1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Splittin a Brew Day

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Darthballs, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Darthballs

Darthballs Zealot (90) Missouri Feb 4, 2011

Does/Has anyone split up their brew day in two? Doing your Mash one day and boil the next. Just curious....thought this might not take up so much time in one day. Any thoughts? Pros/Cons
  2. I've become a flexible brewer (with three kids 6, 3 & 1, you have to). I have been known to mash in before church and vorlauf after. Never have I mashed overnight.

This weekend was my first complete clusterfuck of a brew day. I mashed in Saturday around 4:30. At 4:35 my wife called (she was out) and reminded me that she wasn't home for dinner. To say this complicates matters is an understatement. The good news is I wanted a LONG mash for a DIPA so I mashed until my wife got home at 7:30. I had also already committed to going out with buddies around 8:30. FML. I boiled my wort for 5 minutes with the cover on and let it sit outside where it was -20C. I boiled the next day starting after mass, and conveniently my wife had to go out for an hour so I had to be inside. Not knowing my new burner, I boiled it over a few times really badly and instead of ending up with 7.5 gallons, I got 5. Bah.

No clue how the wort will turn out, but I am pretty sure nothing bad got into it :) As another data point, one of the long time brewers in our brew club only does overnight mashes with his frankensystem (http://hbd.org/discus/messages/366/30412.html?1141681417) and he has learned it well to manage fermentability of his wort. IIRC mikehartigan did this with a cream ale that he got amazing efficiency from and finished super dry, so it ended up around 7.5% instead of 5.
  3. I regularly mash before bed and sparge, boil, and etc. in the morning. Cover your mash tun with blankets or towels and you'll be fine. I've never noticed nor have I ever had anyone comment on anything being wrong with the beer. The body is fine, the attenuation is normal. Once nice benefit is that you can skip recirculation the first runnings. They come out beautifully clear. I'm often done brewing by 9:30 a.m.
  4. Darthballs

I was thinking more along the lines of, mashing in, sparging, the whole bit preboil. Covering my wort, then boiling etc. The folowing day. Or how long can you keep wort pre-boil?
  5. I bet you can do that but I've never done it. I don't think that having 6 gallons of wort in a kettle is any worse than an overnight mash in which 2 gallons of wort sits mixed with your grains for 6 hours.

I typically mash overnight and then wake up early to sparge and boil. I've never detected any negative effects from this, except for one time that I mashed a stout overnight. I suspect that the overnight mash for the highly roasted grains extracted more of the astringent/tannic flavor from the grains than I wanted.
  6. I know a guy would would get the wort in the kettle and bring it to a boil to pasteurize, shut off the fire, then proceed the next day with the boil.
  7. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (270) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

This is what I do most of the time. 90% of the time it is fine but I will mash it in much hotter than what I intend to mash at. Usually by the time I wake up my mash has dropped into the mid 140's, but this is ok for most of the beers I brew, I still don't get extreme attenuation. Exceptions are on beers where I do want to manipualte the body of the beer. Like the above poster, I've never noticed anything the detracts from the finished beer by doing this. I've often done the same recipes over and over and I can't tell a difference with the long mashing as opposed to a regular 1 hr mash. I'm and early riser so my brew day is usually complete before the wife or kid wake up. This frees me up to brew more often and doesn't interfere with other daily activites. Take this with a grain of salt since I do brew mostly IPA, PA, Bitter, Ambers, Pils, Helles and smaller Belgian styles...all of which are not too sensitive to strong attenuation.
  8. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (305) Vermont Sep 14, 2007

maybe i'm just cheap but losing all that thermal energy would kill me...
    I've had to run out on fire calls or parental duties made me shut-down operations for awhile, at which point I will usually just throw sleeping bags over anything hot, but nothing that is more than 1-2hrs.
  9. Darthballs

Seems that collecting wort after a normal mash and sparge. Putting it in the boil kettle overnight. And then boiling, hop additions the next day will have no I'll effects. I brew mostly IPA, PA, and wheats ofall sorts.
  10. I did an overnight mash for a Cream Ale a couple years ago. Started at 154, down to 148 nine hours later (potholders on top of the lid of my Rubbermaid 10 gal round cooler). Crazy attenuation! It finished at 1.002, which turned out to be perfect for that beer. I'm speculating that the sugars continued to break down as the temp dropped, almost as if I had done a more traditional mash at 148 - but again, that's just speculation. I used the technique a little more deliberately on recent DIPA and was very pleased with the results. I need to document the results so I can customize my mash procedures to take advantage of this new found (for me) power.
  11. That's exactly what happened. You can do a mash like this, and do a mash out to halt enzymatic activity, which will help prevent a highly-fermentable wort.