1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Standard Pour Size at Bars/Restaurants

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mikeburd1128, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Am I wrong in assuming that if the beer menu does not specify the pour size, that I am going to get a 16 oz pour? Obviously if it's a higher ABV or a rarer beer I might figure it'd be 12 oz or something, but I'm talking standard IPA's listed for $6.00-$7.00 on a menu.

Would you feel slighted if you ordered a Victory Hop Devil for (I forget exactly what it was) $6.00-7.00 and then it showed up at your table in a 12 oz glass?

2. Most people would just ask, right?

3. JGates

JGates Zealot (90) California May 18, 2011

Our bar serves hop devil in a 12oz

4. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Generic bars and restaurants tend to go with the short and tall model. The tall is usually 20-22 oz and the short is almost always something less than a pint.

Better beer bars and restaurants will serve in more appropriate glassware based on style and sometimes strength. The pour will always depend on the beer.

What should be standard is if information is not provided and the question is not asked there is no room to get upset. At that point an assumption was made and if one ends up unhappy it is because they made the wrong assumption.

audioserf and herman77 like this.
  5. Ask what? I don't even know what you're responding to. But you can't possibly think that most people ask their server what the size of the pour is before they order their beer. That's absurd.

I'm simply trying to find out:

6. I didn't realize common sense and the ability to ask questions before spending your money on a product is absurd.

7. kzoobrew

Agreeing to purchase a product with out properly informing yourself first seem much more ridiculous to me.

Gosox8787 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  8. I don't know what your deal is and how you're misinterpreting my posts so severely, but I was saying that you suggesting that most people ask how big of a pour it is before ordering, is absurd.

9. Am I speaking another language? I didn't say that asking first is absurd. I said that it's absurd to think that most people ask beforehand about the pour size.

10. kzoobrew

If one is curious asking seems like the logical action. Making an assumption and then feeling slighted seems absurd. Context has played into these responses an awful lot.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  11. Ok you think it is dumb to ask and you won't do it.
    So how about you look around and see what size glass everyone has?

Nope you are right, it is better to make an assumption.

devlishdamsel likes this.
  12. Haha this is great. Did I say it was dumb to ask? (I might've - it was a few hours ago) I'm pretty sure I just said that most people don't - contrary to what UCLA suggested.

Thanks for the .02 though bud. Sorry for "assuming" I could get a decent response out of this forum.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  13. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

16 oz. is norm in my experiences with high ABV things like Belgians or Barleywines being in a smaller glass with higher price. Double IPA's are sometimes this way.

Single IPA's are almost always in the same standard 16 oz. glasses. Yes, I would be a little upset - or just basically label them in my mind as a pricey place that I'd visit less often.

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  14. I don't think it's outrageous to assume anything under 8 or 9% is in a standard shaker pint, especially at a $6-$7 price point. I wouldn't throw a fit about it, but I'm sure I can get a better value in town and it would color my decision on being a repeat visitor.

15. Can you guess which 3.67 replies were actually helpful?

Ah BA, sigh.

16. To answer your question, no, I do not believe there is any standard pour size for a bar. That being a pour size that should ever been assumed, and one that if the bar deviates from, they are somehow slighting you. That said I also agree that it is probably not typical to ask what the pour size will be. That would be UNLESS you are genuinely concerned about that specific information, which you appear to be.

To reiterate,

- There is no standard pour size by which one should make assumptions.
    - It is not standard to ask the pour size unless you are particularly concerned.
    - You seem particularly concerned.

BrownAleMale, Arodnum1 and kojevergas like this.
  17. I'd probably be unpleasantly surprised if a beer under 10% was in anything smaller than a pint without stating it on the menu.

martyl1000 and Uwftke26 like this.
  18. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Hop Devil isn't really a beer you would expect to have a small serving, so yes, I would feel slighted

19. Bingo

Danny1217 and mikeburd1128 like this.
  20. Haha well thanks for the legitimate responses, guys. It's easy to sit there and say that I should've asked beforehand if I was "so concerned" about the pour size, but I didn't exactly realize I should've been concerned when it was $6.50 (reasonable pint price) for Kane's Rye Head High at a booming 6.5% ABV. (Hop Devil was another I saw poured at 12 oz later and used that as an example for clarity's sake.)

fujindemon74 likes this.
  21. At most "beer palaces" expect to get a short expensive pour. That's the way of the beer geek world - try to find restaurants & non geek bars that have a decent selection at reasonable prices.

