1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Steel Toe Size 11

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by SortaAmbivalent, Jan 12, 2014.

1. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

Plastic vodka bottled aged Size 7?
  2. psychotia

psychotia Savant (350) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

Yes my taste buds have changed over the years, but for me and my memory...

1st release > this release >>> 2nd release
    morimech likes this.
  3. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Ha, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I didn't like it at all. Being a big fan of Size 7, Size 11 had me baffled. I didn't have the first batch, but this most recent one was great.
  4. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

I don't know if I would go as far as to say that it was embarrassing, I think that it just wasn't up to the standards that we have set for Steel Toe. I did send one bottle out despite it not being my favorite. Yes, it was hot, but I have had literally every single batch of PTY (except this years), that everybody holds up as the pinnacle for 10%+ IPAs, and that beer doesn't exactly hide it and comes off boozy. It is extremely hard to make an IPA with this level of ABV and hide the booze. The best that I had ever had that did so was Alpine's Exponential Hoppiness.

I think that the May batch of Size 11 definitely came off harsh, but I think that it may have been a combination of that booziness with a slightly inelegant execution of the hopping. But I also always note that with some of these beers that depend so much on a major amount of hopping, if all of a sudden mother nature had tweaked some familiar hop for a season or from a specific source, that could have also been the culprit. But no matter what, I would agree on using the word "harsh" to describe that previous batch of 11. I live very close and from the last batch I had one glass and didn't care to order it again. So far on this batch, I have been there four times for a collective 6 glasses and who knows, I may slip in there for another one tonight. Size 11 at the tap room, and the Summit Frost Line in my refrigerator are definitely the two beers that I have been enjoying most lately.
    McRyan likes this.
  5. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (220) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Finally had (and hopefully the regular Size 11) the newer and improved version of Size 11 and it delivers. I was so shocked this summer that 11 could be so off from 7! Anyways this is a real treat to have and fixed.

Back to Size 7. I'm going to stop the regular Hudson trips for sue and buy more Steel Toe!
    SipIt and opwog like this.
  6. On the Steel Toe web page it looks like they still have Size 11. Is that really the case or have they just not removed it yet for some reason? I was hoping to get a couple more bottles before It's gone. I gave away a few out of the last 5 I bought to some friends.
  7. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (220) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

I haven't seen much of it. I guess France 44 had a lot.
  8. I found one last weekend at Haskell's Minnetonka.
  9. Thanks guys. When I asked the brewery was closed and I had to be in MPLS this morning. I called them and they have bottle left but unfortunately we weren't gonna wait 5 hours for it to open. Maybe tomorrow. :)
  10. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

I can verify it was on tap tonight!
    TheBeerDrinker likes this.
  11. I checked France 44 on Feb 5th and they were out for the season. Only place I know they have it is at the brewery. Thanks though. They did have a ton when I was there once.
  12. runfoodrun

And it's worth the wait! A very interesting brew!
  13. Yah I have a hard time picking between Abrasive and Size 11. Size 11 by a tiny bit? They are both so good. We have it good here. Size 11 tomorrow. Abrasive tonight. :) There really is no right answer.
    McRyan and opwog like this.
  14. runfoodrun

Indeed! I prefer Abrasive to size 11 due to its grapefruit intensity, but I wouldn't turn down either !