1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Steel Toe Lunker: Cost

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by maximum12, Apr 13, 2012.

1. JohnBierman

JohnBierman Savant (265) Minnesota Sep 27, 2006

My beer life sucks this year! My GF's co-workers scheduled a suprise birthday party for her the same night. Instead of hanging with you fellas, I will be stuck at Chino Latino. If you see me, shoot me in the face.

Also, this year will be the 1st DLD that I have missed since year #1. I'm old and lame.

2. JohnBierman

I have spent upwards of $1000 to travel/stay in towns for beer events. You don't have to do that for this release. Others may next year.

Beer is a luxury in life. Don't spend money on it you can't afford to. Special release brews seem to worth more to some folks than others.

Also, don't underestimate the costs for a small brewery to buy/ship barrels. Templeton Rye Whiskey is the Surly of the spirit world! Huge hype surrounds this brand! For someone the size of Steel Toe to grab barrels from them had to cost. Plus, they probably had to go and pick up the barrels they were able to get their hands on.

This beer probably cost more to you because of the $/time spent inproduction. Lunker likely took more time to ferment that 2 batches of Provider. Steel Toe could easily sell more kegs of provider than they are capable of producing in their current facilities. The only reason a brewery their size would make a beer like this is to give guys like us a special treat.

Ungertaker, minnesotaryan and Alpar like this.
  3. Alpar

Alpar Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 13, 2009

You're making the right choice. I will always pick personal/family events over a beer release. I am sure you'll still have a great time tomorrow. I can always trade you a bottle of Lunker :)

Ungertaker likes this.
  4. Alpar

You're a classy guy Dan, I definitely respect your opinion on this and agree with it. However I know that Steel Toe needs more and more money to expand and like John said they are giving us locals a special treat. I am more than willing to throw some disposable income their way. I have been impressed with the beers they put out and I have no reason to think that Lunker will be anything short of fantastic.

Again, Dan is a great friend and I stick by him on his opinion, but the price really isn't that outrageous. How much did we spend on the Town Hall BA beers... Not to mention the CW releases this year, haha. 4-5 cases of 1414 just to start :)

5. JohnBierman

That is a really great offer! Thank you.

But still, if you see me at Chino, shoot me in the face.

6. Alpar

Haha, I did like that part in your post. Have a reverse cowgirl for me ;)

7. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (525) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

I know I'm splitting hairs over a dollar or two. Its the difference between buying eight instead of ten. For me it more about the ever upward inching prices in general, and this just happened to take the brunt of my frustration.
    I still stand by my original comments and price comparisons...

Anyone not buying their four? ;)

8. If people are still their at 6pm then maybe you will see me. As for the $20 it may be to much. Can I get a sample at the brewery? Im sure Dan will buy enough so I don't have to buy a bottle until 2020.

9. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

The price of this beer (and every other barleywine) is too damn high just by the virtue of the fact that King Henry retailed at 12.99.

brb, gotta call J.G. Wentworth. 877-CASH-NOW for those interested.

10. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (450) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

Nah, go to sesternsky.com, you can get $5,000 FAST You just going to pay 84 payments of $486.58 in return. But you can get you beer NOW!

11. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

My thoughts, since I'm sure you've all been sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for them. Do I wish the price was lower? Yes. Do I want it? Yes. So, where can I cut $5 (or $10, or $15) from my usual weekly spending to offset the price? I could skip that afternoon latte. I could not go to Chipotle on that whim. Maybe my kid won't get her allowance this week. Alpar could pass on the US Weekly at the grocery store checkout. And so on...I'm sure you guys are all making your own justifications--pretty much what I have to do every time I step foot in a liquor store.

With that said, I will not be able to attend, but would love one (just one!) bottle. Will pay or trade. If there's a spot in your beer-hoarding black heart, let me know.

biniek13 likes this.
  12. JohnBierman

King Henry was line priced with BCBS casewise from the brewery. Whoever sold one for $12.99 lost their shirt. That is close to what retailers paid per bottle.

13. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

I always like talking prices. I was the second person to arrive at 1am at the first Darkness day. I didnt bat an eye at spending 16.66 a bottle in 2007. I bought my limit of six bottles for 100 bucks in 2008. Bought two bottles in 2009. Bought one in 2010. Bought NONE last year. I've steadily gotten more and more apposed to bombers/750's over the years- part of that is now having a couple kids, the other part is I cant justify the cost. $20 is a lot for one bottle, but with exclusivity, comes a greater cost. I certainly dont doubt that it will be really good. There are a lot of BA's that can justify the cost, and thats good for them and MN breweries. I have a set amount i try and spend per week on beer-it really makes me rethink my purchases to get some most bang for the buck.

Two 4 pks of Fury, or 1 bottle of Barleywine? I will do the Fury everytime, with no regrets.

grantcty and tewaris like this.
  14. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (335) Minnesota May 13, 2010

Enough with the jibber-jabber, is it 530 yet so we can try one of these badboys???

15. The way I look at it, Steel Toe is a very promising, young brewery that could really use the capital at this point in their evolution and I am happy to shell out $20 a bottle just on faith since the previous releases have been so damn good. I have decided to stick with just a bottle or two (I have a friend picking it up for me, so I can't pull "mule" duty), as I am getting a little burned out on the "everybody freak out about special releases" scene. I'll drink one and age one....

