1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Spicy/herbal IPAs to try?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Flightoficarus, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Hey all,

So, living out in WA, I'm well used to the many west coast style/in your face hoppy IPA's that are common out here (and love them), but I've been venturing into IPA's from other regions recently. I finally gave some Victory Hop Devil a good try, and really enjoyed it.

I'm looking for any recommendations on some other IPA's to try in that vein that I might like, with spicy, and more subtle herbal/floral hop profiles. I have excellent access to anything from out west, and moderate access to northeastern US stuff where I live.

Thanks in advance!

2. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Sierra Nevada Celebration and Ruthless Rye would probably be up your alley, if you've never tried them. I know SN is somewhat part of your region. You mentioned Hop Devil, which is always the first beer I think of when I think "spicy IPA". I'm personally not a big fan of HopDevil, but it's definitely spicy and earthy..

3. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Punk IPA is kind of earthy. But overpriced.

4. 2Brothers Cane & Ebel

JimSmetana likes this.
  5. If Sam Adams does their Latitude 48 Deconstructed again, I'd recommend the Hallertauer.

6. blackcompg

blackcompg Savant (325) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

Please try Hop Rod Rye by Bear Republic, I think u will Love this! Their Racer 5 and Red Rocket are also excellent. I hope you get these in your area. Don't be thrown by the word 'rye', it is an excellent ipa with great floral, herbal and spiciness, and So well balanced - let me know what u think if you can get this :0). Cheers!

jglowe77 and fujindemon74 like this.
  7. Thanks for all the suggestions so far everyone!

BB1313 - I have had both before. Ruthless Rye is great, but I haven't come across it again since the first time I had it.

gatornation - It can be tricky for me to get my hands on beers from the midwest out here, but I will keep an eye out for that one.

blackcompg - Hop Rod Rye is another one I tried awhile back, but before I really acquired the taste for IPAs. I'll have to pay it a revisit, given the other excellent stuff Bear Republic makes.

8. Elysian Valhalla Red IPA is surprisingly herbal

canucklehead likes this.
  9. Harpoon Rye IPA, most of harpoons stuff is rather run of the mill but their rye is outstanding.

Dools9 likes this.
  10. Plus one to this beer

matthaslaservision likes this.
  11. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

For me, all SN pales tend to exude spicy hop character. Might be some old Celebration and Harvest kicking around.

Two-Hearted is pretty floral-dominent IMO. You might dig it.

Napa Smith Organic IPA and Left Hand 400 lb Monkey are both pretty earthy. These are both English-style IPAs, which you may be into.

12. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

you want to look for rye ipas. the rye gives it that nice spice. ruthless rye is a nice place to start

13. I often describe both Sweetwater IPA and Anderson Valley Hop Ottin as earthy in taste. Not sure if that's what you're after with the herbal description.

14. I'll second that vote. Just scored a 6 pack and it very peppery.

15. If you like onion bombs try Deviant Dales.

16. Gubna is worse in my opinion.

TheJollyHop likes this.
  17. PittBeerGirl

PittBeerGirl Advocate (605) Ohio Feb 27, 2007

Some of these are really well done- some I found to be mediocre-but here's some I've found to have a spicy and/or herbal hop quality. I'd say Hop Devil is in a class of its own- a very unique IPA.

Southern Tier Unearthly
    DFH Burton Baton
    Ska Brewing Decadent Imperial IPA
    Sly Fox Odyssey
    Brew Kettle Old 21
    Smuttynose Big A
    Marshall Brewing Atlas IPA
    Ballast Point Sculpin
    Columbus IPA
    Southampton IPA
    Sand Creek Wild RIde IPA

18. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Alpine Nelson

19. This...

and, although it's not an IPA, if you're looking for herbal/spicy notes, you may want to consider...
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45/51480

20. Damian74Shensky likes this.
  21. devil dancer

22. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I would think that English style IPAs might be what you want.

My personal favorite is The Shed IPA. Brooklyn's EIPA might do the trick for you, and they're available in can 12ers

23. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Unearthly had a nice spiciness character to it.

24. Ruthless Rye is a seasonal from SN. It's just hitting shelves again for this year so you should start seeing it everywhere very soon.

HopDevil is the poster child of spicy. Sly Fox Odyssey is a great choice, but you probably can't get that where you live. As others have said, all the rye IPAs will fit the bill, Ruthless, Nelson, Hop Rod Rye, Founders Reds's Rye, etc.

25. I had Green Flash 30th St. Pale Ale the other night, and I found it to be the most peppery beer I've ever had. It was pretty interesting.