1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Spoetzl Brewery (Shiner) keeps racking up the medals

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by JackHorzempa, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Black Equals Gold at European Beer Star Awards

PRWeb – Sat, Nov 17, 2012EmailShare0Share0PrintShiner Bohemian Black Lager Wins Top Honors in Germany

NUREMBERG, GERMANY and SHINER, TEXAS (PRWEB) November 15, 2012

Continuing its impressive winning streak in world beer competitions, Shiner Bohemian Black Lager has earned the Spoetzl Brewery a gold medal from the European Beer Star Awards (EBSA), one of the world’s most prominent tasting competitions.

Shiner Bohemian Black Lager won in the German Style Schwarzbier category. Because the EBSA limits categories to beer styles of European origin, breweries from that continent have long dominated the awards.

Not only is the European Beer Star Awards one of the world’s most prestigious competitions, it’s also one of the fastest growing. Entries were up by 23% over 2011, which had seen a record number of competitors. More than 100 judges considered 1,366 beers, submitted from 44 countries across six continents.

This is not Shiner’s first time to the podium in Nuremburg. Last year, Shiner Oktoberfest was a Silver medalist and Bohemian Black Lager and Old Time Alt won bronze. In 2010 Oktoberfest won gold and Shiner 101 Czech-style Pilsner brought home silver.

And it’s not just in Europe that Shiner is impressing judges. This latest gold medal comes on the heels of an unprecedented triple-gold medal performance at last month’s Great American Beer Festival, where Black Lager was also a top winner, as were Spoetzl’s flagship Shiner Bock and Shiner Oktoberfest.

Kosmos Spoetzl, the brewery’s first brewmaster, was born in Bavaria, not far from where the EBSA medal was presented this week. It’s where he first learned the beermaking craft that he eventually brought with him to the small Texas town of Shiner.

We are very proud to see the beers Kosmos inspired competing and winning against the very best from his home country and around the world,” said current Spoetzl brewmaster Jimmy Mauric.

About the European Beer Star Awards

The European Beer Star Awards is organized by the Association of Private Breweries in Germany, the Association of Private Breweries in Bavaria and the Association of Small and Independent Breweries in Europe.

About Spoetzl Brewery

Founded in Shiner, Texas (population 2,071), the Spoetzl Brewery is one of America’s oldest independent breweries. While Spoetzl has grown to be the country’s fourth largest craft brewery, every drop of Shiner’s award-winning beer is still handcrafted and bottled by only 88 employees, very near the spot where it all started in 1909.

Learn more at http://www.shiner.com or contact: Eric Webber at eric(at)mc-j.com or 512 225 2600.

Eric Webber
    McGarrah Jessee
    (512) 542-2610
    Email Information

http://news.yahoo.com/black-equals-gold-european-beer-star-awards-134636061.html

icetrauma and jbeezification like this.
  2. lionking

lionking Savant (320) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2006

Im a big fan of the Black Lager.

Ford likes this.
  3. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Shiner makes really good beer, despite the "not much love here on BA" thang.

4. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

European beer star awards = shit

Lol.

Scalzo likes this.
  5. I thought their Alt and Black Lager were worthy efforts- not top echelon, but good enough to be a really pleasant surprise.

6. Compton25

Compton25 Savant (335) Texas Jan 25, 2011

Shiner was my gateway into craft beer. I may not always be able to find a top tier beer, but I can always find a decent Shiner in any gas station.

7. It's a fine gateway beer. Nothing to sing about, nothing to hate.

8. Shiner variety packs have been consumed in the masses here.
    They all session great, and they have top-notch QC.
    They don't get any love, I just find it odd. I could down anything they make, because they make it to be quaffable.

9. Exactly how I feel. Guys like them and Breckenridge and Rogue were what eased me into the mix, now I have to see some impressive feedback on one of their brews to go back to their products.

10. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Heck, it seems like the quality of the beer is inversely proportional to the number of medals it has been awarded. For example...

[​IMG]

11. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Ruby redbird...

12. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Amen. Loved that beer after getting out of the Comal and sitting down for BBQ at Cooper's. Good times.

Ford and FUNKPhD like this.
  13. Danielbt

LOL. Like, good call brah. LOL.

acelin likes this.
  14. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Oh my dear god... I can honestly say this was my least favorite beer I've ever had.... I couldn't even stomach a few gulps....

I'm all for "for each his own"... but I personally would rather blend up some vomit mixed with smoked malt and consider that a better option....

15. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

don't get how this one was ever enjoyed by a human pallet... unless you already had a mouthfull of amazing bbq'd pork or something... and anything wet was needed to wash it down.

