1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Spiteful Brewing -- Releases and News

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by BakeBisBife, Feb 8, 2013.

1. These guys need a thread. Brewing great beer in Chicago (Ravenswood). Only been in production for two months. This afternoon, Bitter Biker Double IPA hits shelves. Burning Bridges Brown Ale and GFY Stout have started to make the rounds. Keep an eye out for them. Spiteful is a member on here but has thus far been too shy to post.

I spent some time with Brad and Jason and wrote this piece on Spiteful: http://whoatender.tumblr.com/post/42524252034/really-its-good-for-you-spiteful-brewing

http://www.facebook.com/spitefulbrewing

2. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (640) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

Any word how far west ( burbs) they are distributing? Love to try the Bitter Biker!!!!

3. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (350) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Had the GFY (I recommend it) and have a Burning Bridges in the fridge. I'm excited for their releases.

4. MarkFy

MarkFy Savant (300) Illinois Dec 18, 2009

Great piece and cool pics. Can't wait to try more Spiteful!

5. trbergman

trbergman Savant (450) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

I don't think they do the West burbs yet. Just Chicago and a few North and NW suburbs.

6. DROOO

DROOO Aficionado (205) Illinois May 5, 2009

excellent work, big C. i haven't tried jingle balls, but GFY, burning bridges and bitter biker are all definitely solid brews.

7. cetherid

cetherid Savant (420) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

There are cases of Bitter Biker at Binnys on Grand. Looking forward to trying it tonight.

8. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (640) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

Thought I read a twitter post they are at the Schaumburg Binnys, I will call to confirm and let you all know if interested.

forrestbetts likes this.
  9. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (370) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

Burning Bridges will be a regular in my fridge--love that beer.

10. billywan

billywan Aficionado (180) Illinois Jan 20, 2009

Had Bitter Biker tonight. Really good. Citrusy aroma, malty body. Excellent beer. Chicago is almost spoiled these days...

11. Fitz gave me a bottle of Burning Bridges while at the Central Waters party. It was so dark in there I opened it thinking it was another bottle I brought. Glad I got to share it with others, though! It was a very tasty brew! Thanks again for being so generous, Fitz!!

kawilliams81 likes this.
  12. msante79

msante79 Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 11, 2006

GFY was one of the best stouts I have had in a while. Can't wait to try the DIPA.

13. Hoozierdaddy

Hoozierdaddy Savant (250) Illinois Apr 24, 2009

Schaumburg Binny's does indeed have GFY and Bitter biker. Several cases of each.

14. bertram

bertram Savant (360) Illinois Dec 18, 2010

Bitter Biker is very solid!

15. Indybier

Indybier Aficionado (155) Illinois Nov 15, 2011

Do they distribute from their brewery? Funny how these guys, 1/2 acre, and Metropolitan are within 1 mile from each other. "Brew-muda" Triangle!!

stevegoz likes this.
  16. ddskos

ddskos Aficionado (230) Illinois Apr 28, 2008

Binnys in Arlington Hts has Bitter Biker today.

17. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

I really liked GFY, there was a great mix of hops and roasty malt that worked well with each other. Jingle Balls on the other hand...

18. thereal

thereal Aficionado (200) Illinois Apr 20, 2010

Begyle is also right down the block from Spiteful.

19. With Strange Pelican and Dryhop opening up in Lakeview, the general area within Lincoln & Clark and Belmont and Foster is blowing up.

Glad to see Bitter Biker making the rounds. Ghost Bike Pale Ale is coming out soon. Crisp, floral, piney (7% ABV, I think).

20. Hey everyone, we decided not to be shy anymore! Ghost Bike is coming along well. Thanks for all the great support we have been getting!

21. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (355) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

Great Idea setting up a BA account! I wish all Breweries would do that so we can get more information quickly and accurately instead of us just clinging to rumors and guessing about what the next beer will be and when will it come out. Welcome and Cheers! .....Now get back to work and make more great beer!!!

22. YoungLad

YoungLad Aficionado (215) Indiana Apr 27, 2009

Please advise on when your first limited release will occur, and where it will be available, so I can have my minions stand in line for me. Thanks in advance.

I keed, I keed! I'll be checking out your brews at my next trip into the booming Chitown beer market!

23. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hitting shelves this week. great, clean pale. there is a marmalade sweetness on finish.

dlello2 and BeerMeFitz like this.
  24. OPSippin

OPSippin Aficionado (145) Illinois Sep 18, 2012

Ran into these guys at a craft beer event recently and they stole the show. Bitter Biker, GFY and Burning Bridges were all highlights of the night.

