1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Still trading in Texas?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by StArnoldFan, Mar 24, 2013.

1. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (585) Texas Dec 28, 2012

I started thinking about this the other day. I joined BA a few short months ago and hit it off hard on the trades. I will be the 1st to admit I'v had a lot of fun receiving packages with large loads of stuff I thought I'd never get to try, and also sending out what I believe to be great local product to other parts of the country. But here in the past few months we have had the addition of some great breweries in our distro like Goose Island, Firestone, and Ballast Point, with Founders following here soon. Along with all the great local stuff we have, is there gonna be any need to trade in the future? What is something not here that you would continue to trade for, or hope to see in TX in the future?

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  2. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I'll continue to trade for:
    Three Floyds
    Surly
    Heady Topper
    Bells
    NEBCO
    Hill Farmstead
    Lawson's
    Cigar City
    Alpine
    Russian River
    Hair of the Dog
    Pipeworks
    Dark Horse
    Kuhnhenn
    Fat Heads
    Terrapin
    Troegs
    Allagash
    Bruery
    Brash

That just begins to cover it.

3. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I tend to trade for the less well known breweries, rather than the "big boys", so I think that will still continue. I recently traded for a box of New England beers including Allagash, Bar Harbor Brewing, Maine Beer Co, and NEBCO. I dont see any of those breweries coming here any time soon, so I'll continue to trade for beers from small breweries I'd otherwise not try.

But yes, it will be nice to not have to trade for Founders, GI, Firestone, etc., any more.

4. DanzBorin

Sadly Allagash used to be in TX. :(

5. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Allagash was one of the beers I tried ordering off Spec's online before they canceled my order and said "out of stock" :(

I'll still trade for 3 Floyds Zombie Dust and Gumballhead. 3 Fonteinen. Cantillon. Any tasty Gueuze/lambic really that we don't get locally. Hair of the Dog beers are also phenomenal and I've only had regular Adam and Fred. Both HOTDs I tried were 10/10 top notch beers. The only other Russian River beers I want to really try is Beatification and Consecration. I whore myself out for quality sours.

6. StArnoldFan

All great breweries listed above but we have such great stuff here is it worth the trade? You feel like a wake n bake but have FBS here, or feel like a Pliny but have Endeavour or Double Jack here. Maybe you don't find those comparable but I do.

7. StArnoldFan

I have yet to have a sour I like. I do however have a Dissident in the cellar I'm going to try with the wife later this year.

Ford likes this.
  8. DanzBorin

Nothing in TX compares to the best IPAs sadly. It's getting better, but isn't there yet.

Cvescalante likes this.
  9. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

The number of new releases locally has caused me to horde less for trade partners. It's really tough to buy 2-3 for yourself and 3-4 for friends when there is a release every week..disposable income is a premium now so that's a big factor as well.

To answer the OP though..plenty of beers are still worth trading for but my focus on trades has been less what I recieved in return and what I could send out

StArnoldFan likes this.
  10. StArnoldFan

I'm cool with Endeavour, Enjoy By, Double Jack, Union Jack, and Sculpin. I haven't had a Heady yet but there is no way will I trade for Pliny again when these 5 are available to me.

Ford likes this.
  11. DanzBorin

While good, none of those compare to the best.

Sucks and Palate Wrecker are the best Texas get IMHO.

Aside from that, it's tough to find top notch sours here and it's so hard to get our hands on good BA Stouts and Barleywines that trading is worth it to me.

I also like to try new stuff.

boogercrack and bentwookie like this.
  12. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

The Twin Liquors off 7th St in Downtown Austin still had some Allagash about 6 months ago when I was there, believe it or not. LOL.

There's still a lot to trade for, believe you me.

13. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

I have really enjoyed everything I have had from Maine beer co. Just really good stuff.

14. Clonies720

Have you tried a Rogness Gigantophis?

On a side note, tried Fort Bend Thunder Stout. Totally "meh". Tasted like a homebrewed stout that lacked complexity.

15. StArnoldFan

Lots of great breweries listed. Ill prob continue to trade for Central Waters Peruvian Morning, BA Stout, and BBBW, until I see Bourbon County in town. Once that hits ill prob just get BCBCS, BCBS, and FW's Sucaba to fill those needs.

16. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (335) Texas Jan 20, 2010

The king Titus I received recently was top notch and I consider myself pretty well educated on porters. I'll be buying quite a but of it this summer when I'm in the northeast

17. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Freetail for Karbach (or Sucaba/Parabola). I find myself wanting to trade with people in state because with a lot of these beers, distribution isn't statewide.

Clonies720 likes this.
  18. Lutter

I trade a lot of beer that makes its' way to ATX for Karbach. Love their stuff.

