1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Steel Toe Size 11

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by SortaAmbivalent, Jan 12, 2014.

1. From the brewery website.

Tapping 1.15.14 @Muddy Water’s MN Brewery Showcase
    Tapping @STB Tap Room 1.17.14 / Bottle Sales @STB Tap Room 1.18.14

And with Hopslam coming out, this is going to be a great January.

2. you spelled expensive wrong

Cyclone8 likes this.
  3. morimech

morimech Advocate (700) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I was a big fan of the first release, not so much of one of last seasons.

I see that there are a bunch of ratings of this beer over the last few months. Was there another release or are people rating old shit? Of course no one has to say a word about what they are scoring anymore so I am curious.

4. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (445) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

I love size 11, one of my favorites out there.....

SortaAmbivalent and djschnabel like this.
  5. NeedBeerHere

NeedBeerHere Initiate (0) Minnesota Nov 21, 2013

Anybody heard what the bottle limit and price is gonna be? Still no word on their page. Ironically I have never had it. Sounds like a REAL hop bomb? What do you think? Any comparisons?

6. morimech

$11 for 750ml bottle, no limit

The easy comparison is Devil Dancer especially last years Size 11.

NeedBeerHere likes this.
  7. NeedBeerHere

They still take credit cards?

8. Yes, picked up 2 bottles today.

9. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

I grabbed toe as well, finished one. Wonderful!

10. nograz

nograz Aficionado (190) Minnesota Oct 30, 2013

When I was there tody, I asked if it would make it to stores. They said probably and then said maybe, so I got 4. I will probably go back next week to get more just incase.

11. NeedBeerHere

With all the traffic we hit our timing was perfect. Grabbed a couple size 11, had a couple of taps, then ended up arriving at the Lift Bridge release a couple minutes before they started selling. Sure is nice to be able to just go grab your bottles instead of waiting in a line for 8 hours.

12. Picked up a few yesterday at the brewery (along with a growler of Size 7) and to me this tastes more like 2012's beer. I get a lot of melon taste. I'm gonna need to pick up more.

morimech and psychotia like this.
  13. morimech

I am excited by this report.

14. NeedBeerHere

Have to say I really like this beer. It surpassed my expectations. Hope I have the time to get a couple more bottles.

15. Is it a "melon bomb", or does it just have a lot of melon taste? That's the deal sealer for me. Got to have my bombs!

SwinginParty likes this.
  16. NeedBeerHere

I got tropical/melon more in the nose. Less so in the taste (I got a little more pine that follows the throat) but I seem to have a perpetual cold/allergies so the reviews might be a better place to look than my opinion.

17. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

If people were reviewing it all along, they were reviewing older bottles, but I think that the last release was at the end of May 2013.

I wasn't around for the first batch, but I was here for the one in May. As big of a fan of Steel Toe as I am, I was surprised that I wasn't much into that batch of Size 11. On the other hand, I was there this past weekend and had a glass out of curiosity, because I had not cared much for the previous release, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I thought that this batch was far better than the last. I never had any previous batches, so I can't say if it is a return to what had come before or if this is all part of an evolution of what this beer is. I thought that the batch in May had a bit of an astringent harshness from the hops and this time; all those rough edges are gone and you end up with a far more delicious and drinkable (for the abv) beer. I had a second glass without even thinking twice about it. But beware, because I had to kill two pints of water with all of that, just to dilute the alcohol. Two of those glasses of an 11.3% beer, is almost like sitting down and killing a bottle of wine by yourself.

18. InfraRen

InfraRen Disciple (60) Minnesota Nov 18, 2013

Saw some of these at Four Firkins today.

19. travdawg7

travdawg7 Zealot (85) Minnesota Mar 5, 2009

Is any of Size 11 going to make it to the New Brighton area?

20. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

I am not positive but I remember it's pretty slim who gets any. Four Firkins and I know Ale Jail had some but other than that I'm not sure it gets elsewhere, maybe Heritage?

21. Lots at F44

22. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (445) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

hopefully its around tomorrow!

23. billhelm

billhelm Savant (380) Minnesota Feb 9, 2011

Liquor Barrel in SLP had a pretty good stash of it a few days ago.

24. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

They still do, I grabbed 3 today

25. theCoder

I found some actually at Haskells in White Bear Lake. Was in there to grab a 12er of Nordeast for a friend who's doing soem work for me and they had just got it with Hop Slam. Heh I didn't realize it got that much of a distro, $9.99 a bottle.

26. morimech

This is better than last years Size 11. Highly recommended.

SipIt, SortaAmbivalent and opwog like this.
  27. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

A
    Agreed, this year is fantastic !

SortaAmbivalent and opwog like this.
  28. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

does anyone know if they still have bottle left at the brewery?

29. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (330) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

How boozy is it? Last year's was a bit harsh iirc

30. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Savant (405) Minnesota Jun 24, 2013

Not sure about the brewery, but MGM Calhoun had a a few left today

31. Thomas liquors still has a few left on the shelf ($11 after tax). This is a delicious beer very well balanced. First twin cities DIPA that I had since moving here and my favorite. Better than abrasive in my opinion. Will have to pick up few more bottles.

theCoder likes this.
  32. Blasphemy!

SwinginParty likes this.
  33. my apologies ;). I'll be hitting up Dangerous Man, Surly and Steel Toe tomorrow hopefully trying out DIPAs at each brewery. My friends have been raving about Dangerous Man's DIPA for the past week or so but i'm not sure if they'll still have it.

McRyan likes this.
  34. I had it for the first time on tap last night and was disappointed. The hop flavors and aroma were muted and it was so bitter it was hard to drink. Hopefully it was just a bad glass.

35. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

If you are referring to that batch around May, This batch is far better. This one is a real grand slam.

SipIt, McRyan, runfoodrun and 2 others like this.
  36. theCoder

I haven't tried it yet, this is my first year getting any. But reading this makes me happy, I am not a fan of Abrasive except on cask. I've tried it many times, every time meh. It's good but I don't get the "hype" but it makes a killer marinade (Abrasive).

37. Still a bunch at France44? I told a few people that I would pick them up bottles. Wanna bring some to my buddies in Eau Claire and a friend at Casanovas. If not at France 44 which would be surprising giving all I saw there... Best place to pick a few bottles up?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  38. Sorry, we (F44) don't have any left.

39. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Can anyone elaborate on this more. The May version was embarrassing to share with friends.

joh02034 likes this.
  40. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

I had one bottle from the batch in May and had no idea how anyone could think Size 11 was a good brew. I bought some of this recent batch and thought it was great. This batch was really quite smooth and fruity(tropical), whereas I found the one in May to be over the top boozy and harsh(almost like cheap vodka was dumped in a Size 7).

Not saying it's for everyone, but if the only batch you've tried was the one in May I'd for sure give this one a shot.

McRyan likes this.