1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

splitting a brew day: TAKE 2

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Darthballs, Jan 30, 2013.

1. I was wondering if anybody does a complete ONE HOUR mash and sparge and collect all the wort in the brew kettle, then maybe cover it and set it a side untill the next day, then boil. I'm not thinking of a overnight mash, would their be any ill effects from this, or is this ok. I'm thinking it would be ok since I've heard of people getting wort from a brewery and taking it home and finishing it. Sorry for a re-post of sorts but I never really got my question answered.

2. I'd bring it to a covered boil first. My concern i if the wort isn't in an insulated mash tun (and rather a conductive metal kettles) would cool the wort into "dangerous" levels. It would also stop the conversion by the enzymes. That said, even if you get an infection over 8 hours, you're going to kill it off and I can't imagine what flavour it would already have brought to the party...

3. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

I've been intrigued by this as well (it would be a huge time saver for me.) I've heard of the possibility of the mash somehow souring, but I have no idea if that is true/what the chemistry is behind that notion.

4. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (820) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

The chemistry would be bacteria, such as Lactobacillus, getting a foothold in the wort and converting sugars into lactic acid.

5. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (470) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

This has come up a few times with mixed results. Some people save time and others make an uber attenuative beer that bottoms out like wine.

I don't remember, but a mash out might help lock in your beer profile.

6. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

kjyost calls it again. Sparge and bring that wort to a boil to denature enzymes and kill the Lacto. Of course, once you have boiling wort, it's tempting to just take it to the finish line.

I think that killing the lacto might be a good idea.Those bugs will begin to metabolize some as the wort cools. The time period at which they will affect flavor in the wort, I do not know, but I know the grain in my mash tun can reek if I brew at night and wait until morning to clean up.

7. Not exactly what I wanted to hear but thanks for the info. I'm glad I listened to everyone and not settle for what I wanted to hear. (didn't want to get yelled at) Looks like it's full brew days for me. I might have to experiment with overnight mash then to save some time.