Speakeasy Scarface Barrel Aged & He'Brew Funky Jewbelation

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by nbanyard87, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Just picked these up today - anyone tried them out there?

2. i did not like the funky jewbelation. very all over the place. tasted like thick, nasty cough medicine to me.

3. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Champion (950) California Nov 2, 2012 Verified

Had the Scarface. It was decent. Not awesome but not terrible. I grabbed two so we'll see with the other how some time does for it.
    It's a great price for a local BA brewery, so I'll support em!

4. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Savant (310) New York Jun 25, 2010 Verified

I liked Funky...it was a tad on the sweet side, but enjoyable none-the-less.

5. macrosmatic

macrosmatic Advocate (590) Florida Mar 9, 2006 Verified

FWIW, I was fortunate enough to try the Funky Jewbelation on draft a couple weeks ago in the company of Jeremy Cowan (owner of Shmaltz). I thought it was a wonderful beer about the first half of the 16 oz. pour the bartender gave me. Then...I was completely done drinking it, and didn't want any more. It was the feeling you would get while eating a rich double-chocolate-cake that you were just completely done with before it was gone. I made that observation to Mr. Cowan, and he said that it's a beer that he intended to be drank as a dessert beer, or as a replacement for an espresso in that late afternoon - or something to that effect at least. And as such, he thought that an 8 to 10 oz. pour would be more appropriate. He made the suggestion that if you bought a bomber of the Funky, it would likely be best split between three or four people.

YMMV.

6. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poobah (1,430) California Mar 18, 2010 Verified

Funky Jewbelation is good. BA Scarface is decent but not as good as I was hoping.

7. yoitsarch

yoitsarch Savant (435) California Nov 13, 2012 Verified

BA Scarface was average to me, too boozy.