1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Standard Pour Size at Bars/Restaurants

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mikeburd1128, Jan 3, 2013.

1. neophilus

neophilus Member

I hate having to ask what size glass a beer comes in, I might as well ask how well they pour it or how much headspace they're going to leave. I'm getting less than 14oz in a full pint, less than 10oz in a 12 oz serving when they leave an inch of foam that dies before it gets to me.

But it still doesn't seem outrageous to at least ask what size the beer comes in before ordering, since 12oz is the new shaker pint around here.
  2. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

I dont understand pour sizes sometimes. I was served a pint of Big A IPA for $7.50. The place also had Racer-X served in a 12oz glass for $7 and the ABV is a little over 1% less. Maybe its like that because Big A is somewhat local?
  3. MegC

MegC Member

The bar I work at has different glasses for the beer's respective style: we do 12oz smalls and 22 oz larges of lagers-pilsners, dopplebocks, etc. and most ales- pales, browns, porters, etc. and belgian glasses for belgian and belgian-styles. We are supposed to pour a 1 in. head, and many people get pretty pissed about this, but it's more than fair. We have 80+ taps, so this can be confusing for new bartenders, but I think it's pretty cool for us beer geeks.

That being said, the beer that goes in belgian glasses is not ALWAYS dependent on the percent alcohol. It depends on the style of the beer and the percent alcohol in some cases.
    I'm also aware that not every place operates like this-other bars in the area typically do a 16 oz pint pour. Personally, I like the way we do it :)
  4. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

I would hope it's based on the bar's wholesale price paid for the keg - granted, most would think that a local keg would be cheaper than one from the west coast but that's not always the case.

There is usually a much greater difference between what many brewers charge for a ½ bbl. vs the same beer in a sixtel, on a per ounce basis. I've wondered if that is sometimes the cause for some draught beers price differences.
  5. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Member

Very little that makes me happier than ordering a 5 dollar draft at a bar, expecting to get a cheater pint, and getting a full imperial instead. Again, like someone stated upthread, there are two sides to every coin. If I'm in a random bar that's not beer focused, I expect to get a cheater pint if not otherwise listed. If I'm in a beer bar, and pour isn't listed, I expect to get completely shafted. That's just how it works in my experience. Also, if I'm in a beer bar, and pour size isn't listed, and I don't ask, I think it's entirely my fault and not grounds for complaint.

Seriously, if you're spending money at a place of business that sells glasses of a liquid for reasonably high prices, the menu doesn't say how big the pour of liquid is, and you don't ask, I don't think that's on them. I really don't.

I think it is MUCH more objectionable to LIST that a pour is 16 oz and give me 14 oz.
    dsal89 likes this.
  6. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

Bear Republic is usually priced competitively. The difference in pour sizes can maximize profits off the keg. People are far more likely to buy a $7 12oz glass than a $10 pint. Bbl size can definitely be a factor too.

Either way, I thought the situation was funny. I ordered the Big A.
  7. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Member

This is my only other comment about this - I personally like a head on my beer, poured well, and I have zero problem with this. But when you are a, ahem, larger beer bar, and your well-meaning bartender pours a 1 inch head on my beer, and then you let it sit for 10 minutes, and then you bring it to me, and then there's a 1 inch gap at the top of the glass, I want my beer topped up. That's more than fair also, right? I've gotten the dirty eye from waitstaff for that before....
    CanConPhilly likes this.
  8. MegC

MegC Member

Yes, that is more than fair. :)
    Some will give you the dirty eye, yeah, but that's what you should remember when signing off on a tip amount.. Bartenders/servers are supposed to WORK for their money and I believe customer service is in the job description at least somewhere vaguely...

Also, they may not understand what head does for a beer. I always top mine off if I've gotten busy and there's a gap. NOT saying I'm the perfect all-knowing best bartender, it's just a small quick fix that matters to me and the right people.

Note: It happens to me all the time when I go to other bars. Frustrating, I know. :/
  9. Beerverage

Beerverage Member

Sometimes bigger pours are a "hook up" (if you get a 11% beer in a pint when they offer other size glasses) but if its not a craft beer bar the bartenders might not know or care. There is a bar near me that just started carrying higher alc craft beers but might stop because thier bartenders are not using the right glass.
  10. iheartmanatees

iheartmanatees Member

I believe region may play a role in this as well. Some states seem more conservative in their pours than others. Basically, you can't get in VT what you can get in OR.