1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

States where craft brewing is exploding

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mountsnow1010, Jan 30, 2013.

1. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Side effect from all this is GABF is looking to expand the competition by a day (rumor I heard) due to all the new breweries and it selling out insanely fast. Both for public events as well as the competition.
  2. lol, I almost had the Pearl Snap there last night. (Went Sculpin & Live Oak Hefe instead)
  3. Liked the wurst, atmosphere, and the other 2 beers I had. Will be back there again, as more TX trips are on the horizon,
  4. rolandboy

rolandboy Savant (250) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

this indeed. unfortunately quantity doesn't always mean quality.
  5. A few things about tweaking recipies and improving scores.

1. People trade and rate a breweries first offerings much more than ones that come later.
    2. Despite everyones best effort to be objective early scores bias peoples expectations and the scores they are willing to give. Most of us can't help but peak at the current score...it's human nature. We certainty can't tune out our friends that say "ah, mediocre!"

So even when you tweak a recipie you are really swiming upstream. Here is a good case study:

In our first release, a subset of Mystic Saison batch 1 went out that was sub-par due to less than perfect technique in bottle conditioning. Murphys Law, some very active traders got whole cases of it and traded extensively. The brewer responsible was let go. We worked like mad to get the beer back to where it was in our 50 test batches. It's quite good now, but the score is dragged down considerably because of a number of pretty bad ratings. It gone up slowly over time but is still 3.82. But you can see where our efforts have led...our seasonal beer An Dreoilin is the exact same current recipe for Mystic Saison (though fermented at ambient temp) and ranks a 4.14.

That said, your right. Jumping into a new beer is often re-rolling the dice. But I don't think anyone could survive if the launched with a mediocre beer and then just kept tweaking that one recipe...most people would wait a good 3 years before considering even trying it again...there are too many great alternatives out there. We take what we learn and apply the lessons to new beers, over time every beer will get perfected...remember, all the new breweries are still in their infancy.
  6. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,040) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Oklahoma is getting better, we really need to get our Brew Pub laws in line with the rest of the country. I've yet to have a decent in-house beer in-state. I am looking forward to that f-5 in can.
  7. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

18 new breweries on the list for TAP NY this year. Lots more in planning. I know of two startups coming out of my Homebrew club alone. Peekskill and Captain Lawrence just quadrupled their capacities. These be good times for fine beer loving New Yorkers.
  8. a74gent

a74gent Savant (395) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

Thanks for a detailed and thoughtful response. I laugh at the one-liners, but this is the heart of BA (along with great traders!): A brewery rep here to bring some good info! I had that thought about how long could you tweak one recipe and stay in business after posting. And your points on chasing scores are understood...that is the downside of BA and ratings although there so much upside for us.

I traded for some Mystic before I came to MA and like and respect you guys although you focus on a style that I don't drink that much of. Three Cranes was nice! And you have some of the classiest bottles out there...
  9. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

NC is rapidly growing, I'm not sure if I can count all the breweries, some around Raleigh some in the Western Mts. Some big Boys locating facilities, Ashevilles already fun when the ante gets upped on great beers it will really be world class.
  10. I'd agree with North Carolina and Virginia. Duck Rabbit, Foothills, and Highland are pushing out some good brews for NC. I drink plenty of Highland Black Mocha Stout and Coffee Porter. Virginia has a few that I've seen an increase in distribution from. Williamsburg is probably my favorite. They have a world class Pumpkin Ale and their coffee stout and barrel aged beers have been phenominal. I really want to try some Hardywood, but haven't found them here in Lynchburg yet. Available options of local Virginia beers have probably at least tripled since I moved back.
  11. If you're worried about quantity of craft breweries over quality, don't worry. With enough of these guys competing against one another, I would imagine that quality will naturally sort itself out. The BMC near-monopolies just help make things stagnate. Lots of craft breweries fosters competition, and will naturally force the best ones to the forefront.
  12. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

True, one mis-step early on can permanently hamper a beer's score. The flip side of that is that once something gets hundreds or thousands of reviews it becomes buoyed by past glory and it takes a shitload of negative reviews to bring it down. For example, if Guinness Draught was released today, as a brand new beer from an unknown brewery, would anyone in their right mind give it a 79?
  13. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

NDakota is currently at 5 with 3 new ones close to opening. That will be 7 new breweries/brewpubs in 4 years, including 6 in the last year and a half
  14. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Minnesota's beer scene is growing very fast right now
  15. csiewert

csiewert Savant (310) Oregon Apr 10, 2009

Oklahoma... go figure