1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sticker Shock at Beer Bars (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by shebby, Feb 19, 2013.

1. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I paid $11 for a 10oz but at a pretty upscale restaurant. I kind of want to go back and order it again but swipe the awesome old raspy glass it came it, then it would be worth it.

2. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

And as long as you keep making this excuse for bars charging too much for beer, they will continue to do so. The premium most certainly is NOT minimal compared to most nice establishments in major cities in the U.S. Even at the high end of the retail price scale for NYC, it's a 75% markup over retail, which means it's a much larger markup over what the bar actually paid for the beer.

Rents are high in a lot of places. Just because something is in Manhattan doesn't mean the rent is higher there than at a bar in Dupont Circle in DC, or Rittenhouse in Philadelphia, or at any other location in any other big city where high-income residents live.

3. Went to a pizza place affiliated with SF beer week and ordered a 500ML bottle of PTE - was shocked at the $15 per bottle price tag after looking at the bill. I live in northern California so I regularly pick up bottles of PTE for around $5 at local shops.

4. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Everything they bottle is BA :)

5. dar482

dar482 Advocate (690) New York Mar 9, 2007

I have yet to go to the "bar" Whole Foods at Columbus Circle in NYC, but it seems to look really nice.

[​IMG]

jgluck and Hanzo like this.
  6. Stuff you like is always going to be expensive, especially if you are into the "craft" of anything: coffee, cars, food, beer, wine, clothes, travel, etc. If you think that the thing is worth it, you'll spend your money on it and be happy. If you don't think it's worth it, then you don't have to spend your money on it.

7. Had a Sculpin on draft at some beer bar in Lutz Fl & it was $8.03 Had the same beer for $2 less at the mermaid the week before.

8. No happy hours around these parts :(

sure, I can get $2 off some nachos. But no beer discounts :(

9. There's a restaurant in Greenville, SC that has bombers of Southern Tier Chokolat for $30, Allagash Curieux for $40 and Foothills Torch Pilsner for $18. At least they were pouring pints of Duck Rabbit MS for only $5.50.

10. Recently paid $9.50 for an 8oz pour of Bourbon County at the local watering hole. Was expecting $7ish as I buy single 12oz bottles for $6.

On the flip side, I paid $3 for two 12oz bottles of DFH World Wide Stout. Originally $9 each. Thank you poorly trained cashier for ringing them up as budweisers or something :)

ESeab and jgluck like this.
  11. dar482

New Yorker here. Paid $9.50 for for 5 oz. pour. Bottles sell for $8.

Consider yourself lucky.

12. Yikes. 5oz pour? I've never even seen such a thing :eek:

13. dar482

It's 15% so I guess that's fine.

14. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

You've never seen a taster pour? (5oz is on the big side, but most beer bars around here have 3-5oz taster pours available of anything they sell.)

15. I didn't know we were talking about samples. I was referring to actually buying a 5oz pour!

16. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Damn. That BCBS is cheaper than store price.

17. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

But the bottles are reuse able so they shouldn't be factored in.

18. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

No, I mean most beer bars (around here) will sell taster / sampler pours. (You can also usually get "a taste" to help decide what you want, but that's generally going to be 1oz or so.)

19. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I know my new beer bar strategy. Play dumb and ask for a taster of something I know I like, that way I get an extra 1-2 ounces for the same price!

20. I'm thinking Rogue XS at my local Flying Saucer is somewhere in the $24 range. It's over $20, I know for a fact because I asked the waitress and she responded with "oh, its more than $20". No thank you.

21. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

Yup, I brought this to the GMs attention, and she just looked at me like I have 3 heads and responded "But it's from the Midwest." At that point I figured I should just shut up and order a second.

22. To me, this discussion goes beyond just sticker shock at a bar. As a beer buyer, I'm starting to get distributor sticker shocker. Prices keep increasing and new beers hitting the market are more expensive than ever. For instance, the new Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Rhizing Bines is the same price for a sixtel as Parabola. On what planet should a double IPA cost as much as a world-class barrel aged stout?

If a distributor increases the cost of a keg by $15-20, I'm forced as an on-premise seller to increase my cost per pour as well. It is expensive to drink craft beer in DC. However, a number of the craft beer bars here really embrace happy hour. Half price drafts, $4 drafts, etc. It helps offset the prices we're becoming forced to charge.

