1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Southern Tier in Tx

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by icetrauma, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Walt

Walt Initiate (0) Texas Aug 6, 2006

Yeah, while every year people bitch about it not being as good, I still love it. I had a friend shop me two cases from Florida when they got it.

My goal was to wait until it was gold. Well, I only have one case left...

2. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (345) Texas Aug 13, 2010

It's a meme like Rare still being on shelves in Kentucky. Either way it's great.

3. jaymesbawned

jaymesbawned Savant (280) Texas Feb 1, 2011

For real, I will take any ST that people do not want. It's not outstanding, but I think they are all (that I have had anyways) good and unique. At the very lleast a break from the norm.

WassailWilly likes this.
  4. TomHouTX

TomHouTX Aficionado (150) Texas Dec 7, 2012

5. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

For give me if I lose faith in ST coming to Texas. This has been going on for at least 2 yrs now.

6. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I had Choklat last month and that shit is delicious.

7. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Mocah is better. ;)

8. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (370) Texas Nov 7, 2011

I'm anxious to try a Choklat as well. Not familiar with Mocha, yet...

9. Don't lose faith quite yet, word round the campfire is they are talking with a distributor now, along with Firestone Walker. Couple those with the rest of the GI lineup, could be a good year to be a Texas beer drinker.

canadianghetto likes this.
  10. icetrauma

FW got label clearance on some brews on the 8th and Austin already has dates of 2/20 for a coming out party. I'm ready for some Founders on the shelves!

11. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (360) Texas May 17, 2012

I noticed today a bunch of label approvals for Southern Tier on the TABC website:
    • 2013-03-13 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / OLD MAN WINTER ALE
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / BACK BURNER - OAK AGED IMPERIAL BARLEY W
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / CHOKLAT - IMPERIAL STOUT BREWED WITH CHO
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / CREME BRULEE - IMPERIAL STOUT BREWED WIT
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / HOP SUN - SUMMER WHEAT BEER
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / INIQUITY - IMPERIAL BLACK ALE
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / KRAMPUS - IMPERIAL HELLES LAGER
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / PHIN & MATT'S EXTRAORDINARY ALE
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / PUMKING - IMPERIAL ALE BREWED WITH PUMPK
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / SOUTHERN TIER 2XIPA, DOUBLE INDIA PALE A
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / SOUTHERN TIER - 2XMAS FLAVORED ALE
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / SOUTHERN TIER - DARK ROBUST PORTER
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / SOUTHERN TIER - IPA, INDIA PALE ALE
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / SOUTHERN TIER - LIVE PALE ALE
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / UN*EARTHLY IMPERIAL INDIA PALE ALE
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / 422 PALE WHEAT ALE
    • 2013-03-12 / SOUTHERN TIER BREWING COMPANY / UN*EARTHLY - OAK AGED IMPERIAL INDIA PAL

12. cfrobrew

cfrobrew Advocate (515) Texas Oct 9, 2012

Woo hoo, Choklat is delish! creme brulee is also lovely! I would imagine theyre really coming if theyre paying that much $$ to get approvals and handing out free beer to places like nobi...

13. rainerschuhsler

What's this about handing out free beer to places like Nobi?

14. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Diabeetus for everyone! Yaay!

JJFoodie and pwsoldier like this.
  15. Walt

Keg 1 in Austin with an April 3rd roll out.

16. BgThang

BgThang Savant (445) Texas Dec 23, 2007

uneartlhy and hop sun are great beers. I like most of their stuff. I hate the creme brulee but the wife likes it. oat, javah, mokah, choklat are damn good for what they are.

17. DanzBorin

Oat and Javah are on Hiatus. Mokah and Creme brûlée are the Blackwater Series for now.

18. BgThang

boo for hiatus.
    what about choklat?

19. DanzBorin

Sorry had that wrong Mokah also on Hiatus.

Choklat and Creme Brûlée are the only 2.

20. Walt

April 3rd roll out but should have product before then. On draught: Live, XX IPA, XX Nitro, Hop Sun, Unearthly, Iniquity and XX Steam.

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  21. HopAG

HopAG Savant (485) Texas Sep 22, 2012

There is only one beer in that list that I NEED

Give me that delicious Pumking!

BeanBone and Walt like this.
  22. cfrobrew

They gave samples to bar owners and such to try, not free beer AT those places. They got to sample their line up, thats why they posted a pic.

23. rainerschuhsler

Ah, so it would be safe to assume Nobi at least is getting some when it rolls into Texas? Hopefully it hits Houston at the same time as Austin and DFW (fingers crossed).

24. April 3rd rollout statewide, I believe

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  25. Sounds right. We got the sell sheets a few days ago and I remember an early April release date. We've got some samples around the office, got my hands on a few and thought they were pretty tasty, mostly just the 2X stuff though.

I'm curious if this will land with the same thud GI did.

26. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

All their shit. Overly damn sweet. I haven't had unearthly, I loved pumpkin but everything else... I hated it. Ill give it another go once its here see if I can appreciate their sweet beers.

27. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Thud? If being able to actually get beer from a brewery and not having to bust ass searching for bottles is a thud, I sure as shit hope Southern Tier is a thud.

champ103 likes this.
  28. DanzBorin

Guess its time to bust out my Chiklat and Creme Brûlée.

icetrauma likes this.
  29. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

I was talking about ST earlier with the craft brand manager from Silver Eagle and he seems pretty confident that Firestone Walker will be coming to SA and Houston next month as well. Oddly enough, he seemed reluctant to confirm the April 3rd rollout date, just that it's coming next month.

jamescain, texasclimber and bbadger like this.
  30. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

I think for alot of people it's the vanity of not being able to get the beer in state so they seek it, once it's here they just let it sit. Some give it a try but others just skip by it. I'm looking forward to trying everything of theirs I haven't had yet and stocking up on Pumpking.

HoustonZ33, Clonies720 and Danielbt like this.
  31. BgThang

I buy a case of choklat every year since 2008. couldnt find it this year. hopefully I can find some in a few weeks.

32. BgThang

between firestone, founders, and southern tier avaialbe to choose from on tap. hmmm decision, decisions

HoustonZ33, icetrauma and JJFoodie like this.
  33. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

I had the Southern Tier IPA when I was in Florida. Didn't change my life, but it was quite tasty. Reminded me of the Saint Arnold Elissa a bit, but at 7.3% abv, with more of a kick.

34. icetrauma

Ready to walk in to my local establishment and get some Creme Brulee followed by Founders Breakfast Stout this winter.

35. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Mokah on hiatus?!?! FUCKING BOO.

Choklat coming, IM FUCKIN IN!

36. icetrauma

I must agree with this. Never had Mokah but heard lotsa goodness about it. Pretty sad they hiatused 2 of the 4 Backstage Brews.

37. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Man I feel ya! Those are both kick ass beers! I will be buying FBS by the case

cfh64 and icetrauma like this.
  38. DanzBorin

3 actually. And sadly the best 3. :-/

39. cfrobrew

Charles and Channing like their stuff so I would assume theyll get it if its available and others bugg the piss out of them :)

40. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (335) Texas Sep 10, 2012

AMEN! - PREACHER BROTHER, PREACH!!!

Put me down for any stout they brew.

lonestarbev and icetrauma like this.