1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Steel Toe Lunker: Cost

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by maximum12, Apr 13, 2012.

1. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (825) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

OK, on the eve of the release, I'm wondering what everyone thinks of the cost of Lunker. There have been a few scattered comments & I've had some conversations with others about it. What you think of the $20 price tag? I have a couple thoughts.

First: I love that Steel Toe's first bombers were fairly cheap. Great decision. It meant I tried all of them without hesitation & found out Size 7 was excellent.

Second: there are some other brewers that are not doing the above, but launching with $8 & up bombers. Not a fan. And not buying.

Third: WTF? $20 for a beer that you can't try at the release? Now, I've loved Size 7 & 11, thought Rainmaker good, & Provider decent enough. But really? A $20 bottle on faith? That's a lot of faith, especially if I'm going to get 2 or 3 or 4. If I could try it first & loved it (a la Lift Bridge Commander), I'd wince at the price, wince again, hesitate, then buy it. But I can't.

Now, I know that I don't have to go, don't have to buy. Problem solved. But I'm jazzed about a Twin Cities brewery finally firing up a good barrel-aging program, & am hoping that Steel Toe, or somebody else, starts doing some world-class barrel-aging.

Debate, if you will.

deebo likes this.
  2. ReTag

ReTag Aficionado (185) Minnesota Apr 5, 2012

your just mad its not Cigar City, will buy it and give it a shot, will buy some for others to give it a shot. Will see you there.

Chaz and maximum12 like this.
  3. perhaps blind homerism, but I am going to get a few and hope for the best. I have lots of faith in Jason and am willing to make the gamble, the worst that can happen is I get some beer that is not super great, the best that can happen, I get some super awesome beer that will I will debate drinking immediately or cellaring for the future.

4. deebo

deebo Savant (445) Minnesota Oct 13, 2006

Third: WTF? $20 for a beer that you can't try at the release? But really? A $20 bottle on faith? That's a lot of faith, especially if I'm going to get 2 or 3 or 4. If I could try it first & loved it (a la Lift Bridge Commander), I'd wince at the price, wince again, hesitate, then buy it. But I can't.
    Couldn't agree more, if I'm going to shell out that kind of coin I want to get my lips wet first.

5. maximum12

Damn right I'm mad it's not Cigar City...and who told you about my CC panic room?

6. maximum12

Homerism...the first step to admitting you have a problem... ;)

I'm a homer on some breweries too, some all the way across the country, but I'm a cranky old guy first & foremost. I'm a huge fan of The Perfect Storm , therefore, I have high hopes for it too, and, ergo, I'll be in the damn line, too. I just need to piss & moan before I hand over my credit card.

7. ReTag

ReTag Aficionado (185) Minnesota Apr 5, 2012

the cash line goes quicker.

CaptainBeir and Ungertaker like this.
  8. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (450) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

If you bring your wife, you can get 8. Just sayin.

9. maximum12

Oh, she'll be there anyways. And I was planning on buying eight before I saw there were no samples & the cost per bottle! You better be there too, punk.

10. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (515) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Seems a reasonable price for a barrel aged 750ml barleywine. If Steeltoe's other fantastic beers are not enough reason, well yeah. I get it I guess.

11. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (450) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

oh, Ill be there. Damit. Life was just easier when it was just Surly and I had to budget for one weekend a year. Now Life Bridge, Steel Toe, Surly. Kind of excited for the Saga from Summit to see what that is like. Will be nice to see some 12 oz hoppy beers coming out.

12. exactly.

13. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (335) Minnesota May 13, 2010

Let me know if someone out there is only buying 2, because I'll buy your other 2. Cool? Cool. I'll also give you a fist bump. Thanks!

14. maximum12

Humph. Doesn't seem reasonable at all to me, unless it's as good as the '09 Perfect Storm. Then I'll gladly pay $20/bottle for it. If it's just OK or good, well, damn waste of money.

gatornation and morimech like this.
  15. maximum12

Hey, shoot me a message. But if you fist bump me...well, that's a long story. But it won't end well.

DoctorRock likes this.
  16. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (525) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

incutrav likes this.
  17. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (835) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

$20 does seem a bit steep considering Brau Bros. new Rye Wyne is a big abv beer, used the same barrels as Lunker, comes in the same size bottle, went through distribution yet costs $5 less than Lunker.

That being said, I still want to try Lunker.

morimech likes this.
  18. maximum12

MrDCGuy, couldn't agree more. Read your original post & it's about right on.