16. will trade for saga

17. Jetfire

Jetfire Aficionado (125) Minnesota May 29, 2009

I'll pay the price this time, no problem! If it's great, I'll be more willing to pay the price again the next time. However, if it's not good, I'll use the fool me once methodology of thinking. I'm not too worried about it though, in the end giving money away for beer is one of my favorite things to do so it's a win win

18. MBrausen

MBrausen Savant (275) Minnesota May 24, 2011

Agreed! I spent $1300 on a 4 day trip to 7 breweries including camping for free at the KBS release this year. It's a hobby, not a need. I did it as a birthday present to myself.

Anyways, my thoughts on it are this: If I had a chance to try it first, I would be a lot more willing to shell out $20. If it was $15 out the door, I would drop the money without even thinking about it. But instead, I'm going to buy 2 bottles, and if it is great, hope they make it again next year. No sense in buying a bunch because it won't be trade bait anytime soon. I'll just enjoy the good beer while I can.

JohnBierman likes this.
  19. Alpar

I most certainly will not skip out on that!

20. MBrausen

MBrausen Savant (275) Minnesota May 24, 2011

I think anybody hoarding this beer is a fool. Steel Toe doesn't have enough credit yet for it to be worth more than the $20 you paid for it. I hope not too many people are showing up with mules, so that as many people as possible from MN can get to try it.

Coveralls likes this.
  21. lurpy1

lurpy1 Advocate (515) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Word up. Limited edition bombers are a bit of a sucker's market. $5 was roughly the going rate for a 12 of KBS, no? So ounce per ounce,a $20 bomber is nearly twice as expensive as the #10 beer in the world. So it should be twice as good, right? For that to be the case, a beer would need to be aged between a supermodel's thighs.

22. it is a 750, plus only 700 were produced.

23. Yulles

Yulles Savant (315) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

So that's how you do it. Just drop a bucket of nickels on the counter and run away before anyone has an opportunity to count them all.

24. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (525) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

I used to use pennies, but people got wise way to fast. With nickles, its all silver, so they think you may have some dimes and quarters in there. While they're sorting through, I'm long gone!

25. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

If said supermodel is Kate Upton, i would probably spend the 20. Otherwise, there is not a better deal then 11 bucks for a 4pk of BBBW from Central Waters. Im not a huge Barley Wine fan in general, but CW is the best I have had.

Ish1, maximum12 and evilgenius1917 like this.
  26. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

KH was $12.99 at every Binny's in Chicagoland. I don't see Binny's ever "losing their shirt".

I agree with Tewaris. The rent is too damn high.

27. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (825) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

There is not a better deal than the 11 bucks for a 4 pack of BBBW from Central Waters.

Just thought that was damn well worth repeating.

Ish1, Ungertaker and evilgenius1917 like this.
  28. Im a guy who legitimately thought size 11 was a top tier IIPA, and I think Steel Toe is a rising star.

That said, 20 bucks a bottle of beer is retarded, and every one of you who pays that much, while I'm glad you're joining our sport, stop driving up our prices. Thats outrageous.

Ish1 and sacrelicio like this.
  29. Syzygy00

Syzygy00 Aficionado (180) Minnesota Nov 25, 2010

$20 a bottle IS a lot - that's why I only bought two. It would have been nice if they had had some samples available. Then perhaps you wouldn't have had everyone buying the limit.

30. ReTag

ReTag Aficionado (185) Minnesota Apr 5, 2012

I actually opened a bottle for any one and every one who wanted to try it. It was very well received, very hot, but very forkin good. Glad I have 3 left.

31. I'm finding it was worth the money. I had it head to head with a FW Sucaba with some friends last night and it compared nicely. A little hot, but it definitely held its own against my personal favorite.

One more thing. Beer hoarding sucks and is very disrespectful to your fellow Craft Beer Enthusiasts. It seems to me that some people are more about the chase and the trades than the actual beer. I don't think much can be done about it, but I just wanted to say it.

32. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (835) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

I totally agree with you, but we all need to remember that it is just a beer.

Me and a friend showed up last night at 6:45 to learn that all of the bottles were long gone. I was disappointed, but with so much beer available in our area now, that is money that can easily be spent on so many other quality craft beers.

34. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (390) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

We cracked a CW BBBW last night after we had all had a few oz of Lunker. That beer is my metric for this style, I absolutely love it, I bought 2 cases recently because I don't want to live without it until January. After tasting these two side by side, I had absolutely no regrets about my $80 investment in Lunker.

35. JohnBierman

King Henry would have cost around $17 or $18 ptc here in MN. If we would have gotten any. I used to be the rep for Goose in MN.

36. JohnBierman

I will ask at the brewery on Monday if we can invite a few of you guys down for a sneak preview of Saga. I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem. We brewed it last Monday so it wouldn't be for a few weeks.

Sorry for the off topic post.

mothman and Sender like this.
  37. morimech

morimech Advocate (740) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I agree with you. I was contemplating going to the release until the last minute. After I heard the cost of a bottle, the buzz around here, and the weather, I decided to skip it and go to Haskell's instead on my way home. There is so much other beer out there that I have not ever had, yet possibly enjoyed greatly. I am sure I will get a taste of Lunker at some upcoming tasting.

38. I was hoping that you would be pouring beer at north coast nosh, so I could be like hey why aren't you pouring saga haha. also, I am super excited to try this. sorry for the off topic.

39. BA drinkers it is not the fault of a brewery when a local beer shoppe decides to mark it up beyond their control. Please don't get mad at Surly, Lift Bridge etc if you believe the beers are too expensive.

40. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (385) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

This pricing issue was on the brewery release so no shop or bar marking it up.