1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Speedway Variations... availability and trade cost help?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by bsuedekum, Dec 27, 2012.

1. bsuedekum

bsuedekum Advocate (505) Missouri Aug 13, 2010

I love Alesmith Speedway and would like to try more of the 30 plus variations out there. Can some of you help shed some light on which growlers are available for trading in if any? And if anyone has traded them away or landed them would you mind sharing what it took? I've only had the regular and the BA Speedway so I'd be interested in most any of the other variations, if they're even available.

Thanks.

2. AndresR

AndresR Savant (280) California Jul 19, 2009

Alsmith will put on Vietnamese Coffee Speedway on for growlers fills at the tasting room on occasion. That's about the only one for growlers fills avail in recent memory. The rest are taster only at special events. The glass is about $5-7 for the 32oz-er. And the fill is about $18, I think.

They had some issues with the glass over a month ago. Something about them breaking as soon as they were filled completely. Not sure if this was resolved.

Either way, good luck. The variations are pretty awesome.

3. the fixed the growler issue

4. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

When I last visited there in July was 3 different ones, I believe the Papua New Guinea version was available for a 32oz fill, but I'm not totally sure.

5. SageO

SageO Savant (385) California Jul 13, 2010

IIRC, only Vietnamese has been available for growler fills. And of course BA has been released in bottles (last run was $29/bottle after fees, 4 bottles per person, in-person only).

Brewzer1010 likes this.
  6. God bless, 29 a bottle? Is that the most expensive of the brewery only? I felt paying 20 was a touch to much.

7. SageO

SageO Savant (385) California Jul 13, 2010

Heh, nope – BA Decadence was about $32 after fees. I think BA Wee Heavy also went for $29.

8. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

I don't have much money, but I would pay $29 without thinking twice. That beer is so damn good!

dman5400 and WassailWilly like this.
  9. Not saying I wouldn't pay it, just didn't know there was any that high. LOL

10. Angst

Angst Aficionado (225) California Nov 8, 2007

I was there the other week picking up some BASS. They had Vietnamese Speedway Stout but no growler fills :( I believe it was there last keg or something.

11. Anyone with any experience on how their growlers hold up? I got a Vietnamese Speedway in growler form from a very generous trade partner and was wondering if I should pop it asap or is it safe to let it sit for a few weeks? Thoughts?

Cheers!

12. How was it filled first off? But seriously just drink it as Speedway is awesome, or if you want send it to me as I have never had Vietnam Speedway.