1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Spokane area

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by zestd, Feb 28, 2013.

1. zestd

zestd Savant (320) Idaho Jan 18, 2013

I've been up a couple times (from a few hours south) this last week and have a few thoughts.

1. Lagunitas Sucks is worth the hype

2. No-Li's three brews I tried were liquid butt paste

3. Trader Joe's is really small and unimpressive

4. Going back to #1, Enoteca only has a couple more sixers of Sucks as of this afternoon
  2. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Not sure what you're trying to say about my hometown here.

1. ok - that's a CA brewery. Beer is good, yes. It will be ubiquitous in no time, don't bother chasing it too much.

2. ok - they have some good ones. They have some meh ones. None of them are undrinkable imho. They're also not the only game in town.

3. ok - that's a chain from California and most grocery stores in town beat them for beer selection, not to mention the bottle shops. Nothing they do says anything about Spokane.

4. Thanks for giving some local BA's a heads up.

In conclusion - you didn't seem to plan your trips very well. Next time check out the "places" section of the website or read some of the posts from this forum or make a new post asking about places. We're friendly enough folk that are happy to shoot the shit about local beer spots. The Spokane area certainly has a ton more to offer than what you mentioned. Cheers!
    woemad, beertunes and whiskey like this.
  3. zestd

LOL, I guess I should have given a background. Let's just say I have been, and am around often.

#1 was included essentially to get to #4...i.e. the heads up about the low supply of Sucks at Enoteca. Obviously Lagunitas is not a Spokanistan brew.

The South Hill Trader Joe's is relatively new and it was my first opportunity (well first time remembering) to head that way. Small and underwhelming for sure.

I went to the No-Li brewhouse. I had the Crystal Bitter, the Pale and the IPA...all sub-par. Not necessarily drain-pours, but I would never buy another of each again.
  4. leedorham

You aren't the guy that made Sixam2 go to No-Li instead of the tap house are you?
    zestd and whiskey like this.
  5. zestd

Haha no.
  6. whiskey

whiskey Savant (330) California Feb 25, 2012

Haha, I didn't even think about that.
  7. 1. Ok?? I fail to see the relevance of this one.
    2. As others said this is not the only brewery here. I would argue that it definitely isn't the best brewery here.
    3. If you went to Trader Joe's looking for good beer selection, I can see why. Also we are not big enough to justify a larger one. Next time check out Total wine or if your on the south Hill the Rocket Market or Huckleberries
    4. I believe the rocket market and total wine still have some ( could be wrong on this one).
    woemad likes this.
  8. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I like the architecture. And there's something about a river town.
    woemad likes this.
  9. leedorham

I agree. It ties the city together, all the while dividing it.
    woemad and beertunes like this.
  10. Any town that can call itself home to the film Vision Quest is A-OK in my book.
  11. leedorham

Matthew Modine actually came here a few months back for a charity event. His people reserved a local restaurant my friend is a server at and she got to be his server for the night. She said he was about the nicest guy ever. No nose bleeds thankfully.
    beertunes, zestd and BuckeyeOne like this.
  12. Oh, shit. That made me laugh AND spill my coffee.
  13. Sixam2

Sixam2 Aficionado (110) Washington Feb 19, 2013

The good news is, I didn't end up at No-Li, nor did I make it to Spokane at all.. Better news is I no longer have to entertain my customer, and have 2 free nights this coming week in Spokane, so will make it to Pints, Manito, and where ever else you craft beer connoisseurs recommend...
    woemad, devlishdamsel and beertunes like this.
  14. Sixam2

Sixam2 Aficionado (110) Washington Feb 19, 2013

Palouse Thunder... I grew up in the Palouse.. And College at WSU..
    Loved it ! I haven't been to Pullman in years.. Where's a good brewery ? Certainly, it's not The Coug.. Lol
  15. zestd

Closest thing would be Paradise Creek. The usual type lineup with a few forays into quads and sours.
  16. woemad

woemad Champion (770) Washington Jun 8, 2003

I'd add Jones Radiator to the list.