1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

St. Archer

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by sandiego67, Apr 14, 2013.

1. I saw the Stone reps distributing bottles of St. Archer on Friday at the Board and Brew in Carlsbad. I was with my kids so I didn't feel like trying it.

Has anyone tried it yet?
  2. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

One sip and you're in the. . . danger zone!
    davemont, mrkrispy, Commanche and 2 others like this.
  3. Srsly

Srsly Aficionado (215) California Mar 21, 2010

clicking through their website just leaves me confused. i can't tell if they're trying to start a skate shop, a menswear blog, or a brewery. they mention having "world-class brewers" on their team, but under the 'our crew' section they only list skaters, surfers, and an outdoorsman (or whatever). their bottles look cool, though.
    stillmatic, pinkgrenade and pmarlowe like this.
  4. It appears that they are the first brewery to replace Spuds MacKenzie and the Swedish Bikini team with a few X-games athletes.

I would bet that their business plan includes selling out to Red Bull or Monster once they get a sizeable following in the 21-29 year-old age demographic.
    LSUPT likes this.
  5. SDDanC

SDDanC Initiate (0) California Mar 1, 2011

Their two brewers are Ray Astamendi (Mission Brewing) and Kim Lutz (Maui Brewing)
  6. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

Local Habit will have the Kolsch and Pale on tap on Tuesday. Ray and Kim are both great brewers; I think they’re going to brew some really nice beers and (hopefully) will be completely disconnected from the marketing angle.
    Sebowski likes this.
  7. SageO

These guys hold a lot of promise. The Pale was a little too sweet for an SD pale ale but still had a ton of juicy hop flavor, and the kolsch was kind of one-dimensional but I could very easily see it as a stepping stone for Stella drinkers. I haven't seen the MSRP prices for 6-packs, but if they can meet or break SN then they're set.
  8. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

Is the tasting room open yet?
  9. Rick760Sd

Rick760Sd Savant (250) California Jun 5, 2012

haven't tried them yet...seen 'em at Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido.
  10. Woodie

Woodie Aficionado (105) California Jan 22, 2011

I had a bottle of their pale ale last night. The hops were typical piney citrus and I thought the hop profile could have been more pronounced, but then again I had it from the bottle and who knows what the bottle has been through. I thought the malt profile was totally in line for a pale ale and it finished crisp and on the drier side for me (which I like). It was also filtered,
    I remember that. All in all, I would buy it again!

I do agree that their website is confusing as hell. It seems the focus is on surfing and the action sports community, with a side note of "oh yeah, we also brew beer if you want to try some." I don't know, like someone else said here on the board, I think their goal is to become the new "red bull" beer of the 21+ action sports community.
  11. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

I had the Pale Ale on draft at Eclipse for the Aporkalypse dinner, was proper west coast style.
  12. I found their Pale to be decent. I think there's some good potential here, even if their marketing may not be exactly what I, or most BAs, are looking for. If they can brew some great beer, then I will just pretend the marketing gimmicks don't exist.
  13. I had the Kolsch (Blonde) yesterday. Seemed a little heavy for the style. Imperial Kolsch?
  14. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

Re: the confusion about beer vs brand. SA was started by an "extreme" sports marketing/talent agent. He got a lot of prominent athletes to invest. It seems to be a lifestyle marketing play. I live in SD; I surf, skate and snowboard, but this feels much more like a business model than a passion for brewing. The fact that the whole brand was created before they hired the brewers sent up a red flag for me. If the beer is good, and they start canning it, I think they could do okay.

This interview offers some insight:

http://www.westcoastersd.com/2012/09/14/meet-saint-archer-brewery/
    Srsly likes this.
  15. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

Extreme beers bro. How good is it? Its EXTREME! Makes my nipples hard just thinking how good it'll be.
  16. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

Waiting for the X Games / Mountain Dew collaboration beer
    DtheVillain likes this.
  17. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

Why wait? Brew your own!
  18. A Kolsch using an authentic yeast strain. A Pale and IPA using tasty sounding hop bills. From what it appears on their website it looks like they will be bottling in 12oz bottles. They'll be in a 4 or 6 pack, right???

Why are we not supposed to be excited about this brewery again?
  19. heresy22

heresy22 Savant (390) California Apr 9, 2007

Something about extreme sports, because that is inconsistent with the BA community. Or something.
    I have neither seen nor tried their beer, so I can't offer any insight.
  20. 395er

It's out in bombers, and six pack bottles. Be excited. Give it a try.
  21. ryno09

ryno09 Savant (285) California May 1, 2010

Drank a bomber of their Kolsch last night. A very respectable version of the style.
  22. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

bombers are so 2012.5. They obviously aren't that Xtreme.
  23. sbuysse

sbuysse Aficionado (160) Arizona Sep 30, 2005

Or for the Taco Bell Cool Ranch Taco limited run ?
  24. The more I think about it, the better I think brewers like this are for the scene.

Brewing a core lineup of beers that doesn't change and putting them in six packs might seem a little boring, but it's the bread & butter of all of my favorite brewers, Sierra, Deschutes, Lagunitas, Stone, Caldera etc...

They might only get 3 single bottle sales from the ticker crowd, but if their beer is any good, they will get repeat sales all year from beer drinkers like myself, even with only the 3 core beers in their lineup.
  25. 395er

I'm sure they'll do more beers. The brewers are going to want to demonstrate their talent and experiment.
    sbuysse likes this.
  26. 395er

Had the Blonde today. A clean, easy drinking beer. But not very dynamic. We'll see if it's enough to pull their target demo off the more value priced beers they're drinking now.
  27. $9.99 for six packs at BevMo. May be tough to get any market share at that price.
  28. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (270) California Jan 11, 2010

St. Archer hired Yiga away from Pizza Port! HFSWTF
  29. jshufelt

jshufelt Zealot (80) California Jan 23, 2008

I heard it was Nacho from PP OB
  30. SageO

31. "includes a production brewery, canning line, storage and administrative space for the company’s production brewing arm, Port Brewing,"

Nope. They are separate breweries. Port Brewing will not be in there.
  32. riko

riko Savant (280) California Jan 18, 2008

Anyone here been to the St. Archer's tasting room? If so, what's it like? Do they have anything besides their three core beers on tap? I don't see any reviews on BA.
  33. MiScusi

MiScusi Advocate (600) California Feb 12, 2005

Based on the listings on Untappd, looks like it's just those 3.
  34. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

damnit! there goes any hope of getting his awesome creations in cans through the new PP... might have to go drown my sorrows at PPOB by drinking some of the amazing stuff Nacho is putting out... before he disappears
  35. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (760) California Nov 29, 2006

Has it been amazing? I stopped going there because I felt the opposite.
  36. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (270) California Jan 11, 2010

Yes it has. Last batch of Burning of Rome was fantastic. New batch on the way. Surf Check Alley is on now.
    nanobrew and ehammond1 like this.
  37. nanobrew

After Yiga left there was a long delay before any IPA/hoppy beers made it out. Then about 4-5 came out really close together. There was only one I didn't care for too much, plus something seemed different with Cho-Saiko. Surf Check, Burning of Rome (though a Yiga creation), Norsewoman have all been great
  38. Chronic is still Chronic, no matter who's brewing it.
  39. nanobrew

I am not worried about that beer changing (plus, I am not a big fan anyways), I am talking about the IPAs. I was sad when Yiga left PPOB, but Nacho has done a great job.