16. So, let me tell a Shiner Story.

I recently visited family & friends in Texas. Upon exiting the airport on the way to my sister I stopped at a Specs Liquor Store (great selection of craft beer). I picked up a six-pack of Deschutes Fresh Hopped Ale, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, A big bottle of a Jester King Rye IPA/Saison, and a Shiner Variety Pack. Upon seeing me put the Variety Pack in the cart my wife exclaims: “You really aren’t going to buy that, are you?” I replied: “Yes, I am”. My sister is a big fan of Shiner Kosmos Reserve and unfortunately it only comes in the Variety Pack. I am a fan of the Black Bohemia and the Alt so I figured this purchase was a win-win. Unfortunately this year’s pack had Prickly Pear vs. Alt.:(

So the Variety Pack includes:

· Shiner Bock: an American Adjunct Amber Lager which tastes very similar to Yuengling Lager to me.
    · Shiner Blonde: a lightly hopped Pilsner. A well-made beer (i.e., no off flavors) but too light tasting for my palate.
    · Shiner Black Bohemian Lager: Yum!
    · Shiner Hefeweizen: not a favorite hefeweizen of mine.
    · Shiner Kosmos Reserve: My sister ‘says’: two thumbs up!
    · Shiner Prickly Pear: an ‘interesting’ beer

So, the ‘story’ behind Kosmos Reserve is: “Kosmos Spoetzl knew how to brew great beer. Born in Bavaria, Kosmos’ mastery of German brewing carried him as far as Egypt before he found his way to the small Texas town of Shiner. Our proud brewery still carries his name and commitment to excellence in brewing. This full-flavored, hop-jacked lager is every bit as unique as the man himself and our way of saluting the brewmaster who started it all.” Well, I would call Kosmos Reserve an OK American Pale Lager but for some people (like my sister) this is a ‘fits just right’ beer. During the tour at Spoetzl Brewery my sister told the tour guide: “You should sell Kosmos Reserve by itself in six-packs” The tour guide intimated that they don’t brew enough Kosmos Reserve to distribute it other than in the variety pack. I was waiting for my sister to say: Well, brew more of it! But she didn’t. I was a bit disappointed. You have to ‘fight’ for the beers you like, right!?!

The Shine Prickly Pear is what I would call an ‘acquired taste’. The Shiner tour guide described this beer as tasting like an apple Jolly Rancher; that is an apt description. I was shocked that my wife and my niece’s husband (he is an accomplished homebrewer) both liked Prickly Pear. I suppose to each their own!?!

Cheers!

kingofhop likes this.
  17. kpacedo

kpacedo Savant (265) California Nov 24, 2009

I put as much stock in the award shiner as I do the triple hops brewed process miller light advertises.

Ymmv

18. Danielbt

My mileage, and that of the judges at WBC, GABF, EBSA, etc, apparently does vary.

Maybe it's a conspiracy! :eek:

Ford and JackHorzempa like this.
  19. The Shiner Black is an excellent beer. I liked the Smokehouse. Shiner Bock not so much.

Edit - If they won a medal in Europe, they were probably against some other black lagers, and the judges pick the best on the table in that flight's category.

20. I also liked the Smokehaus. Smoke beers are not for everybody. Neither is any other style, really.

21. I just remember that Shiner was one of the last indies standing when Michael Jackson wrote his first beers of the world book in 1978. I like their beers enough for the price they charge but totally repect their history and the fact that they are survivors.

Ford likes this.
  22. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (385) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

I have more respect for the brewery than their products

23. Ford

Ford Savant (490) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Pretty sure Miller is paying for their medals....ha.

24. Ford

Shiner makes good stuff..... I never drink a Shiner Bock and think.. I wish I hadn't had that...

I really like their Oktoberfest, Cheer and Wild Hare... Shiner 101 was also a great beer...

icetrauma likes this.
  25. I thought the 2012 Shiner Oktoberfest was very good. My family and I drank several pitchers of this beer at the Wurstfest in New Braunfels. It had a nice bready malt character and was not cloying sweet (in past years I found Shiner Oktoberfest too sweet for my palate). A BA reviewer mentioned: “I usually steer away from Oktoberfests due to being overly sweet, but Spoetzel has put enough bitter hopping in this beer to make it tasty.” Maybe Shiner upped the hopping a bit for 2012?

Shiner Oktoberfest won the Gold Medal at this year’s GABF.

Cheers!

Ford likes this.
  26. I'm pretty sure the Craft breweries that take the time and effort to enter in the GABF would find that statement offensive. If you say medals can be bought, that implies all of the medals can be bought. So a Russian River, Founders, or Firestone Walker have bought their medals?

27. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I will always have a soft spot for shiner beers.

28. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

It says that it won gold in the German schwarzbier category but according to the list it won in the Bohemian schwarzbier category, same category in which it won a bronze in 2011 (Samuel Adams Black Lager won the gold in the German schwarzbier category this year). Minor slip-up, but the mix-up is a bit funny when Bohemian is in the name of the beer.

http://www.european-beer-star.com/ebs12_en/downloads/presse/winners2012.pdf

29. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I love Shiner for one reason... everywhere that's BMC-only in Texas will 95% of the time have Shiner as an option, even if they don't do craft. Any podunk gas station in the middle of the Texas hill country or the valley (where a lot of my relatives live) will always have Shiner as well.

BTW: you guys were talking about Smokehaus. I consider Smokehaus to be my favorite Shiner release of all time. I bought so much of that beer when it was out, it would make your head spin. I actually brought a 12-pack, in my luggage, to my family during a 4th of July party in Massachusetts the year it was out (2010?) and it was a huge hit at the BBQ.

