1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

States where craft brewing is exploding

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mountsnow1010, Jan 30, 2013.

1. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

In my case/experience, Vermont is going insane with new brewery openings - every time I go to the store I see a new brewery claiming to be "Vermont's Newest Craft Brewery," or something like that. I would be really interested to see some data regarding this trend. Obviously, craft brewing is exploding countrywide, but I don't see nearly as much growth in NH (where I spend a lot of my time) as I see in VT.

I'm sure there are other states like this, though I would assume that VT has one of the highest brewery openings/capita/year at the moment....
  2. With over 1000 breweries in planning, the whole scene is blowing up. I wonder if the TTB has a break down of brewery in planning applications per state? Calling jesskidden.

Edit - Michgan has many new ones underway, but per capita not close to VT.
    Chaz and mountsnow1010 like this.
  3. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

4. Daktah

Daktah Savant (275) Illinois Apr 13, 2011

Craft beer explosions. Sounds dangerous.
    Rohkey and mountsnow1010 like this.
  5. Mississippi had one until recently, I think it will be 5 by the end of the year. A friend and I are talking of opening one ourselves. We're working up a business plan now.
    slatetupelo and ramblinwreck101 like this.
  6. dckepley

dckepley Savant (330) Iowa Aug 13, 2006

Iowa has around 17 brewpubs/breweries either opening or in the process this year. Our friends to the north (Minnesota) are going beer crazy as well.

Although the explosion is exciting...just because it's called "craft" beer doesn't always mean it's good beer.
    nogophers and hctap00 like this.
  7. Throughout the familiar state of drunkenness, craft beer's popularity continues to rise!
    MikeCactusGordon likes this.
  8. ScottUCF84

ScottUCF84 Savant (255) Florida Apr 7, 2006

I feel like metro areas in FL are doing well, got new breweries and beer bars popping up all of the time here in Orlando. Going outside of them though and you may have issues finding anything besides bud, bud light. Not everywhere, but I have found myself at a bar where this was the case.
    dcs1548 and kirbmeist like this.
  9. I don't think the TTB does anything like that but the Brewers Association lists "Brewery in Planning" under that heading alphabetically (by city! WTF?) on their Membership List (and, damn, there's a lot of 'em alright)- but, of course, those are only BiP's that are B.A. members.

Simplest way to find one's state BiP's I guess would be an Edit>Find for the two letter state abbreviation.

Also, not every Brewery in Planning becomes a Brewery in Fact ;) .
  10. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Mo town baby! Perennial is, of course, the big up and comer, and though they are very young, they already have a good deal of national attention. There is also Second Shift, 4 Hands, Mothers- a local favorite, and I know this doesn't count, but now that AB owns GI.... I guess we could call it Missouri owned. I also will say that recent trips to Illinois (mostly Chicago) and Michigan make me say that both are growing fast as far a great new breweries. Chicago is just ridiculous there are so many good breweries there.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  11. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Arizona is actually growing in QUANTITY of breweries. Not sure whether we're going the quality route though, which really, really scares me.

Phoenix area was grossly underserved in 2000's. It was disgustingly easy for the big chains to come in and dominate, and they did - Rock Bottoms, Gordon Biersch, & BJ's Brewhouses everywhere.

If the quality isn't there then I worry it will be like the 90's where nearly all of them bust. We had quite a few in the 90's and few are in business today, and arguably many of the ones that are still in business aren't so great.
    Jeremy6566 and mountsnow1010 like this.
  12. The BA list is for ones that have paid for a BA membership. I have seen some guys say on certain forums that it is a cheap way to be eligible to purchase a ticket to the CBC. So there are some Breweries in Planning that may not be Breweries in Fact.

