1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

States where craft brewing is exploding

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mountsnow1010, Jan 30, 2013.

1. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Those reviews. How is that place still in business and why would anyone drive there?
  2. Kentucky has seen a few really small ones in the past few years open up. Not nearly enough.
  3. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Aficionado (160) Illinois Jan 30, 2013

I travel around a lot for breweries and beer bars. I continue to think the Midwest and NW is where it's at.
  4. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

San Diego had 17 new breweries open in 2012 and 17-18 under construction and planned to open in 2013.

63 currently operational by Jan 1, 2013, possibly 81 by Dec 31st.

That's incredible. http://www.westcoastersd.com/sd-brewing-industry-watch/

In terms of quality? The beer is B+ for Helm's, Rough Draft, Lat 33, and low A's for Monkey Paw, Societe, Rip Current, Belching Beaver...none are making bad beer and with time...they'll become even better.

There's actually too many options these days. Suxs to be us.
  5. The number of Rhode Island owned breweries has increased 33% in the last year!.

We've gone from from 6 to 8 :(.
  6. Would be just as interested to know the number that fail/close yearly?
  7. MacNCheese

52 new breweries a year? Right.
  8. Is anyone making a Pilsner worth a damn? The one I had out there was not very good.
  9. The Brewers Association lists closures in their annual Press Release that comes out in the spring, and remains on their website's Number of Breweries page.

10. MacNCheese

Possibly the brewpubs...not 100% sure. Not on my radar of beers I usually drink.
  11. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

In the last year we have seen the following places open: River North, Black Shirt, Our Mutual Friend, Crooked Stave, Prost, Caution, Hogshead, Rickoli, West Flanders, Verboten, J. Wells, High Hops, Big Beaver, Black Bottle, Hall, Lone Tree, TRVE, Gravity, Bootstrap, BRU, Echo, Very Nice, Vine Street, Wild Woods, & Great Storm. That's 26, and I did say "seemingly." That's an average of one every other week.
    alexipa and yemenmocha like this.
  12. Having lived in Germany, I do seek those out. If a brewery can brew a good German or Czech Pilsner, they can brew anything.
    Domingo likes this.
  13. vader06

vader06 Aficionado (205) Michigan Jan 13, 2011

Here in Michigan in the greater Grand Rapids area it is booming.
  14. Jeremy6566

Jeremy6566 Savant (270) Arizona Jan 10, 2013

I know exactly what you mean, we definatly don't need any more Fretzy or Watermelon Wheat Ale!

But, we do have a couple of breweries kicking out, maybe not all jems, but some good beers like Four Peaks, San Tan, Sonoran and Nimbus.

I am curious though, which local are you drinking?
  15. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Only care for Four Peaks. And I'm talking on draft at the brewery locations only - Hop Knot, Raj, Hefe-Weizen, plus a few others.

Jeremy - you mean you're no fan of Old World Brewing or Grand Canyon? Electric Dave's? Drink local man, drink local! ;)
    sbuysse, SalukiAlum and Jeremy6566 like this.
  16. jimmyr78

jimmyr78 Zealot (85) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

As a fellow Missourian, I agree. The St. Louis area is exploding. We've gone from a handful of breweries/brewpubs just five years ago to 22 within an hour drive of downtown STL, with two more opening within 3 months (Alpha, Heavy Riff). It's really exciting. The quality is not consistent overall, but Perennial, 4 Hands, Urban Chestnut, Civil Life, 2nd Shift, and several more are very promising, young breweries that cannot keep up with demand. In outstate areas, and across the river in Illinois (STL Metro area), we have some quality small breweries either in operation (Charleville, Mother's) or opening soon (Scratch - totally pumped for them). Anchored by stalwarts Boulevard in KC and Schlafly in STL, the area is poised to continue this growth.

There was one true "beer bar" five years ago - Cicero's - and now they exist in most neighborhoods. Flying Saucer is opening downtown, joining Bridge, iTap (3 locations), and a handful of others in the City. Even most restaurants now dedicate a few taps to locals, with many expanding to 10+ craft taps. I can't speak for KC, Columbia, or other areas, but I'm sure there are some great beer bars there as well.

One cannot keep up with the beer festivals - Lupulin, Wolpertinger, FestivAle, Microfest, Brewers Heritage Festival, plus too many more to list here.

There is a decidedly anti-AB movement sprouting since the Inbev takeover, with many folks turning toward local products as their lifelong AB loyalties wane. The market share is there for the taking, with micros still only accounting for 5-6% by recent estimates.

I'm not a homer enough to claim we're on a level of Southern California, Colorado, North Carolina, Michigan, Seattle, Portland, etal, but it's an exciting scene and time to be here.
    Goosey likes this.
  17. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Damn. Now WV is certainly in last place.
    Nope! I think we still beat NDakota.
    Providence likes this.
  18. gwdavis

gwdavis Aficionado (190) Georgia Feb 8, 2012

Georgia is definitely gaining some momentum in the new brewery department. Sweetwater and Terrapin (both fairly well-established breweries) are expanding quite a bit in terms of distribution and lineup. Red Brick, Jailhouse, Red Hare, and Burnt Hickory are also all fairly recent additions to the craft beer scene in Georgia.
  19. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

The great state of Chicago! ;)
    KevinMc79 likes this.
  20. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Some excellent Pilsners are made in Texas. Live Oak Pilz, Real Ale Hans Pilz, Austin Beer Works Pearl Snap, and Deep Ellum Rye Pilz are all top notch. I wish more breweries would make a good lager that is not just their substitute for macro crap.

