1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Sprechers' Hard Root Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by JDWalker, Jan 29, 2013.

1. JDWalker

JDWalker Disciple (50) Texas Jan 27, 2013

Is there anyone who would be willing to send me some this deliciousness once it becomes available next month? Will send you a package of whatever local Texas stuff your into.
  2. Jspriest

Jspriest Savant (455) Pennsylvania Feb 9, 2011 Verified

That sounds amazing.
    JDWalker likes this.
  3. JDWalker

It's as good as it sounds!
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  4. egrace84

egrace84 Poobah (1,050) Illinois Mar 25, 2012 Verified

picked some up over the weekend in Madison. I had my first one tonight and thought it was pretty tasty also.
    4DAloveofSTOUT likes this.
  5. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Really hoping we get this in Ohio soon. Just read that they're making it part of their permanent line!
    JDWalker likes this.
  6. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Champion (810) Illinois Nov 28, 2008 Verified

I love it when a plan pays off! Can wait to pop a bottle for myself! Better yet when we do a side by side of regular sprecher root beer with Sprecher bourbon barrel hard rootbeer! It will be epic! HAHAHAHAHA!
  7. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

It good.
  8. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (455) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

To me, tasted like an oak-aged root beer with almost no beer character. It was good, just not beerish in any way.
  9. egrace84

egrace84 Poobah (1,050) Illinois Mar 25, 2012 Verified

lol is it sad to actually be looking forward to this :eek:
    Duff27 likes this.
  10. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Champion (810) Illinois Nov 28, 2008 Verified

Thats because its ROOOTBEER!:) Its not beer at all!
    chardlogic and basickness like this.
  11. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (395) Illinois Oct 22, 2010 Verified

Is this coming to Bienny's?
    SubpoenaDeuces likes this.
  12. JDWalker

Kinda like when I was like 6 and we pretended Root Beer was real beer lol, Now I might finally get too!

They said that there will be only a limited amount of locations that sell it "At the request of our distributor" but hopefully they will expand it.
    brother_kenneth likes this.
  13. Siggy125

Siggy125 Advocate (600) California Nov 10, 2006 Verified

Sorry if this offends anyone. But I tried this tonight and it was a total drainpour for me.. It tasted like A&W and a trip to the pharmacy. Really medicinal.
    xgeneralzodx and ET678 like this.
  14. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (455) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

1. It's made by a company that's pretty well known for making Root Beer.
    2. It kinda tastes like root beer.
    3. It's 5% ABV IIRC.

You might not like it, but that's enough for most people to drink it. I have no real love for Sprecher despite them being five minutes from my house, but I think this one is a winner (even though I don't care for it either, much like other alcopops/matlernatives).
  15. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (360) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

They do at least one other thing right:

It's number 2 now, but their Black Bavarian was number 1 for the longest time, and it's great.
  16. duceswild

duceswild Champion (790) Maryland Feb 8, 2010 Verified

I had this recently with a few friends and really enjoyed it.

Would be interested in more if anyone has some for offer.
  17. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (455) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

They certainly do a number of beer styles well. I do think the Black Bavarian is their best beer. They do pretty well with most classic German and/or European styles. But IMO they are not very good at making newer American styles, especially hoppy beers. Citra Bomb is probably their best attempt to date, but it was still Meh for me. Given that they were founded in 1985, I think they got good at making was was out there back then, but I'd say they've had trouble evolving with the rest of US brewers from that era.
  18. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (330) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012 Verified

Correct but that's basically the one beer I'd actually recommend to someone. The hard root beer is ok but I'd rather have a shot of whiskey and then enjoy one of their actual root beers (really good)! It has been crazy popular though, basically selling out whenever they release a batch.
  19. basickness

basickness Savant (375) Pennsylvania Apr 20, 2013 Verified

i got this all day in pittsburgh
  20. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

After the OP is taken care of I'd love to get in on this too.
  21. basickness

basickness Savant (375) Pennsylvania Apr 20, 2013 Verified

Dom. Bm me
  22. greg4579

greg4579 Advocate (645) Pennsylvania Jan 9, 2010 Verified

Makes for a great rootbeer float. It seems to be around a lot of places in Pittsburgh, and priced best at Giant Eagle.
  23. atone315

atone315 Champion (880) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008 Verified

What are you guys paying for this out there?
  24. greg4579

greg4579 Advocate (645) Pennsylvania Jan 9, 2010 Verified

I paid 9.99 for a 4 pack at one place and I think 7 at Giant Eagle yesterday.
  25. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Any Ohio sightings yet?
  26. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Savant (295) Minnesota Dec 7, 2012 Verified

5.50 in MN
  27. watsonmd

watsonmd Savant (365) Georgia May 16, 2009

Is there a reason why this isn't listed in the "beer" list for review, other than it isn't a beer? (Seems obvious once I write it down...) Not sure if BA keeps that tight a restriction on the listings... I suppose Zima and Mike's would get listed as well if we started letting in any alcoholic/carbonated beverage?

I was hoping to get more BA reviews of it before buying it. Found it locally, and also found this "DRAFT" review .
  28. TheBronze

TheBronze Savant (410) Washington Apr 16, 2009 Verified

It is in Cincinnati at Jungle Jim's right now $6/4pk. Not sure if it made it to any other retailers around here.
  29. abitaman

abitaman Disciple (65) Alabama Nov 4, 2008

Currently available "on sale" at Hop City in Birmingham AL for $4.99 for a 4-pack. Yes, it is definitely sweet, but it's pretty darned tasty too!
  30. HalfNelson

HalfNelson Zealot (80) Illinois May 21, 2013

If anyone is still interested. I was just at my local beer spot and they had a decent amount left and I would love to trade for some locals.
  31. Circleo12

Circleo12 Advocate (640) South Carolina Nov 12, 2012 Verified

My wife loves it. It is VERY sweet, however, to the point that I can't handle it. I saw it in Florida at the TW down there, and it is in Athens, GA, so it got distributed out pretty fast. I was originally thinking it wouldn't get out of WI, but that proved to not be the case.