1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Spanish craft scene?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Dennoman, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me a little bit on the Spanish craft scene. As my parents have recently bought a house in Spain due to insanely low real estate prices, I imagine I'll be spending more time there in the next few years.

I found this stout in our nearest Carrefour supermarket: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29834/85314

It's by a fairly new brewery that does a lot of foreign craft styles, like IPA, craft, Belgian and English ales, pilsners, ... from what I see. Are there more Spanish microbreweries popping up lately, or is it mostly import? I chatted with the guys from Zombier at BBF 2012 and they told me there were a few, but let's just say I was not in a state to be remembering all that much of what was said to me.

Anyone that can name a few?
  2. Spring tasting @ ur parents crib in Spain?
    jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  3. I'm no expert on the Spanish microbrewing scene but this topic has appeared from time to time. As I understand it most microbrewing activity is centred on Catalunya, with Barcelona as a hub. If you go there I think you can find a range of bars/shops that sell microbrews from the region and further afield. You can have a read of this blog for some more info: http://barcelonabeer.blogspot.co.uk/ (it hasn't been updated since April, but it still has useful posts).

Perhaps if you state where your parents' house is, people with more knowledge can comment on the region. Also, doopie's idea is solid ;)
  4. endovelico

endovelico Savant (335) Portugal Jul 25, 2008

I'm Portuguese, but I've been keeping an eye on the Spanish scene. Unlike my country, Spain has been growing ALOT in the last few years, it seems like every now and then I'll come across a new brewery i hadn't heard of. Plus, many are semi-experimental (I've seen the term Iberian IPA thrown around) and most brew American, English and Belgian inspired beers, which is nice.

Now, for the bad part, the feedback i have been getting is that the Spanish craft beers are for all intents and purposes really not that good, or at least nothing great (unlike the Italian scene, which had similar burst but with greater quality). Don't take me wrong, you'll probably find great brews, but disproportionately less than you might be inclined to expect considering the growth the scene is experiencing.
  5. uawildcat

uawildcat Aficionado (185) Arizona Aug 12, 2011

I am planning on going to Madrid area during New Years, what should I get? What will be available?
  6. Take beers from here? :)

Please report any findings... planning a trip sometime next year.
  7. Apparently the craft beer scene in Catalonia is fantastic, but primarily revolves around cask dispensation, which is why there's little-to-no talk of bottled craft beer from Spain.
  8. Xavi_Roy

Xavi_Roy Disciple (50) Spain Mar 31, 2013

Let me refloat this post, I just registered today and I want to talk a little about spanish craft scene to help if somebody plans to stay here or wants to search/taste some of our beers.

As I read above, Catalonia region (with Barcelona as capital) has the most important scene, but there some other good breweries throughout Spain.
    Some of my recommendations could be Naparbier, Popaire, Hort del barret, Art Cervesers, Agullons, Zulogaarden, Dougalls, L'Anjub, Yria... there are some beers from this breweries that can compete face to face with international reputation beers.

You can find a big list of spanish craft beers in one of the most important shops in Barcelona 2D2Dspuma.com :
    http://51752718.swh.strato-hosting.eu/mediapool/65/650175/data/2D2DspumaTarifasGrlesMarzo13b.pdf
    From page 7, the first Barcelona name after Escocia (Scotland) to page 9, just before the first Francia (France) appearance.

The scene has grown tremendously in recent years, there is an increasing number of shops, pubs and festivals, and is seen to be a recent phenomenon because most festivals have very few editions behind them, for example the most important, the Barcelona Beer Festival, this year was its second edition.

Can we compare spanish craft scene with some other countries with more tradition? Of course not, but let me add a not yet. Maybe within a years...

The main issue with the scene is that it's a "boom", and as a boom maybe it's out of control, I think there are too many breweries and beers without enough quality to pay their price and we are just giving them a chance beacuse are craft beers of our country.
    GONZALOYANNA likes this.
  9. GONZALOYANNA

GONZALOYANNA Savant (485) Spain Feb 27, 2011

Planning to visit Spain ??
    Contact me at facebook (guardianesdelacerveza), Ratebeer (gbz59) or [email protected]
    I´ll issue good info about Artisan/Craft Micros, craft beer stores as well as craft beer bars in Spain.
    As in many others countries big towns mean greater offers. There are more than a hundred craft brws. But enough production as well as good distribution are still in growing process. Doesn´t mean offer is reduced to local areas, not at all, unfortunately you have to be into the grove to find many of them. Although a few have just crossed the Atlantic throughout Shelton Bros. imports, find them in small areas could be hard.
    So, like a said: Contact me. I´ve introduced many places & Micros in Beeradvocate. As seen Barcelona or Madrid own the majority of them. But other locations have good places too.
    Don´t be shy, asked me. Cheers. Gonzalo.

10. After some minutes searching, I've found some of these artisan/craft micros of Spain. Here you a dozen of spanish artisan beers and here you have a page to vote on the best spanish artisan beer of 2012 with some other brands. But I know there's much more out there. A few weeks ago I've found some articles about iberian beer festivals and the only beer featured on those links is Yria. But there were more than 6 spanish artisan beers on those iberian beer festivals. I just can't find them right now.
  11. GONZALOYANNA

GONZALOYANNA Savant (485) Spain Feb 27, 2011

Don´t care about pages you have mentioned. First one is a commercial one & the second lacks of accurate info. Check this helpful link http://bancodecervezas.blogspot.com.es/. There you will found links to many micros as well as macro. They are listed by local spanish local regions. A few are missed but since page is well updated then just check it regularly for keeping well informed about brewers.