On that note, Texas has certainly been growling very rapidly. Also, second OK. Some very good breweries there as well.
  21. jimmyr78

jimmyr78 Zealot (85) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

With the scene exploding seemingly everywhere, are we headed for a bubble bursting in a few years? I'm not so sure, yet, though there will come a day when lesser quality breweries will start failing with more regularity as people "vote with their dollars". With micros still only accounting for 6% of the overall beer market, my thought is that the ceiling is much higher, perhaps 10-12% market share?

Every 1% of the $100 billion US beer market share can probably fund a 200+ breweries for the long-term, assuming $5 million in average sales, which is on the high end for most craft brewers. Even the larger regional breweries are only in the $15 million - $30 million range.
    HuskyinPDX likes this.
  22. I was asking the SD guy.

Agree on the Live Oak Pils, had 2 at the Gingerman on Saturday.

Had an Austin Beer Works Pearl Snap, and that one was not excellent. Diacetyl, high bicarbonates so it had a muddy finish that was not crisp, and it seemed underattenuated as it was sweet. Claimed 45 IBUs, those were not evident.
  23. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Wow, that must of been a really off batch of Pearl Snap. I have never had any of that, no diacetyl (of which I seem to be able to sniff out a mile away for some reason), always supper crisp and plenty of hops.
    TheRealDBCooper likes this.
  24. Lancaster, Pennsylvania and the surrounding areas seem to have a burgeoning brew culture. I notice more and more brew pubs and breweries popping up locally. While Pennsylvania boasts greats like Tröegs, Victory, Stoudts and Weyerbacher, newbies like Spring House and Mudhook definitely deserve a taste.
  25. North Carolina. Specifically, the western, central, and eastern parts of the state.
  26. You must not be visiting the right parts of NH. Last year the legislature loosened licensing restrictions to encourage nano-breweries to open...and open they have. About 6 in the last 6 months. The most recent is Henniker Brewing. Other new and exciting nanos include Blue Lobster, Earth Eagle, Candia Road, Canterbury Ale Works, and 603 Brewing.
    mountsnow1010 likes this.
  27. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

All 50 brother!!
  28. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

That's not including all the little ones popping up in the mountains either. The crazy thing is that most of the new breweries we're getting are making good brew. I can't get over the volume of good to great beer being made in Colorado these days.
    alexipa and SalukiAlum like this.
  29. sm0key

sm0key Savant (315) Michigan Apr 24, 2009

I had a fermenter do that once. Use a blowoff tube, for Pete's sake!
  30. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (360) New York Jan 7, 2013

Definitely noticed a lot of new local breweries (and excitement surrounding them) when I took a trip to Durham, NC recently. A friend from Asheville was also noting the large number of new breweries in his parts. So I'd have to imagine NC is pretty high up on the growth chart.
  31. polisanl

polisanl Savant (250) Florida Aug 6, 2010

Just to add here, the craft beer scene in Miami is definitely blowing up. A few WOB's have opened up within the past year and they've been doing well.

The one I'm really looking forward to is J Wakefield Brewing in Miami (opening this year). Even though most dig the Passionfruit Dragonfruit Berliner, their entire lineup is pretty awesome.
  32. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Also, a lot more California breweries export their beers to other states, whereas most Washington breweries seem to brew for Washington only. So the per capita ratio of breweries to population is skewed even more dramatically in Washington's favor.
  33. You must have had a bad can of Pearl Snap, because it is an outstanding pilsner that is nothing like what you are describing. (In fact I'm in Austin this week and will be bringing several six packs back home with me.) I'm not a big fan of Texas beer in general, but I absolutely agree with Champ's list. Texas can at least hang a flag on making excellent pilsners and other German styles. When I lived in San Diego about the only good localish pilsner available was Trumer. (Draft, not bottles.) Now as to anything hoppy here, forget about it. They have the whole east coast "balanced" thing going on. And for some reason have a hard time producing drinkable farmhouse and barrel aged varietals. (And don't give me Jester King. They are far more miss than hit when it comes to their bottled product. See my Bonnie the Rare review for one of their more spectacular failures.)
  34. chaseabeer

chaseabeer Savant (370) Oklahoma Feb 4, 2009

Prairie is the only other brewer currently brewing at Choc.
    jnoble likes this.
  35. On Draft at Bangers, which is a new place the niece wanted to check out. Would think the lines were in good shape. I will try the Pearl Snap again next time.
    TheRealDBCooper likes this.
  36. MikeCactusGordon

MikeCactusGordon Savant (490) Ohio Feb 20, 2011

"Grandma lost her savings in that start up brew company"
  37. Keep an eye out for Virginia breweries in 2013. A number of them are popping up in Richmond, a few in the Shenandoah, perhaps a few in Northern Virginia. Virginians are getting behind the craft beer movement.
  38. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

That's how CO. tends to be, too. Of the 25-30 places that have opened near Denver in the last year, only 5-6 bottle or can and almost none of them distribute outside of the area.
  39. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

In Minnesota they changed the law for breweries to sell on site, so the breweries exploded in the state esp. in the Twin Cities metro. Too many beers so little time.
    sacrelicio likes this.
  40. You seem very concerned