month/Day/Year format.

4. Certainly... don't know why I didn't but I will be stopping by there tomorrow, will get a pic and post it to this thread.

HokiesandBeer likes this.
  5. Opted for a Double jack. The future DoB and fact that I've never tried that particular beer steered me away from it.

6. Yeah sorry I posted that before realizing you passed on it. Double Jack is one of my favorites so at least you had that to fall back on, Un-Earthly is very good as well though and it's worth trying.

Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  7. Hell, with that being said, I may just buy the dam thing...how bad can future beer be? Lol

8. I'm going to do some digging on this myself and see if I can find an answer here....for some reason this has me interested haha.

9. For real, maybe if you check the inside of the label you'll find a complete 2013 March Madness bracket.

Plus kidding aside they are what? $8-$9? I've had many Unearthly's and I've never been disappointed...now if it was a 3-1-12...

10. Yeah...$8.50 I think it was, worth a try if DJ is one of your favorites and this one can hang with it. Worst case, I drink it anyways!

11. Yeah I mean they taste totally different IMO. With the DJ you get big time grapefruit flavors, the Unearthly on the other hand is a lot more bitter. They make an Oak Aged Unearthly as well which is pretty nice.

I may in fact pick up one tomorrow along with a Double Jack to do a comparison because it's been a few months since I've had an Unearthly....

12. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Was the date printed clearly? Can't recall how ST's bottle dates look right now, but I've seen some really hard to read dot matrix type dates on certain bottles. Maybe they're doing their own take on Stone's Enjoy By :D.. My gut tells me it's a '12 with a smudged date, but if it is clear it would be interesting to see a pic if you can snap one.

13. thats what i was thinking dap

14. Turns out that is the case, its a smudged 12 rather than a 13. Took a couple different pics in the store but the glare from the bottle makes it really hard to make out. I guess I over looked the idea that there was a 1 year old IPA on the shelf, but It really did look like a 13...anyways, didn't get the old Unearthy, I'll give it a try if I see a fresher bottle for sure! Ended up with some Palate wreckers instead...while pateintly waiting for "Enjoy by" to hit the selves out here!