1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

St Bernardus Abt 12 prone to variation?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hoppsbabo, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Yo dudes. I live in Korea and having just come back from Tokyo with a handful of Abt 12's, I was very disappointed that none of them tasted like they should have. They lacked that classic marzipan/almond character and they were almost completrly dry, and I'm used to them being quite sweet. I think they were dated something like 2015.

Does anyone know if St Bernardus is prone to variation?
    Ta.
  2. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Abt 12 is one of my favorites that I've had many many times. Never had any quality or consistency issues.
  3. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

That would put it at a 2010 bottling date? I had some a couple weeks ago that was bottled in 2009 (purchased from a liquor store in early January, 2013), and there were no issues. Still tasted great, although in my opinion, not as good as fresher bottles, although again, the liquor store probably wasn't the ideal storing facility. Anyway, the several times I've had it, there wasn't really any variation. Definitely not dry like you're saying. Would that be the cardboardy oxidation flavor?
  4. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

I second this wise gent.
  5. Me too, it's probably my number one beer. I only got aquainted with it last summer so I was gutted when I got my bottles back all in one piece only to find they'd paled considerably. I'm at a loss to describe it. I know the bottle shop (Tanakaya) is well renowned. I don't understand why the beer was so dry. Could my bottles have been shaken about too much in transit?
  6. Cozzatoad

Cozzatoad Savant (295) Italy Feb 2, 2011

Unlucky batch. All bottles from the same batch. It happens
  7. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Japanese knock offs!