St. Patty's Day Tasting - Durham/Chapel Hill, NC

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by VncentLIFE, Feb 3, 2013.

1. You
    You sound like a germophobe

DiscLizard and bryanole27 like this.
  2. Damn, now thought of it that way! In that case, we will have our own porto-let delivered Sunday morning.

3. Hopefully it won't overflow like the ones Huna Day!

bryanole27 likes this.
  4. I'll bring some 6oz taster glasses if that's the preferred medium. I've got a half dozen or so I could bring. I also have a plethora of pints, and tulips if those are preferred (although I figure that the smaller glasses will spread things around better).

I'm bringing CCB Ghost Stories, DFH 120 Minute IPA (2007), and not sure what else --
    I just got a fresh 6 pack of Jai Alai cans for my birthday, as well as a 4-pack of 12 oz CCB Cubano-Style Espresso Brown Ale (which I have yet to try). Also have bottles of 2013 La Folie, 2013 Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree, 2013 Heavy Seas BA Siren Noire, and 2013 Sierra Nevada BA Bigfoot... Was hoping to have Hardywood Bourbon Sidamo and some ready for the tasting, but I won't receive them in time. What say you, gentlemen?

Edit: still have a half case of Hopslam too... if someone wants to bring some Expedition Stouts we can have some Darth Vaders.

5. Still working on exactly what we are bringing but so far it's looking like a 2011 BA Naked Evil to pair with that 2012, a New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red and an OHB Imperial Dominance. More surely to follow....

Also I'll be happy to bring some Exped Stouts.

6. Tim do we have an up to date list? 2010 Huna and Hopped Up Johnnie so far for me, maybe a MZ then to match the Hopped up Johnnie? Sucaba?

7. My stuff isn't up to date. Not sure about Adam's, think we're waiting to see what he ends up with from VT (today I think?).

8. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

You win the rar contest :D
    At this point, people should just bring whatever ha

9. Bluecane

From Vermont, I'm bringing the 2L Abner and probably a Lawson's Triple Play or some other hoppy beer.

10. Ive got a mini surprise I found at Sams today for us :)

11. My apartment is 408 fyi

12. That mini surprise was pretty amazing. Thanks Tim and Adam! It was an epic tasting to be sure.

danoeltico likes this.
  13. I think it's safe to say we had enough beers. That Hopped Up Johnnie was incredible, certainly my favorite stout/barleywine/old ale and maybe my favorite of the night. Thanks to everyone for the ridiculous beers and a great time.

danoeltico, Bluecane and bryanole27 like this.
  14. Ridiculous. Thanks to all of you!

VncentLIFE, DiscLizard and Bluecane like this.
  15. Wow what a great time, with great friends new and old, and outstanding brews. Thanks Tim for host(ess)ing. Hope everyone made it back safe and sound. Again, happy belated Birthday to the boyz. Can't wait to see what Version #3 brings forth. Cheers, Gary

Bluecane likes this.
  16. Bluecane

And thanks to you, and also Adam, for the generous birthday beers!!!!

17. Glad you guys enjoyed it

18. I need highlights. Stat. Top 3? Top 5?

19. My top 5 were:
    1) CCB Hopped Up Johnnie
    2) 2011 Hunahpu
    3) CCB Camp Braggot
    4) 2011 BA Naked Evil
    5) 2012 BA Naked Evil

20. Bluecane

Hopped up Johnnie
    Everything else (Belgian Red, BANE, KH, Supplication, '12 Huna).

21. Thanks to our gracious hosts, and everyone who brought goodies to share. This was a lot of fun, and I was thrilled to be able to join you all. I don't think I've seen so many whales in one place before.

My top 5:
    1) Hopped Up Johnnie
    2) 2011 Hunahphu
    3) 2011 BA Naked Evil
    4) GI King Henry
    5) (One of the "OH: Tale of Two Barrels offerings, but I didn't snap a picture and can't remember which one I preferred)

(Honorable mention to New Glarus Belgian Style Red, It was not something I would have gone out of my way to try, but was REALLY glad I got the chance, and did try it! Also was a thrill to have 4 Russian River Sours all at once, hadn't tasted ANY of them before)

All in all, there were a lot of firsts for me yesterday, I was/am very humbled to have been included.

Tim -- Thanks so much for the birthday Heady Topper. I'm about to crack it open as I type this.

22. As my Erie, PA buddy said, Whales are going extinct. My recycling box would make quite a few BAs jealous!

And a Heady is nothing amongst friends. Enjoy, sir!

ps that small growler is still empty:)
    I still didnt open my BA Blackout, but I might save that for my birthday next year.

23. Mine were roughly:
    Hopped Up Johnnie

and then in some order:
    Fantasia
    BA Naked Evils
    Darkness
    '12 Huna (or maybe cuvee de Huna, a small blend of '10, '11', and '12)

Beatification also stands out for the enamel-peeling acidity. Windowpane Blackberry was surprisingly good given how I disliked Peaches and Figs. Southampton Cuvee Des Fleurs was refreshingly unique given the big/bold flavors of everything else. Saison Revolution was disappointing in that it was tasty but not in any way reminiscent of a saison. Everything there was damn good.

VncentLIFE and Bluecane like this.
  24. Hopped up Johhnie for me was #1 but I am a little partial
    Huna vert
    King Henry
    BA naked Evil Batch 1
    BB4D

25. I think Hopped up Johnnie was a consensus #1. If I had opened that Rockmill Cask Aged Tripel (I opened it today and holy shit balls), that would have been up there. The mouthfeel is what I picture CCB would make, only better. So creamy and sweet.

yea I didnt like it much at all next to Cuvee de Fleurs.

26. Glad you guys had a great time. Happy birthday Adam and Tim.

27. Laura and I had a great time as well. Glad we got to share a few new things with everyone and really enjoyed tasting everything else. Thanks for sharing so many great beers. Johnnie, Henry and Huna we certainly the tops but there isn't much I wouldn't want again.

Looking forward to doing this again sometime and I'm sure we'll see most of you at BASC.

28. btw my apartment is finally almost back to normal since Sunday. Lots of recycling, and lots of trash. 5 trips to the recycling and 1 trash bag later, the trash is done.

danoeltico likes this.