Sticker Shock at Beer Bars (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by shebby, Feb 19, 2013.

1. shebby

shebby Savant (280) Utah Feb 29, 2012

Continuing a thread that appeared to end last April...sticker shock's still happening, folks. Last night we frequented one of our favorite beer bars in KC for a couple rounds. I noticed that a barrel-aged version of Nebraska Brewing Company's Hop God was on tap via the board that lists seasonal beers, and decided to order it. Of course, this bar doesn't display prices for any beers on the board, and I (foolishly) didn't think to ask the price beforehand. So the beer comes back and it's in a tiny six ounce snifter, which is understandable. Since I enjoy the regular version of Hop God, I thought it was pretty delicious, but then the check came: for a few good ounces, I was out 9 bucks! Now I know that Nebraska is spendy to begin with, and that bars also mark up prices, but I still wasn't prepared for that, especially since I've had six ounce pours of Cantillon for cheaper in the same city. Lesson learned: always inquire into the price if it's not listed! Anyone else have a similar story?

2. I live in Boston. I have a similar story everytime I go out.

3. phisherman77

phisherman77 Zealot (85) Missouri Apr 2, 2008

They got me at the Saucer on that same beer recently! Thankfully, I really enjoyed it. It hurt a little bit less, but still hurt to see that it was $9.

shebby likes this.
  4. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

In New Haven CT, we have the Imperial Stout Trooper that comes out every year and for the first 2 yrs during happy hour it was half price at my favorite beer bar.Now for the last 2 yrs it's on the no happy hour list, I love the beer but it hard to justify a $8 price tag.....CHEERS

5. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

I just spent $500 on 6 SNPA's--- or---- I lost $500 at Blackjack and drank 6 free SNPA's. Either way, those were some expensive ass beers.

6. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

I have some reverse sticker shock. There is a bar near me that on "Midwest Night" does $3.25 Hopslam (10oz.) and $3.25 BCBS (12 oz.)

7. o_O

ABisonEgo and loafinaround like this.
  8. New bar a mile away from my house. Awesome. Old raspy on tap. Awesome. 10 oz pour 9$. Ouch. And a 10oz sexual chocolate was only 5.50!? Go figure.

smutty33 and shebby like this.
  9. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,135) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

and to make matters worse, happy hours aren't the savings that they used to be.

Plus don't forget the infamous "tip creep" in terms of expected % for satisfactory service, and arguably service isn't what it used to be either.

szmnnl99 likes this.
  10. Some of you aren't satisfied with your happy hours? Oh lawd, how do you all survive?

11. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (370) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

$9 for a 23 ounce pour of Furthermore's Fatty Bombalotty, which you can get a sixer of it for about the same price. A 12 ounce pour of Hopslam was only $7. Oh and this was during "Happy Hour", so each beer was $1 off.

I've found most beer bars I've been to do a terrible job of having an updated beer menu with prices. I shouldn't have to ask, nor should I be shocked at your prices.

12. Ask yourself one question. Was it worth it?

13. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Local has happy hour.

3 dollar pizzas
    3 or 4 dollar drafts and not a BMC to be seen on draft. Hopslam, Bigfoot, Southern Tier Oat, Ommegang Abby etc.

12 ounce pours - 3 bucks or 4 - depending.

dsal89 likes this.

14. What did you expect the price to be?
    Are there other $9.00 beers there?

15. I did awesome tonight. Got a 5oz. pour of 2010 KBS for $5!, followed by a 5oz pour of bolt cutter for $6! I almost paid the equivalent amount for the bottle of bolt cutter months earlier (and I had to purchase a ticket). Long story short, you win some, you lose some, but generally you remember the beer, not the price, so it's worth it.

jgluck and Dizbro21 like this.
  16. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

15$ for 6 oz pours of KRE and KBE, each. Fucking worth it.

Czar_chasm likes this.
  17. Yep - it ain't gonna stop either.

I'm seriously starting to have concerns about the long-term sustainability of dedicated craft beer bars. My 12oz bottle cost at store has gone up from about $1.50 to $1.75 in the last 5 years. Yet my 14oz "pint" (with about 12oz of liquid) cost has gone from $4.50 to $6.50 in that same time frame. That's before we even get into the crazy 8oz $12 pours.

If this keeps up, you'll be paying $2 in a store and $9 at a bar for a local IPA. I simply don't know how people will continue to justify that kind of delta on a night out.

18. a74gent

a74gent Savant (405) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010

I saw this and immediately wondered if it was another soul suffering in the People's Republic of Massholedom. Having a few places with good beer lists is nice, but the appalling lack of freedom and big brother bullshit here is nuts.

19. They won't. Bars that insist on 600 or 700% markups will fail and those that make things more reasonable will succeed. Right now I'm looking at $7 16oz pours of things like Maduro... it's getting to the point where I refuse to pay that for something I can get a 6'er of for $9. There will always be situations where I will pay more for something rarer or something that doesn't get bottled... but how much does that really make a bar overall? The $7 Maduro is where the make a majority of their money.