TheBoog013 likes this.
  23. Just remembered another: I was at a restaurant in Hartford and ordered a 750ml Rogue Morimoto Imperial Pilsner. $25. Bought it in store the next week for $12.

How much is the Rhizing Bines selling for? Ive been looking for it.

24. Kumicho

Kumicho Aficionado (110) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

When I lived just outside of NYC a decade ago, I had an $20 (gross) hamburger at TGI Fridays just off of Times Square. Burgers and a couple beers each with the GF (now wife) would *easily* hit $80.I shudder to think what the prices are now, but then again that's part of why I'm so happy living in WI (that, and the beer is better). Rent's expensive, staff are expensive, liquor licenses are expensive, but most of all, people are willing to pay it.

25. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

RedLight Redlight here in Orlando had a 4 year vertical of Ten Fidy, 08-12 they wanted $60 for it..... I had to think hard,,, not long but hard... SOOOOOLD

ESeab likes this.
  26. mmtmatrix

mmtmatrix Zealot (80) Colorado Aug 8, 2007

It all comes out in the wash right? That's how I 'try' to justify it...

27. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Got a 750ml for $16 in Boston...not worth it

Newbiebeer likes this.
  28. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (480) New York Jan 24, 2013

Burgers and beers for $80? Did you think the only burgers available was at Minetta Tavern or the Breslin? I live here now, and eat out in hipster Brooklyn\LES\Villiage all the time and have plenty of very good meals for two (with beers) in the $50 ballpark.

29. I stopped into Ynot pizza for lunch today...was rather dissapointed when I saw the only had local brews on tap...even more so when I saw the check and realized they charged me $7 a peice. Also was served with frosted glasses as well :/
    A little closer to home there's a bar I love going to, $5 craft brew pints(Bell's,Green Flash,Great Divide,southern tier...ect), $3 domestics. Even a "holla holla only 2 dolla" menu lol.

30. Lars3

Lars3 Aficionado (125) Connecticut Jun 26, 2009

Holy Christ!! I was annoyed by the $12ish I paid for Voodoo Doughnut at a local bottle shop a few weeks ago. And that was the expensive bottle shop.

31. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (480) New York Jan 24, 2013

I dunno if this is common elsewhere, but the NYC in thing for beer bars is the combo bottle shop\on premise type place. Top Hops, Bierkraft, Bruekelen Bier Merchants, Brouwerji Lane, Good Beer (although they don't let you pop bottles in the store, only taps). Some charge a buck or two to open a bottle in the shop, but it still beats the $30-$40 charges I've seen for large format bottles at places that are purely bars. And not having liquor means they can purchase a cheaper license. Seems to be the wave of the future to me.

32. Lars3

Lars3 Aficionado (125) Connecticut Jun 26, 2009

As a former bartender at said establishment I just want to point out that not ALL draughts are half off during Happy Hour, but the majority certainly are.

33. TheBoog013

TheBoog013 Savant (350) California Feb 24, 2011

This is because Whole Foods also distributes A TON of beers and so they don't mark up kegs they sell to themselves. As Distributors, they have no problem tacking on $60-$100 for the Bar Wholesaler to swallow.

Cheers!

34. atomic

atomic Savant (445) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Paid $10 for 10oz of BCBS Cherry Rye just now. Worth it.

willbm3 likes this.
  35. $16.00 for a 500ml bottle of Pliny the Elder in Santa Barbara, CA.

36. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

WTF

37. What bar?

38. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Does... not compute... why is Black Ops the same price as BCBCS when it costs $5-$10 more.

*gasp* At Voodoo Donut. You just know some Joe Six Pack is gonna pay that though.

39. I agree It doesnt and $36 for Dogfish Faithfull, Is it just me or since that brew was made in 2011, dont you think it would have lost some of its original flavor by now?

Plus its $36 for a Dogfish Etrusca, whyyyyy would I pay that when they are still on the shelves @ 12 ?

40. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

I know Lars,this is Jim btw.......lol.I'd say over 90% are avail. for HH.
    I gotta get over to the meatball house.You still working there?Same happy hour right?

Cheers