BeerMeFitz likes this.
  25. Man, I've got to try this!

"Jason and his fiancée visited California this past December. Having brought a few Spiteful beers in their carry-ons, they gave their tour guide a bottle of GFY when they visited Stone. One month later, the two had forgotten about their peace offering. Then Jason received an email, from the fellow they’d given the bottle to. The Stone tour guide said that he had shared it with some of the guys at the brewery during a tasting. Turns out, GFY was their favorite, beating out Bourbon County Brand Stout, Cantillon sours, and beers by Lost Abbey, among others. High praise."

26. do they have a taproom?

27. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (465) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Hmmm, I bought 2 bottles of G.F.Y. from the very first batch (first Lincoln Park Binny's delivery) and it tasted watery with minimal chocolate flavor... looks like I got a bad one. Has anyone else experienced this?

Haven't tried the 2nd bottle, yet.

28. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

All these new breweries popping up in Chicago need to distribute further south...would be nice to be able to buy some locally.

rmalinowski4 likes this.
  29. crossovert

crossovert Champion (810) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

the gfy i had was extremely robust

30. ChicagoNick

If you can recall, which batch # did you try?

31. crossovert

crossovert Champion (810) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Nachos4two likes this.
  32. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (355) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

I had a batch 3 GFY as well. Very dry and roasty, nothing to write home about. Had same impression with Bitter Biker. IMO, until they prove me wrong, my money is much better spent on Pipeworks.

jbecke2 likes this.
  33. ChicagoNick

I had batch #1 and it was the first delivery of GFY.

34. NSK79

NSK79 Savant (375) Illinois Jun 4, 2012

I've had all three - recently. I did not keep track of the batch numbers but I'm sure the GFY I had was not from one of the first batches.

All three were outstanding, I would put Bitter Biker on top, followed closely by Burning Bridges, and GFY in a very close third. I'm enjoying their stuff as much as Pipeworks right now and looking forward to trying the newest one coming out next week if I can get my hands on it. I only wish they distributed a little further south to my Binney's in Downers Grove so I didn't have to trek around the city and north burbs for these awesome brews.

Briefly met these guys at the Beer Temple grand opening, awesome guys, and they do check their social media stuff and respond, I got an unexpected tweet back from them after tweeting about having Bitter Biker for the first time. They are also hanging with the right crowd a.k.a. Pipeworks and 18th Street.

35. thereal

Are they donating proceeds to any sort of charity for this? Name checking dead bike riders to sell beer seems a bit hard to swallow otherwise.

36. DROOO

DROOO Aficionado (205) Illinois May 5, 2009

from their FB
    Ghost Bike Pale Ale will be hitting stores next week. Portions of this beer will be donated to Chicago Bike Messenger Association and the Chicago Messenger Emergency Fund each time it is brewed.

Gonzoillini and thereal like this.
  37. They meant "portions of the proceeds," but you get the idea. Thanks for quoting that, Drew.

If this comment is sincere, and I'm hoping it isn't, then take a look at the story I posted earlier and maybe you'll think otherwise. I wrote the copy for the Ghost Bike label -- what you've suggested is insulting.

Malevolence, their Russian Imperial Stout, is coming along nicely as well.

38. thereal

Yes, my question was sincere, as I have friends who have died on bikes in Chicago. Some people can't connect to everything online from their work place, and I had a genuine question. I wasn't suggesting anything.

Seems like everything is coming from the right place though, so I will seek out and buy this beer for sure.

39. Thanks for clarifying Calvin and Drew. We are donating portions of the proceeds every time this beer is made. We are bikers ourselves and Brad was actually a messenger in Chicago. We support the biking community in every way we can. I understand the question, but the last thing we want to do is disrespect anybody. If we can heighten the awareness of drivers to share the road with bikers and help support local messenger charities, then we feel like we are making a positive impact on the community as a whole. Thanks for everyone's continued support and ride safe.

40. 20 West in Lombard received Bitter Biker yesterday morning. I was there on the hunt for Coffee Break Abduction and Tart Side of the Moon (landed both) and by chance, met Jason, who was making their delivery - nice guy!

They already had the GFY, Ghost Bike, and Burning Bridges in stock, but it was awesome to score a bottle of Bitter Biker, as it had been bottled on Tuesday. Can't wait to get my hands on more.