Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine and get 12 issues / year of fresh beer content delivered to your door each month.

Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stand out dark beers this winter

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by mulder1010, Jul 31, 2013.

1. mulder1010

mulder1010 Advocate (615) Australia Aug 29, 2008

One month left in winter here. What has been your stand out beers this winter???

Domestic---- 2013 Wild Thing was back to snuff. Really hoppy and aggressive. Have a bright Stubborn Russian I am excited to to try as liked the 2012 vintage. Need to try more Riverside Porter. Wig and Pen The Judges are still on Botox was delicious.

Import--- Founders Breakfast Stout and Porter. They are on the shelves??? Pinch me.

Out of left field--- FFF Bourbon Dark Lord and Bruery BA Coton. Utter standouts

2. my my - all a little quiet on here.... so my 2c ...

Internationally, standout would be Alesmith Speedway Stout - methinks a 2011 I had. Plus the Bourbon Barrel Dark Lord(!). However, they were really the only standout I had. A Stone IRS from 2011 was dull dull dull, and a Mikkeller Weasel was real bad, had not lasted at all. A cheap surprise tho, was a humble Youngs Double Choc stout which hit the mark very nicely.

Locally I tried a whole heap of dark beers from Red Duck and was almost, without exception, dissapointed. Will read the reviews on new Red Ducks more closely before I buy again. 2012 Wild Thing - had around 4 ordinary, and one superb. SITA also good, and probably the pick of the locals. Underwhelmed by Aurora Borealis - not quite black but nearly.

3. gulden

gulden Aficionado (195) Australia Mar 20, 2011

I really enjoyed the Founders Breakfast Stout - paired with coffee icecream it was incredible!

4. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (585) Australia Jun 15, 2010

In terms of commercially available stuff probably Founder's Breakfast Stout, To Ol Sort Maelk (that beer was really fantastic) and Ten Fidy.

Non-commercially available would of course be Bourbon Dark Lord. Stunning beer.

Last night I had a Murray's Bulgin Bicep. Some of the elements of the beer were world-class but others were a let down so unfortunately on the whole it was a little bit average.

Edit: St Ambroise RIS is another one I'm looking forward to drinking again from past experiences, although I haven't tried its most recent release. Founders Porter is another one I want to try if I can track some down.

5. danieelol

Last night tried 8 Wired Big Smoke Porter for the first time. Excellent beer. Very nicely balanced between Porter and Smoke.

6. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (365) Australia Nov 29, 2008

I am over not loving Breakfast Stout. Shit is fantastic. Have put a case away this week. Made ice cream and BBQ sauce with it as well. Odin's Tipple still good. Moylans Our Dark Secret probably the best Black IPA ever. Paired it with duck breast in a green peppercorn sauce and blew my own mind. Hoping there's still 2012 Abyss on tap everywhere in California like there is now by the time I get there in 3 weeks.

MrKennedy likes this.
  7. mulder1010

That is winning. Serious winning

8. lbour

lbour Savant (270) Texas Jul 17, 2011 Verified

Hey, I was in Melbourne for 6 months last year and I darn sure didn't see any BBDL anywhere! In fact, I didn't see any FFF or Bruery. Something must have happened after I left! But, pretty darn sure I'm the only guy in Austin, TX with Holgate's Empress and Mountain Goat's Gypsy and the Goat. And down to our last Murray's Wild Thing and Renaissance Tribute. Sad days ahead when these are gone.

Cheers!
    Lee

spicelab likes this.
  9. spicelab

spicelab Savant (450) Australia Nov 6, 2009

BBDL and all the variants of Papier are still on shelves in Sydney.

Lukie likes this.
  10. foles

foles Savant (430) Australia Jan 28, 2007

Had a nail stout at Bob's bar Perth Wed night. Was very good and somewhat complex for a "session" stout.

11. Lukie

Lukie Savant (435) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Nail Stout is such an incredible beer.

foles likes this.
  12. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (655) Australia Dec 29, 2006 Verified

Of the local stuff the Wig and Pen was really good. Didn't mind the keg version of the Moo Brew either...especially at $8 a glass. Nordic Saddle Buffer was probably my fave here.

Founders Porter and Breakfast Stout have been really good, so too 2012 Bigfoot and Old Stock. Narwhal too.

Also enjoyed Bourbon Dark Lord, Kopi Speedway and 05 Gratitude.

13. spicelab

spicelab Savant (450) Australia Nov 6, 2009

After expecting to hate it, I was quite impressed with Murray's Auld Bulgin' Boysterous Bicep.

I'm generally not a fan of overly busy beers or smoked malt but I was pleasantly surprised how measured and orthodox it seemed, relatively speaking of course.

14. and, erm, a Dreadnought that I found in the cellar was not quite Standout... drinkable, just....

15. danieelol

Has anyone tried AA7 yet?

16. joecast

joecast Advocate (580) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Feel like Im getting on my Tassie soap box but....what the hell

Seven Sheds Stark Raven stout was tasting brilliant on tap this weekend. One of those fantastic all weather dark beers.

MrKennedy likes this.
  17. foles

Cannot agree more. We knock out some classic stouts in Australia (but not enough these days). Somewhat Guinness Foreign Extra - like

18. foles

Bought a carton of LC Mr Obadiah - still whole pallet of them (apparently misplaced earlier) at the brewery for $65 each. Not bad, but a little "ashy". I think the single batches suffer from recipe blase'ness

19. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (655) Australia Dec 29, 2006 Verified

I was tempted tonight, but will probably hold off a few more months

20. mulder1010

Good thing to have a Tazzie hookup :)
    Really like what Seven Sheds has been doing of late. Some really nice beers

MrKennedy likes this.
  21. Lukie

Lukie Savant (435) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Any one here in Adelaide? Would love to get a 10/10!