1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Staying in Brussels and Brugge

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by Seanniek91, Aug 19, 2013.

1. So myself, my girlfriend, and a friend are all backpacking throughout Europe in September. We'll be in Belgium around October 1-7ish. Can any Belgian BAs recomend good, cheap places to stay? We'll most likely be in Brussels and Brugge. Looking for hostels or shared rooms or apartments. Any suggestions will be welcomed!

Sean

2. Brussels has a well-located hostel in the area of the Sablon and the Marolles. I know nothing about the accommodations or price. I heard it has a decent bar, though.

3. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (330) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

hostels.com is a good start

4. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (335) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

The Snuffel in Brugge is great and has a fun little bar.

THat being said it can be difficult to actually sleep with 9 other random people sharing the same room.

5. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (455) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

We haven't officially stayed at anyplace yet, but the room rates with airbnb seem really reasonable and a good chance to meet up with locals. We've already booked our room in Copenhagen in October and will use the service for other major cities. http://www.airbnb.com

ManforallSaisons likes this.
  6. Thanks everyone for your input!

7. Youth hostels or the cheap hotels from Accor Hotels !

8. Albin

Albin Zealot (75) Sweden Aug 18, 2013

Do not stay at the Bruges Inn. It was nasty as hell...

9. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Airbnb & the like are awesome...but don't stay at the flat right around the corner from Cantillon. Not a bad place, but noisy as hell at night & if you happen to open the windows, you'll get a good whiff of garbage on a warm day.

10. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Didn't you see that movie???
    The horror...

trevorjk likes this.
  11. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (810) Washington May 12, 2005

Went the airbnb route in both of these cities - as a group of 3 guys, it was 1 Billion times better than a hotel. If it were me and a +1, I'm not sure I'd feel the same.

12. I will be visiting Brussels that week as well. Let me know if you want to try and set up some brewery tours or anything. We will be making day trips from Brussels.

13. Great! Which breweries are you planning on hitting?

14. Where we hope to visit (in order of likelihood):
    Cantillon
    Drie Fonteinen (cafe)
    Het Anker (and Kulminator for a day)
    Blaugies
    Fantome
    De Cam
    Oud Beersel

Not sure on what else yet. We haven't set specific days at this point, but will be in town from 9/28 to 10/6.

15. Cantillon is the only one I know I'm going to. We don't have a car so basically I was planning on hitting up some good bars instead.

16. Albin

Albin Zealot (75) Sweden Aug 18, 2013

Het Anker is a nice place. But, they only have their beers from this year. No vintages and no other breweries. I spent the night at their hotel and dined in their restaurant. Great place and of course good beer but I missed the vintages.

17. afksports

afksports Savant (410) New York Aug 22, 2010

Corey, Sean,

I'm also there that week. Link up? (Corey didn't we meet at an HMOG in Atlanta?)

18. Lets so it!

19. afksports

What days were you guys thinking to head to Cantillon?

20. Haven't figured that out yet. We'll be in brussles for a while, so I probably won't know till I get there. Are they closed any days?

21. afksports

Check the website. 9-5pm Monday thru Saturday if I'm remembering correctly. Also - not sure if you or Corey want to see if we can swing a meetup at a Moeder Lambic, but I'd be down for some bottle list splitting...

22. I'd totally meet up at the moeder lambic especially to split some rarer/more expensive bottles. I'm backpacking so I didn't bring anything wit me.

23. Hey guys, a buddy of mine and I will be in the are tomorrow. If you are interested in a bottle meetup we would be interested as well. We are staying by Moeder and can fit it in anytime as we dont have a rigid itinerary.

24. I'd've down to go to moeder tomorrow night. I get into Brussels around 4pm so if you want to meet later 8-9ish, then that would be cool.

25. Ill be at Cantillon today if anyone else will be there.