Edit Noticed this one. Brewery In Planning - VOLKENSCHWAND, Germany
  13. jsilva

jsilva Savant (365) Massachusetts Nov 10, 2009

Mass has alot of new ones but in my opinion most of them are just mediocre aside from jacks abby and a few select brews from a couple diff breweries but there has definately been a pretty big push over the last couple years.
  14. hctap00

hctap00 Aficionado (185) Maryland Nov 2, 2012

Thank you for noting this. On more than one occasion, people have excitedly offered me a beer, claiming I will love it because it is "craft" or from some new local brewery. I am all for that and will definitely give it a shot. But being local or brewed on a small scale is not a guarantee of quality. There is a reason we hunt beers from across the country.
    mountsnow1010 likes this.
  15. mountsnow1010

I agree. I am not necessarily saying the expansion is a good one - it seems like it could just be a lot of people trying to cash in on a trend...which never ends well.
  16. mountsnow1010

I guess this means that it's time to vote with our dollars (as if we hadn't been doing that all along).
    yemenmocha likes this.
  17. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Washington. As of 2011, we had 136 breweries. I have no idea what the current number is but it's got to be at least 20-30 higher, keeping us second to California. California had 268 breweries in the 2011 count but that's with a population about 5 1/2 times Washington's.
  18. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

This exactly
    feloniousmonk likes this.
  19. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (310) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

I can't vouch for the whole US, however I can say that VA and NC are having breweries pop up everywhere these days! Lots of new breweries in 2012 and many starting in 2013! Great things happening for these 2 states!
  20. Connecticut in the past two years has really seen a boom in craft breweries throughout the state. Cheers!
  21. phisigben

phisigben Savant (355) Kentucky Jan 8, 2009

Indiana has been adding a bunch of new breweries
  22. a74gent

a74gent Savant (395) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

Literally had this with a can of Uncommon Brewers Bacon Brown Ale in my trunk....drove for 3-4 hours home with it and when I opened the trunk the can had blown open. Pretty tasty beer though..
    jgluck likes this.
  23. a74gent

a74gent Savant (395) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

As a new Masshole, I have to agree...there are a LOT of local brews on the shelf, but most are mediocre. Here's to hoping they are willing to look in the mirror and acknowledge it and tweak those recipes! That is something I don't get...a brewery keeps making a beer that gets rated 78 (and I presume sells accordingly although I know that is not always the case)....try to improve that crap instead of getting ready to crank out some new style that you are going to do a similarly mediocre job with.
  24. I gotta say VA and DC. Devils Backbone won lots of awards at GABF, Blue Mountain is solid and expanding distribution. Then there is Williamsburg Alewerks getting consistently better, their bourbon barrel porter and cafe royale gaining popularity, and their new Bitter Valentine double ipa. Hardywood Park in Richmond apparently makes some great brews that are gaining popularity. DC Brau and their OTWOA. Within the last few years there has been a good number of small breweries popping up in northern virginia , dc, and out along the shenandoah mountains, really all around VA I guess.
  25. yemenmocha

Exactly what I do. There's only one local that I drink, though I make an effort to try every local brewery and a good sampling of their beers.

There's too many regional crafts imported here. I could drink a Sculpin, or a mediocre local option. I could drink a Bell's Two-Hearted, or a mediocre local option. On and on...
    mountsnow1010 likes this.
  26. I have to second @pimpmidget and @legend8706 that the NC craft scene is really starting to blossom. An established first wave of high quality pioneers (Foothills, Olde Hickory, Duck Rabbit, Highland, Triangle, etc) but a number of newer, smaller breweries popping up (Mystery, NoDa, Catawba Valley,etc.) Asheville quickly becoming a center of excellence as Oskar Blues and Sierra Nevada open up outposts.

I'm lovin it.
    CWinchell likes this.
  27. leedorham

You really need to move.
    Chaz likes this.
  28. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I was actually blown away by how prominent the craft scene was in the Tampa area in my recent visit. There were quite a few quality breweries within a 30 mile radius around Tampa. Of course the heavy hitters like Cigar City and Pegs, but Seventh Sun was fantastic, as well as the grandpa around the block Dunedin Brewing. Also craft beer was apparent in most bars, and there was a good sprinkling of craft centric locations through out. Cheers to FL!
    Deltoro and MatthewPlus like this.
  29. jnoble

jnoble Aficionado (160) Oklahoma Feb 23, 2012

I'm currently in the process of relocating from Seattle to Oklahoma City and in terms of quantity Oklahoma isn't close to exploding but please just hear me out for a second.

