1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sticker Shock at Beer Bars (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by shebby, Feb 19, 2013.

1. I live in CT as well and was happy to see not only the smaller (more affordable) bottles on this years release but the local bars keeping the price standard.
  2. frizzzle

frizzzle Disciple (65) California Feb 10, 2013

I paid 28 for a bottle of sucaba. Thought this was a lot, but it was gooood!!!
  3. Was in a place for the first time last night that pushes itself as a "Beer Geek" bar. I'd checked out their beer list on their website and it was okay, but nothing spectacular. Turns out, of the 31 beers on their list they were "out of" 18. They did have Racer 5, so I stayed for a pint, which cost me $8. May not seem like much in Manhattan or Boston, but in these parts, that's a stone-cold rip-off. I did see that they had Founder's Breakfast Stout listed as still available, so I figured I'd have one for the road -- oops, make that NINETEEN dry taps.
  4. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

I agree, even by NYC prices $8 for Racer 5 is a bit much, outside of the fancier places. But the true Beer Geek places here would charge $6 for a year round IPA.
  5. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Its better not to ask questions. I was in Denver in January and the Argonaut was selling 4pks of GI Christmas Ale for $5.99. I know on good authority that this price is significantly below cost. I still see these around Chicago for 11.99.
  6. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

this reminds me: i go to chicago beer stores *a lot* and i rarely, if ever, see ancient product discounted to move. much of the time, it just sits there taking up precious shelf space, and it ain't getting any fresher. there is a place near me that, last time i checked, you could buy goose island fleur from 2010. i think they stopped making it two years ago. and i still see 2011 christmas ale quite a bit.
  7. My wife took me to Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD about a month ago for my birthday - I had a pint of Deviant Dales and I believe the other was Lagunitas Sucks, can't remember...when the bill came they were 7.95 and 8.95 each. For those of you not familiar with Frisco, they do not list their beer prices. I think it's getting a little out of hand.
  8. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Savant (380) Pennsylvania Aug 28, 2012

$33 for a bottle of Bolt Cutter at a gross Deli in Cambellstown, PA
  9. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Fleur is GREAT. never had the one from 2010 but 2011 is awesome. Not sure what that much age has done to it though.