1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Starting out with Sucks.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by okcommuter, Mar 9, 2013.

1. I have, on two occasions, started out with a glass of Sucks to find that a few IPAs that followed tasted nasty. Only one of these was new to me, so I know the others tasted better to me in the past. Anybody else share this experience?
    WBD likes this.
  2. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

yep. I think it's because sucks is less tart than most IPAs.
    Jake_Ramrod likes this.
  3. That makes sense. The other IPAs seemed to taste like copper after drinking Sucks.
  4. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

Have some food. Hoppy beers can overburden the palate.
  5. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

Not to disagree but I disagree. Enjoying a sucks tonight and there will be more. One of my fav beers.

When you get on one hoppy horse it seems that another brew tastes weird. Some say drink water....WTF.
    I like to eat as I drink beer because...well you can drink more beer. Try something savory .

I have heard of people having a cup of soup to cleanse.
    thegodfather2701 likes this.
  6. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (170) New York Dec 25, 2008

I had Sucks followed by Flower Power a few weeks ago and the Flower Power tasted a bit metallic. I've also had Sucks followed by Nugget Nectar with no such problem.
    dennis3951 likes this.
  7. loafinaround

I noticed that too... then again, nugget nectar, although a completely different style, tastes suspiciously similar to sucks.... Stouts have tasted off after sucks for sure.
  8. jplopez21

jplopez21 Savant (470) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

Funny u mention that. Im currently drinking a BCBS right after a sucks and I dont really notice any discernible difference.
  9. loafinaround

well, bcbs's flavor would blow virtually anything out of the water. But the flavor of a milder stout... like a nitro or samuel smith chocolate oatmeal is definitely altered...
    jtdolla911 likes this.
  10. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (510) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Drank a sucks on the way to a bar and then sent back a racer 5. That's how good it is.
  11. It's called palate fatigue.
    RaulMondesi likes this.
  12. Noelito76

Noelito76 Advocate (525) New York Oct 30, 2004

After Sucks or anything that hoppy, if I'm switching it has to be a distinctly different style. I'll go with a stout or a porter and it works for me.
    victory4me likes this.
  13. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

:/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/

I'm going to throw up.

Anyone who "sends back" or "pours out" a beer because they have "Palette Fatigue" (a real thing) from "1 Sucks/Heady Topper/those are the only two beers nerds say causes this" (not a real thing) make me sad. I bet the bar loves that you wasted their money and time. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    victory4me, commis and LambicKing like this.
  14. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (265) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

Palette =

[​IMG]
    :)
  15. We actually had Sucks as a palette cleanser with dinner during my Barleywine fest..
    Was quite a nice switchup !!
  16. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Savant (495) Colorado Aug 10, 2012

Yup, tried following a Sucks with an Odell IPA (which I love) and it tasted dull and very malty.
  17. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (510) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Ok sorry we're not as good as you. Please puke at your will. I do bet that that bar loves to see me as I always come and buy/tip generously because I know everyone there. But I bet they much rather have you there being as pretentious as possible towards everyone. You love beer. Good job.
  18. Whychaseme

Whychaseme Disciple (55) Alabama Feb 20, 2013

I had a hop slam the other night, followed by a Ballast Point Sculpin, a great divide titan, and a Yazoo Hop Project #70. The later of the four, tasted awful after the hop slam. I totally agree.. one should eat or drink something completely different to cleanse the palete. Super hoppy beers can wreck your palette! Mmmm.. Green Flash Palette Wrecker, I cant wait for that this year!
  19. obrike

obrike Savant (415) Texas Jun 19, 2009

Here's the way to do it: Sucks, High Life, Sucks, High Life, Sucks.

You're welcome.
    KhakCane, YogiBeer and okcommuter like this.
  20. Tonight I did the reverse...drank a BCBS then a Sucks! Both were stellar, of course.
  21. If Sucks = palate wrecker, then High Life = mullet wrecker.
    obrike, Rainier and StubFaceJoe like this.
  22. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

I drink sucks before just about everything and it's better than the next thing I drink.
    Hermthegerm likes this.
  23. And General Patton will not stand for it!
  24. dciBA

dciBA Savant (370) Maine Dec 23, 2007

Simple solution. Just keep drinking sucks.
    StubFaceJoe likes this.
  25. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

You spend money, tip well and make friends at the bar, good on you. Sending back a perfectly good beer is still bad form.
    victory4me, mcrago and Bitterbill like this.
  26. After a Racer X, Racer 5 tastes like water. I know from drinking in that order in Healdsburg.
  27. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

That's not cool. And you say "we're" as if there are a slew of people agreeing with you that sending back a beer because you failed to have any foresight whatsoever while ordering is just fine and dandy.
    If you spend well and tip well, I'd say you got a fake smile from the barkeep while he cursed you under his breath for making him dump your perfectly good pint for no reason aside from your poor ordering technique.
    NoLeafClover44 and YogiBeer like this.
  28. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Lots of brews don't follow a really good DIPA very well, depends on the style. Sucks has a lot of fruit, big malt backbone to carry the hops, follow that with a thin piney IPA and I could see where the 2nd one would just die.
  29. I has a Sucks followed by a Flower 2 days ago. It was my first Sucks and was very impressed with it. The Flower Power was as good as it always is.
  30. Hope you paid for that Racer 5...
    YogiBeer likes this.
  31. Yep.
  32. What scares me the most is that people who don't understand this concept are rating beers and starting threads about how a certain hoppy beer sucks when in fact they have bad cases of palate fatigue.
    powpig2002 and YogiBeer like this.