I'm sorry, but when you aren't paying for, or paying peanuts for, labor... there is plenty of opportunity to make a profit.

20. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Pints of Raspy are $5 around here. $9/10oz? Ouch indeed!

21. At least you get happy hours.

Speaking of tips, I tip a dollar for every drink, occassionally two if the situation warrants it. Each time I've been to NY when ordering multiple drinks throughout the night the bartender has given me a buy back and buys one or two of my drinks. I can count on one hand how many times that's happened to me in Boston. Actually I can count on one finger....you can guess which finger it is.

22. But I can get a dollar or two off my appetizers after work!

ShogoKawada likes this.
  23. All the other beers are in line.. I asked the bar tender if it was wrong.. Nope, right there on the menu. NOT on the tap list though.

24. So true. Was in Chicago for the first time two years ago during the Bruins playoff run and I asked one of the bartenders if I could get the Bruins game on one of the small TVs in the corner of the bar. She said no, and turned it on all of the big TVs behind the bar. I get my tab at the end of the night and I'm only charged for 3 of the 5-6 beers I had, with a note on the receipt "Enjoy Chicago, go Bruins!"

If I ask a bartender in a Boston bar to change the channel to an out of market game, I'd probably be refused service the rest of the night.

einhorn and BrettHead like this.
  25. CLively

CLively Aficionado (175) Maine Feb 8, 2011

This is why many craft beer bars are going to start producing their own swill :). I would love to sta
    rt selling pints at $4 again. Coming soon.

26. dar482

dar482 Advocate (700) New York Mar 9, 2007

Pffft, $9 is a surprise. Come to NYC. I once paid $21 for a beer.

Lars3 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  27. Prices will come down if a large portion of beer enthusiasts refuse to pay them.

A large portion of beer enthusiasts will continue to pay high prices.

Prices will not come down.

Sarlacc83 and YogiBeer like this.
  28. I ordered a pint of Guinness at a bar recently. Ten bucks. :eek:

29. benbking

benbking Savant (295) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

#1. once in NYC I paid $8 for a bottle of Sam Adams and had to give the bartender my bottle opener to open it.
    #2. Currently I live in MA. I remember Happy Hour in MD very fondly. Multiple bars doing DFH drafts two for 1. Guess where we're moving next summer?

Spikester likes this.
  30. shebby

There are definitely other $9 beers on the menu, but I don't think I have ever paid so much per ounce - it was good, but I am not sure it was that good! And yes, I am spoiled living in the Midwest, where everything is cheaper :). $9 for half a glass of beer is expensive by Midwest standards (hence the sticker shock) unless it's a one-off or a brewery-only release, like KBE, for example.

31. shebby

I can't remember the last time I had reverse sticker shock. Lucky indeed!

sprucetip likes this.
  32. This is why I love drinking at Whole Foods, $3-4 for a 12-16oz glass of something awesome, done.

Hoptimus-Prime and jgluck like this.
  33. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,135) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Well, often I'm with family so it's the more family places where there's a tab for the table & all food plus drinks. The 20% tipping expectation is always more than $1 per beer.

The $1/beer rule is on its way out, imo, especially now that many craft beers are closer to $10 than $5. Lot of kids out there tipping $2/each.

34. dar482

dar482 Advocate (700) New York Mar 9, 2007

I will be honest. Beer isn't $21 normally in NYC. I was at Proliteriat and wanted a sour. The bartender suggested a 13 oz. bottle, Oude Gueuze Tilquin à l’Ancienne.

35. honestly I don't even venture out to the beer bars that much. The prices for even everyday beer has gotten really really high.

smutty33 likes this.
  36. Buddy of mine went to a place near me charging $14 for a 10 oz pour of Sexual Chocolate, I've never been there, and I never will go.

yemenmocha likes this.
  37. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (525) Texas Jun 6, 2010

hahahahaha ... the pint glass is half full

I love trying new beers, and in many cases, the only way I can get some beers is on tap. But in general, I prefer to save the money and enjoy the beer at home.

38. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Yeah, that beer is way overpriced and not very good. Oh wait, you were talking about the bar....

39. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (520) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

Just happen to be in Omaha presently. Wanted to try something NBC. The only one I saw at Whole Foods was Hop God. $20 for a 750. Not sure about the BA, as I knew when I saw the price I wouldn't get it. But at that price it is $5 for 6 ounces retail. If I knew that the price you paid wouldn't shock me. ... But still, I totally get your point and feel your pain. I like it when beer bars state price and pour size. $9 for a 6oz pour is a big difference than for a 10oz pour, for example. If a feller is making a decision to part with that much coin for a few ounces of precious nectar, he ought to have some good information about the transaction.

40. I visited a well known beer establishment in Orange County, CA that was selling pints of a beer for somewhere around $12.99. The bomber was also for sale - $11.99.

Spikester likes this.