People don't talk about it much, but their Wild Hare Pale Ale is actually quite decent. Been drinkin' that lately at a lot of festivals that have BMC/Shiner. Not something I'd normally like, but it's nice to have a good pale ale available in places that wouldn't know Sierra Nevada from a hole in their head.

Shiner Cheer is an excellent Christmas ale. Love to cook with it, especially. It's a dunkelweiss with peaches and pecans and is low ABV and very sessionable (unlike a lot of christmas releases). My routine this winter has been on Saturday... going to the farmer's market and picking up fresh Wild Boar bangers from Dai Due Butcher Shop, bringing them home, opening a Shiner Cheer, letting it simmer in it for about 10 minutes and then finishing them for a couple minutes on the grill. Nothing... better.

Shiner Bock is also an excellent base (instead of water) when cooking corned beef in a dutch oven.

30. I am only familiar with the Schwartzbier style (German style I guess?).

What distinguishes a German-Style Schwartzbier from a Bohemian-Style Schwartzbier?

Cheers!

P.S. In a conversation with the guy who handles beer orders for the Total Wine & More in Claymont, DE he stated that Sam Adams is planning on discontinuing the production of their Black Lager; a sad thing if this is true.:(

31. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (530) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Shiner Cheer is quite solid.

Other than their Bock and Hefeweizen, I don't think I've had a beer of theirs that I truly despised.

32. Crusader

These are the descriptions of the two styles from the website.
    10) German

Style Schwarzbier
    Colour: dark brown up to almost black
    Malt: roast malt without the characteristic bitterness
    Malt flavour and aroma: clean to slightly sweet
    Hop bitterness: low up to medium
    Hop flavour and aroma: low but noticeable
    No fruity esters or Diacetyl
    CATEGORY DESCRIPTION PAGE 4
    Analytics:
    Original gravity: 11.0 – 13.0 °Plato
    Apparent extract: 3.0 – 4.0 °Plato
    Alcohol: 3.0 – 4.4 % by weight, 3.8 – 5.5 % by volume
    Bitterness: 22 – 30 IBU
    Colour: > 60 EBC

11) Bohemian

Style Schwarzbier
    Colour: almost black up to deep black
    Malt: roast malt with the characteristic bitterness
    Malt flavour and aroma: clean, slightly sweet
    Hop bitterness: low to medium
    Hop flavour and aroma: slightly noticeable
    No fruity esters or Diacetyl
    Analytics:
    Original gravity: 10.0

12.9 °Plato
    Apparent extract: 2.0 – 5.0 °Plato
    Alcohol: 2.8

4.4 % by weight, 3.5
    5.5 % by volume
    Bitterness: 18

30 IBU
    Colour: > 60 EBC

That's too bad if the Black Lager information is true, it's a really nice beer. Though I can understand that Samuel Adams have problems with maintaining sufficient sales for all of their brands since they have so many, some of them will inevitably become overlooked and fall in sales. Especially when it's such a non-spectacular beer style as a Schwarzbier, even if the product is excellent.

33. No. Dead wrong.

Specific examples of an item's characteristics when said item belongs to a larger category of items, does not impute said characteristics to every example that falls into the larger category.

If I say Bud Light sucks, it doesn't imply that Pliny the Younger sucks, much less every other liquid that qualifies as 'beer'.

34. Thank you for your reply. If I was thinking more thoroughly I would have gone to the beer contest website and researched the styles myself.

So my read of the style guidelines is that the only ‘real’ difference between a German style Schwartzbier and a Bohemian style Schwartzbier is bittering levels (22-30 IBUs vs. 18 IBUs). Is that your understanding as well? It seems strange that they only listed a singular value (i.e., 18 IBUs) for the Bohemian style Schwartbier vs. a range.

As an aside, Sam Adams Black Lager won the Gold medal for the German style Schwartzbier.

Cheers!

35. Crusader

Well the quote got messed up a bit due to formating, the Bohemian stats range withing 18-30IBUs. There are some slight differences across the different indicators but not very large ones which makes sense, I'd imagine that there are both German and Bohemian Schwarzbieren that would end up being categorized as an opposite style.

36. “Bohemian stats range within 18-30IBUs.” Given that information I find it very strange that there are two categories of German style Schwartzbier and Bohemian style Schwartzbier; those two style description pretty much read identical to me.:confused:

Cheers!

Crusader likes this.
  37. HKUSPC40

HKUSPC40 Savant (300) Washington Aug 28, 2012

Some guy once told me the best beer in the world comes from Texas...

I told him that I heard only two things come from Texas...

He gave me a very puzzled look...

jbaker67 likes this.
  38. Crusader

Indeed, I'd wager it is mostly German/Czech national pride which generates two categories rather than one. The differences could easily be incorporated into one category.

39. Ford

I was kidding, but if needed.. I imagine Miller could afford the money needed to buy medals... most craft breweries.. would not.

Also, is the World Beer Cup Championship different from GABC? Is one more well thought of or prestigious?