Ford and Clonies720 like this.
  19. Clonies720

Polished off a 750ml of Rodenbach Grand Cru myself at the flying saucer. Mmmmm I've been missing out

20. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (350) Texas May 17, 2012

I haven't had this yet and I didn't know this was available in Texas. I brought a bottle of it back from my last trip to Oklahoma. Anybody know where it can be found in Houston besides Flying Saucer?

21. Clonies720

It's not distributed to Houston I think. Or else I swear I'd have found a bottle right now. If you really want moar, just ask Brandon @ D&Q to order you some.

22. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Advocate (645) Texas Jun 29, 2011

It's easily found on shelves in Dallas if you have a connect or I would totally send you some. I think we are the only area in Texas that gets bottles atm.

23. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

^^ this 100%

24. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

This. I think it was $7.99 for a C&C 750ml bottle when I was there recently. I picked up 3, but its not exactly my style of sour (has a wine-like sweetness to it, and I don't drink wine) so if anyone in the Austin area is interested, I'd be happy to trade out the 2 I still have.

25. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

I'll buy the shit out of Founders and Southern Tier when they get here. And hopefully Ballast Point will make it to SA eventually. That being said, there are plenty of other beers I love trading for. Like Duclaw Retribution. My god, that shit is good. And there are lots of world-class sours that we don't get here in TX that I'll gladly trade for.

I don't feel the need to trade for IPAs. I'm good with Ruination, Sculpin, and Hop Stoopid. And I'll be buying the fuck out of Valkyrie when it's released. Better than Pliny if they stay true to the Pro-Am recipe.

26. BgThang

BgThang Savant (435) Texas Dec 23, 2007

I was blown away at how good deep ellum ipa has become. it was off my radar due to first having it, but they apparently have dialed it in.
    I always like how people compare IPA's to double IPA's, so yes Texas does not have something comparable to pliny or hopslam as far as IIPA's/Double IPA's (although endeavor is a good start)but for regular IPA's deep ellum and 512 are both right there with headhunter and white rajah and blind pig.

jbeezification likes this.
  27. Lutter

I'd take those 2 bottles. Love Grand Cru.

28. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

I'd place Karbach Hop Delusion (Test Batch 1) against Pliny or Hopslam, though I don't view Hopslam as that great to begin with. How has no one mentioned Lagunitas Sucks yet?! Sucks is a hell of a lot better than Hopslam.

BruceBruce likes this.
  29. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Savant (395) Texas Jul 26, 2012

I was just at Russian River yesterday, and I am a big hop head. I really like Pliny, and I would be happy to get some here from time to time. I am not sold on the sour front. I don't think I have grown to appreciate that range of flavors in my beers.

From a locally available Double perspective, I like Rodeo Clown, Enjoy By, Dreamcrusher, Pro-Am becoming a year round excites me, Dorado has been readily available, Sucks is great but different with the sweetness.

Generally speaking, either you like trading and want to expand your specific beer availability, or you are ok with some of the great beer we can get locally. I don't think new availability will completely stop trading, but it may limit the things people are just dying to get their hands on.

icetrauma and H0rnedFr0gs like this.
  30. Clonies720

Drinking a 2011 Cascade Kriek. Holy vinegar batman. It is clench-your-butthole-sour. Cherries still come through though. It tastes very similar to fresh Russian River Supplication (but more sour) without the wine barrel/vinous aspect.

fragilehearted likes this.
  31. boogercrack

boogercrack Savant (340) Texas May 24, 2012

texas still kind of sucks for shelf geuzes and wilds.

i'd love to be able to saunter over and pick up a 3f oude geuze or tilquin at my heart's desire, like in other parts of the country.

32. Where is this the case? I would never have expected 3f to sit on shelves anywhere. Those trade with the best of them; Beer Geeks by them by the box right?

33. Lutter

Louisiana. Cantillon is a shelf turd there.

34. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Canadia too.

To the topic: remember, we don't necessarily get every brew from breweries that distribute here. DFH doesn't send some stuff here, Ballast Point doesn't send everything, etc. Those limited brews can be worth trading for.

35. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Spot on sir

Danielbt likes this.
  36. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (345) Texas Aug 13, 2010

I have bought dusty bottles of 3F in Oregon, Louisiana, Philly, Asheville, San Francisco, and the list goes on. In fact, the same can be said about Fantome.

37. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

Add Indiana and Kentucky to that list as well.

38. Lutter

Rare is still on shelves in Kentucky as well as King Henry.

39. boogercrack

boogercrack Savant (340) Texas May 24, 2012

yep. you can find "shelf aged" 3f oude geuze in bottle shops that get tons of craft nerd foot traffic all over the place. sits around almost as bad as cuvee rene does here.

*edit... and that's awesome.

40. DanzBorin

It'd sell out faster than they could stock it in Houston.