1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Staying in/near Rochefort?

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by mjtierney2, Jan 11, 2013.

1. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (465) Germany Jul 31, 2011

Hello Belgian Friends!

Next weekend I'm doing a bit of a road trip into Belgium from Germany. I was lucky enough to get a reservation for Westvleteren, and am hoping to do one more monastery on the way home. Chimay seems the most tourist-friendly, but Rochefort is more "along-the-way" (from Westvleteren to Heidelberg) and adds less travel time. I would be happy to stay at either of these (or Orval, for that matter), but Rochefort would be preferred. Unfortunately, it also seems particularly non-English-speaking, just judging from the various websites. Has anyone stayed there overnight? Is there any hotel that you could specifically recommend? I see that one can't visit the brewery, which is OK, but does the Abbey have an attached Inn (ala Chimay) or Cafe (ala Westvleteren) were we could stay or buy souvenirs and beer?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback.

Cheers,

Your friend in Germany...

2. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

IIRC from being near there you won't be able to stay at the Abbey. You might check this out for ideas about how to find near-by places:

http://trappist-beers.com/rochefort/tourism-rochefort-belgium/

This may also be helpful if you haven't seen it yet:

http://www.belgiumtheplaceto.be/rochefort_accommodation.php

mjtierney2 likes this.
  3. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (465) Germany Jul 31, 2011

Thanks for the info. We decided that Chimay looked a little more tourist-friendly and booked a night at the Inn there. If I had more time I would definitely like to do a Trappist Tour of Belgium one day!