1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

State of the BEER address.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Feb 12, 2013.

1. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (310) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

What do you think the state of the micro and craft beer industry is in right now and in it's future outlook? I like what I see now as there are so many new breweries popping up. There's also so much too choose from in beer styles and you can try your favorite styles by so many different breweries. I also look forward to future hoppenings. Like to know what you think.
  2. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (585) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

They'll keep brewing, I'll keep drinking.
  3. leezy

leezy Aficionado (165) Minnesota Sep 13, 2009

Walez mad hard to get now

In all seriousness though, I think brewers will start to experiment with multiple varieties of spirit barrels though they may not admit to it going forward depending on the outcome.

I also see lot of spice/malt experimentations to blend with a particular beer style. Grains of paradise in an IPA so on and on...
  4. Heck yeah, I need some more walez
    leezy likes this.
  5. jborg

jborg Aficionado (245) New York Dec 13, 2009

So many beers, so little time.

The variety seems to be growing and I find myself going through phases of grabbing new or untried brews and missing out on my favorites... What a dilemma!;)
  6. it'll be interesting to see if/when we get a drop off in craft breweries opening up. there are a record number of breweries in the US, and it seems they're gaining momentum, but some of them are just okay. it'll be interesting to see if they can stay open until the craft market eats into the corporate breweries' market share a little more or if we'll see the numbers subside a little bit before then.
  7. Too many noobs. :rolleyes:
  8. What you saw happen to Goose Island will be the norm.... The more in demand ones will be sold for profit and others will pop up in hopes of having the same thing happen to them...
  9. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (810) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I want more sessionable pale ales and lagers to go along with the massive Imperials. But I probably won't get them.

Otherwise, my prediction is that we'll see quite a bit more consolidation and expansion coming this year.
  10. Either the craft beer starts to take over corporate breweries market share or the corporate breweries buy the craft breweries.either way the market will eventually be flooded and it will all come full circle.good beers are way to hard to find these days,dang whippersnappers and hipsters buying all my sweet nectar!
  11. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (310) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

May see a few mergers of breweries to keep themselves alive?
    brewsader likes this.
  12. Pre- and post- prohibition, virtually every community had its local brewery. With the price of transport increasing along with the interest in buying local, it seems to be coming full circle with more & more small local breweries popping up. Some will be good, others just "meh" but local & fresh counts for something in my book, or glass, as it may be.
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  13. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

The State of the Beer looks promising to me.

The State of the Beer Geek is what concerns me. We got a lot of work to do here.
  14. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

We just want more and bigger beers. We shall not be denied our right to keep and bear beer!
    19etz55 likes this.
  15. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (375) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

"If you brew it, they will come!"
    19etz55 likes this.