Steps to prepare homebrew kegs?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by mychalg9, Oct 17, 2012.

1. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I recently acquired 3 homebrew kegs and have a pale ale ready to keg (actually need to dry hop for a week....). What do I need to do to prep the keg(s)? Do you just clean them with starsan? I will be buying new beer/gas lines and a regulator as well. Also what is a good setup for 3 kegs? Can I make my own manifold for cheaper than buying? Any input is appreciated....

2. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Depending on how the seals look, I'd pick up a few of these rebuild kits (new O rings). Also some keg lube for the O rings and connectors. I've had connectors get stuck on posts before and it sucks.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18234/102295/Rebuild_Kit_For_Cornelius_Kegs

After new O rings I just clean with PBW or Oxyclean and hot water. Sanitize with starsan prior to racking and I've never had any problems.

The best/easiest set up for 3 kegs (assuming you'll be dispensing all 3 at the same PSI) is a single regulator with a 3 way manifold. I'd just buy a manifold, you won't save enough $$ on DIY to make it worth while (They're like $45). Get an old fridge or small chest freezer and you're all set. Things don't start to get complicated until you start adding regulators to get different pressures through each line. Hope that helps.

Good Luck!

3. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Thank you dap! Already got my fridge a few weeks ago so it sounds like I just need a few minor items and I am ready to roll.