19. maximum12

Except that, well, I don't want to be rude, but I'd rather pay for the Steel Toe. Though I'll buy a bottle of the rye wine & not expect much.

20. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (835) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

I was just looking at it from strictly a materials cost, but I did really enjoy the Rye Wyne.

21. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (385) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

I was expecting $15 per bottle, but if they hit it out of the park none of us are going to have an issue with the price. If its not great we'd all still be disappointed at $15 so let's just hope this is another high quality local beer.

22. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Seriously, no one has an inside connection and tried this one yet? I would like to know before I have my Twin Cities Mule Boy pick me up a bottle. $20 on an unproven -bal Barleywine brings back memories of Lift Bridge Commander....

23. well someone was saying the non barrel aged barley wine was good, so I can only imagine how good this will be. plus steel toe puts out much better stuff compared to lift bridge, however, this might be homerism/I have been drinking beer all night.

24. dc55110

Ding! Ding! Ding! (except Commander was only $18, which I thought ((and still do)) was high)

Mr. De Niro will be in good company.

25. I thought this was only $18 too?

26. dc55110

Commander was $18 out the door (did end up finding it at several stores for less than $15), Lunker is eighteen and change before taxes and "Twenty twen twen" out the door.

27. Douggo

Douggo Savant (295) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

Apropos of nothing, but can it possibly be as good as CW BBBW, a 4-pack of which is in the $12 neighborhood?

evilgenius1917 and mnbearsfan like this.
  28. Mealhouse

Your right $18 pre tax $20 after so we should probably just be saying $18.

29. Yulles

Yulles Savant (315) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

Cranky old guy only. But you have a point. I think it is high. I was thinking somewhere in the 12-15 dollar range would be fair. Anything above 18 would be really tough to swallow. That being said, with such a low bottle count, I'm grabbing two for me and one for a buddy. Yeah, I suck. If it were 12-15, I would have bought 4 and brought mules with (actually sent them) for more.

30. Mista

Mista Aficionado (225) Minnesota Nov 10, 2011

Wasn't Commander $15 at the brewery on release day and then jumped to $18 retail?

31. dc55110

No, no we shouldn't. It is $20 out the door. Do we say Darkness only costs $16.10? It is $18, that is what it costs per bottle to walk out the door with it.
    On nationally/regionally distributed beer, when speaking in terms of $4$ trade value, tax is typically left off. But no one is say well Black Tuesday is only (I have no idea what the state/local/alcohol taxes are in Placentia, CA) $27.94, it's $30.

32. dc55110

It was $15 at the release party (plus $10 to get in, you did get a glass), the next day it was $18. It didn't make into distribution for several weeks.

33. Mealhouse

Your right in the brewery release out the door is probably the price to consider, I was more so going off the price to grab a commander of the retail shelf now or any other beer at the retail level for that matter.

34. Mealhouse

I still think if the beer is great no one is going to complain about the price (other than regretting not buying more) Steel Toe is certainly putting their reputation on the line with this realse though hopefully they think it lives up to and exceeds the the price tag.

35. be that as it may, if this isn't amazing, which I doubt, rain maker is still one of my favorite beers and I will stick around.

36. JohnBierman

JohnBierman Savant (265) Minnesota Sep 27, 2006

Cautionary tale...

I didn't go to the first Darkness day because it was cold out, I was sick and it sounded expensive (for a beer that I had not tried). I wish that I had a "do over" for that night.

A bunch of my buddies camped out at the Surly brewery with a small handfull of others. The DKNS1 bottles these guys still posses would make some of you guys offer up your first born children. Plus, they have some pretty cool bragging rights by being campers at the the 1st real Surly fanboy event.

Steel toe is for real! Support that company. They are the best newcomer to the MN beer scene.

I wish that I could go!

motorhed and CaptainBeir like this.
  37. Alpar

Alpar Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 13, 2009

Don't make the same mistake twice john!!!!

38. Mealhouse

Not saying its a make or break beer but success could really push them to the next level locally. I hope they kill it and I regret not buying 4.

39. Alpar

Alpar Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 13, 2009

You mean knuck knock, bro...

40. dc55110

Don't mistake my dislike of the price point, with dislike of the brewery. I will be waiting in line, front and center, bells on, etc...
    I just don't like the constant upward pricing of limited releases. And this is just it, I don't like it. I'll deal with it; I'll bitch about it; I'll write long posts on various internet beer forums; But I'll also stand in line and put my nickles on the bar.

maximum12 likes this.