The quality of the beer that is being produced out there just absolutely blew me away. Coop, Marshall, Redbud, Choc, and Prairie Artisan could be the start of something special for them. They are somewhat hindered by laws currently on the book but hopefully these laws will change in due time. Keep an eye on Oklahoma though as more and more breweries will continue to pop up and they have a very unique set up I was reading about where many of the brewers brew at Choc's facility in Krebs (please correct me if I'm wrong Oklahoma BA's!) which I feel adds a little to the culture being fostered out there. On top of that, breweries like Green Flash are beginning to distribute out there which will only help aid the process as people are introduced to more and more world class breweries and start to see what craft beer can be.

**Side note, I tried Coop's F-5 IPA and I'll tell you what, as someone who loves a fine IPA, this beer was top notch!
    Jips likes this.
  30. leedorham

Do you have a brain tumor or something?
    draheim and jnoble like this.
  31. jnoble

jnoble Aficionado (160) Oklahoma Feb 23, 2012

Ha ha! Trust me man, I love it up here but my hands are tied on this one. Please, don't be so harsh!
  32. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

While not necessarily happening state-wide, the front range corridor of Colorado (Co. Springs to Fort Collins) seemingly gets a new brewery every week…and I’m not exaggerating. It has gotten to the point where I wonder if certain neighborhoods can even sustain it.
    Chaz likes this.
  33. leedorham

If you root for the Thunder, you're dead to me.
    draheim, writerLJBerg and jnoble like this.
  34. With the rise of craft beer popularity, there is a rise in investors who are interested. And don't think the economy has put a damper on the number of people who have money to invest. The rich stayed rich, just a little less rich. Since the goal of an investor is to maximize their return on investment they will invest in those industries that show current and sustainable growth. If the popularity of craft beer was showing signs of plateauing, I don't think there would be as many investors looking to jump on the bandwagon. So, since there are plenty of dreamers who believe their home brew is as good or better than what's out there, those with ambition will seek out the investors and open up a brewery or brewpub. Doesn't mean their product will be as good or better than what's out there, it just means they were ambitious and lucky enough to get their brewery into operation. So IMHO, the current and sustained growth of craft beer is why you see so many breweries in planning, opening, etc.
  35. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

I wouldn't say Alabama is "exploding" but I see more and more new beers come into stores, especially over the past 6 months. Birmingham alone has 3 breweries, I believe.
  36. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I don't think Wyoming is exploding, per se, but we're definitely making a decent effort (especially considering our population/land mass). My town of Sheridan has Black Tooth Brewing which has done exceptionaly well. They exceded their 5-year goals by the 2-year mark. They've been buying more and more fermentation tanks and definitely have plans to start canning. I feel that just our town (pop: 17k) could easily support another brewery. We also had Clear Creek Brewery in Buffalo, WY (teeny tiny little town). They were the result of a Kickstarter effort; they had just been a group of homebrewers. They're also doing really well. I try to get over there as often as possible, and they're packed every night of the week.

I want more of the Colorado scene to spill up to Wyo. A lot of people want to open breweries, but the market is much more saturated down there.

Wyoming (at least in my part of it) has a tragically feeble distributing effort.
  37. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (525) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

All I see in Southern Vermont is Otter Creek, Long Trail, McNeills and sometime Northshire. If there is a craft beer explosion in Vermont the pieces aren't carrying very far.
  38. Yeah, I thought that might be the case...

I've never seen anything on the current TTB site (which isn't always user-friendly, and seems to be constantly "updated" - i.e., "can't find something you once did but forgot to bookmark").

The ATF used to put out a print copy of licensed breweries (probably cost 8¢ a page or something). This one's from 1976 and was only 5½ typed pages and even included sake breweries, pilot and experimental breweries (schools, malt houses, etc) but just barely broke 100 total.

[​IMG]
    Chaz likes this.
  39. yemenmocha

Love too many other factors. Plus, like I said, we do have an incredible import list of American crafts. So it's mostly beer bar & home consumption for happiness here. :)

Lot of places are worse. Have you been to Indian Wells?