1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Steel Toe - Sommer Vice

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by minnesotaryan, Jun 6, 2012.

1. As announced on facebook just a moment ago.

Sommer Vice. Release date is this Friday 06.08.12. Traditional Bavarian Hefe-weizen. It's the perfect new brew to be your summer vice during the hot months to come. Stop by the brewery on Friday for growler fills and tastings. We'll have it out to bottle shops and on tap soon. This Vice will be here all summer. PROST! [​IMG]

2. Alpar

Alpar Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 13, 2009

Awesome!!!

3. TIMMYJ21

TIMMYJ21 Aficionado (210) Minnesota Apr 29, 2010

4. not my favorite style, but I look forward to giving it a try. I can imagine this being good on a hot day.

5. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Agreed, not wild about hefes, but the handful that really nail the style are well worth seeking out. Hope 'Vice is one of those. Happy to give it a shot based on what Steel Toe has done to date.

6. biniek13

biniek13 Savant (265) Minnesota Nov 29, 2008

That's unfortunate, I will be busy at Albertville Friendly City Days!! :)

7. IMO, big hoppy beers from micro breweries who have a niche sometimes don't understand their fanbase sometimes will not drink sessionable beers. If you are known for a 85 or 100 IBU ale your drinker likely will try your beer once but many times they will not come back to it. Sometimes it is best to either start a "label" with completely different graphics and design or not even brew sessionable beers.

8. Good news i will buy/ drink this one love Hefe's

biglobo8971 likes this.
  9. mjryan

mjryan Savant (480) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Wait, what? Are you saying that breweries known for making hoppy monsters shouldn't make ahem, I hate this term, sessionable beers because their fan base tend not to buy them? Confusing post.

10. considering how their other beers have done, I would guess that this will do well. I mean, they weren't known for barrel aged beers or barley wines and they introduced one that sold out in an hour.

11. loves me some hefes, Town Hall / Schells are great representations. Interested to see if there is another local option.

12. This assumption makes absolutely no sense. Having your niche be people who only drink 85-100 IBU beers would be the worst business plan I've ever heard of. Having a great mix of beers that appeal to a broad spectrum of people is the best thing a brewery could do. Session beers are exactly what breweries should brew. Great for the brewery, retailer and consumer.

13. Funny how none of these are in the 85 - 100 ibu region
    [​IMG]

KarlHungus and psychotia like this.
  14. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (810) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

You should check out Harriet's Wooden Weizen if you're looking for a good local hefe.

15. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (545) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

I will second this. Definitely my favorite of Harriet's beers that I've had.

16. There are breweries out there who want to be known as brewing big beers. They are great but many times they don't sell over the long term. You are correct by saying session beers are exactly what breweries should brew. IMO, Summit, Schells, and Lift Bridge are trying to do just that.

17. I am sorry I should have been more clear please read the above post.

18. I keep hearing great things within the industry about Steel Toe. All of them say, they are brewing great beer. Nice to hear. IMO, the more the better.

19. Buebie

Buebie Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 11, 2007

I really wish these guys could get there beers to other areas of Minneapolis (Seward).
    Interested to see what the color/ clarity is on the brew. I love me a murky Hef.