1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Special Herbs

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Kayn169, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Kayn169

Kayn169 Savant (255) Illinois Jan 9, 2011

Tried this at DLD, thought it was very nice, and interested in getting a couple . Haven't seen much in the trade forums for it, and after a quick search, I only found a thread about a bottle that went missing in a BIF. Curious what these are going for. I know there were 80 cases and hit distro, but other than that I need some schooling
  2. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (200) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

This did hit distro but I think most of it sold out of the tasting room, as it only hit bottle shops and not the grocery stores that usually get Upright seasonals (Some of the distro cases went to Canada as well). It sold out quicker than PnB did and that had to do with the hype around the beer already. It was a Sole Comp previously, so people had a good idea what to expect. If you waited to open this and try it before deciding to buy more, you probably missed out on more.

I'm sure there's a couple people that have a lot of it and a good amount of people that still have a couple bottles, but I doubt they'd come out and FT them. I had 6 or 8 when it came out. They were either extra'd or drank.

After having it, I knew I didn't want to trade away any, so I have no clue on trade value. Maybe someone will chime in about that
  3. box_social

box_social Savant (350) Oregon Mar 6, 2013

I was finding Special Herbs around town for maybe a month after the release. I sent a ton of those out as extras and pounded quite a few myself. If i had more, i probably wouldn't trade em. they were $12/ea with a case limit (80-100 cases or so) and it doesn't seem to have a particularly high trade value, at least not enough to consider giving one up. the curse of Portland beer - reasonably priced and too good to not drink yourself.
    kscaldef likes this.
  4. box_social

box_social Savant (350) Oregon Mar 6, 2013

i personally would put it on par with stuff like Atrial/MvB/CdT, Dark Origins, Cask 200, 4 pks of BA stouts, Cantillon (Rose, Iris, Vigneronne) and so forth. hope that helps and good luck!
    Kurmaraja likes this.
  5. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Advocate (645) Washington May 21, 2013

It was released in July last year? August? I ask because I imagine it's going to be an annual now. Might be easier to wait until it's released again to trade ...
  6. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (200) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

Yup, they said it'd be a yearly seasonal release.