22. yup 16 oz is standard and some lower ABV Hefe's and Irish stouts even come in 20 or 22oz. If I got a 12 oz pour of a regular IPA for 6.50 I would think that the bar is pretty lame. The higher ABV stuff I expect them to adjust to 12 and 10oz. I just find it kind of dumb when some of my buddies order some high abv beer (this weekend it was double bastard) than act all weird and disappointed when in comes in 10oz snifter.

23. Bier Station in KCMO specifies pour size on the menu next to each beer available on tap, I wish more places did this.

24. Most of the places that I frequent will do this, or at the very least mark which ones come in something other than a pint.

25. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

I sort of assume that, based on the style and ABV, I will get a glass that corresponds. Well, at least at beer bars. For instance, an imperial stout will likely come in the 10oz snifter, so on and so forth. I would expect to get lagers, pale ales, and anything deemed sessionable to be a 16oz-20oz pour. I definitely never ask because I give a bar the benefit of the doubt that they aren't going to screw me over.

And like others have said, most bars I frequent specify if a pour is less than 16oz. Always nice.

26. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (350) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Had Mad Elf served to me the other night in an 8 ounce snifter. Thought it was odd... I've never had it on tap anywhere that didn't serve in a 16 ounce glass. They damn sure charged the same price though.

27. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

On the flip side, I got served Abraxas in a 12oz glass for $8. It was cheaper than buying it in the bottle at a liquor store (it's like $23 a bomber here).

Damn, I wish I lived near that bar.

28. was also pleasantly suprised when buying a 8 dollar glass of abraxas a week ago, expecting to get a 8 or 10 ounce glass but intead recieved a full 16 oz's! i will hopefully be going back there more often

29. Sometimes you order a double IPA and it comes in a 22oz glass and it's like you passed "Go" in Monopoly or something.

Always two sides to a coin.

codasnap52 likes this.
  30. The local brew pub that I frequent charges $4 for a 16 oz pour ($2 during happy hour). They only have there own brews on tap and carry macros in bottles.

31. Most bars seem to use the 14oz pint which is actually called a cheater pint.

32. Last year the whole foods by my house has a bar and they were serving pints of Firestone 15th anniversary for
    $5 this should set the standard for pricing everywhere

BrownAleMale likes this.
  33. I order my call girls the same way , just send me a red head for x amount of dollars and hope its the size I want, you know bigger isnt always better

34. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

? Sure, if you don't want place to stay in business.

35. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

We always specify what size pour our beers are served in and style of glass...but last year I had to politely ask a gentlemen to leave when he asked me if he could have his next Matilda in a "Less faggy" glass. "Sir, I won't serve you a Matilda in a pint glass. It's meant to be served in a Tulip, or even a snifter. Now, I'm sorry, but I'm going to ask you to leave" "What" "Yes, we don't like bigots here, get the hell out".

36. Unfortunately that is common here.....the brewpub in question uses 16 oz glasses, but your pour is only a little bigger than what I get out of a 12 oz bottle of their brew in their logo barware that I also use at home.

37. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

I like a decent head on a beer, but when I get a 16-oz pint glass with the top inch empty, I'll send it back. 25% of the volume is contained in that upper 1" of the glass and is a sneaky way for bars to boost their margin.

http://thebeergauge.com/

38. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Off topic but i went to this brewery in my town (I wont name the brewery because i hate it and i personally think the beers ive had there have been...less than stellar to be nice) the few times i have visited there i just order from their guest tap list which is usually ok.

Anyway, i ordered a resin and i assumed (wrongfully so) that itd come out in a tulip or snifter and about 10-12 ounces.

Nope, i got an imperial pint of it in a nonic glasss and only paid 5 bucks.

39. I have definitely had a few experiences with this. I sit down, order a brew that I expect to come in a pint (Ithaca Flower Power for example) and it comes out in a 12oz tulip. I didn't think to ask what size glass it came in because I didn't think anyone would serve it anything less than a pint. I guess I was off base with that! Asking what size the Flower Power would be would have been like asking how many ounces the duck confit is at a French restaurant.

40. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

The bar I go to has the price for a glass and the price for a pint listed. So if you want a pint, you order a pint. Then there's no confusion. Some beers aren't offered in pints though.